S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Help with S-class options/buying

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 03:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lexus LS430
Help with S-class options/buying

I posted in here a while ago about my parents getting a new S-class and I think they're finally ready to pull the trigger. What I'd like to do is configure the car the way we'd like it and then give the sheet to the dealer and see if they have it on the lot and if not if they can get it. What kind of discount off MSRP should we expect? When I bought my car (not a MB) my local dealership basically wouldn't budget more than 1% so I had to order it from another state.

The car is basically going to be for luxury, comfort, and safety around town and on long road trips. We are all planning on some cross country trips and want something comfortable for 4 adults.

As far as options, is it worth it for the upgraded leather or wood? I'm also thinking of getting all the backseat options for the tray tables, heating/cooling, TVs, etc, but am a little concerned with the massaging seats that come with the premium package. Is that something that would be uncomfortable if it breaks where it could be protruding into your back? My mom hurt her back using a machine massage a while ago and is nervous about having it in the car. I also noticed they don't have the splitview option anymore. Is it standard now or did they discontinue it?

What about the Magic Sky Control? I thought it just projected stars, but the description says "And even in its transparent mode, both UV and infrared rays are effectively blocked, helping keep the cabin cooler.". Would it help protect the car if parked outside in a very hot and humid area (like where we live)?

Something else that was strange was the salesman was pushing the 450, even though my dad doesn't like the idea of a V6 is a large luxury car like this. I'm fairly certain we'll get the V8 w/the S560, but was a little surprised he'd push the smaller engine. The salesman also seemed to be selling against Tesla, but that isn't something we ever considered (we're also looking at the new Lexus LS, new Audi A8, if we wait until they're released.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:33 PM

Received 193 Likes on 133 Posts
2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Max3732
I posted in here a while ago about my parents getting a new S-class and I think they're finally ready to pull the trigger. What I'd like to do is configure the car the way we'd like it and then give the sheet to the dealer and see if they have it on the lot and if not if they can get it. What kind of discount off MSRP should we expect? When I bought my car (not a MB) my local dealership basically wouldn't budget more than 1% so I had to order it from another state.

The car is basically going to be for luxury, comfort, and safety around town and on long road trips. We are all planning on some cross country trips and want something comfortable for 4 adults.

As far as options, is it worth it for the upgraded leather or wood? I'm also thinking of getting all the backseat options for the tray tables, heating/cooling, TVs, etc, but am a little concerned with the massaging seats that come with the premium package. Is that something that would be uncomfortable if it breaks where it could be protruding into your back? My mom hurt her back using a machine massage a while ago and is nervous about having it in the car. I also noticed they don't have the splitview option anymore. Is it standard now or did they discontinue it?

What about the Magic Sky Control? I thought it just projected stars, but the description says "And even in its transparent mode, both UV and infrared rays are effectively blocked, helping keep the cabin cooler.". Would it help protect the car if parked outside in a very hot and humid area (like where we live)?

Something else that was strange was the salesman was pushing the 450, even though my dad doesn't like the idea of a V6 is a large luxury car like this. I'm fairly certain we'll get the V8 w/the S560, but was a little surprised he'd push the smaller engine. The salesman also seemed to be selling against Tesla, but that isn't something we ever considered (we're also looking at the new Lexus LS, new Audi A8, if we wait until they're released.
You can probably get about 10% depending on the dealership. I know with my E class I was able to get well more than 10% off MSRP. Also which wood are you thinking? I noticed the "Designo" open pore black wood is the same damn wood in my E300 and it was not an extra cost wood for my car. I do like the black open pore wood it is nice. The massage function, if it hasn't changed from the 2015 S550, then it won't hurt you. It does not protrude much (think of someone poking you lightly, thats how I think of the current massage function).

I cannot comment on the split view because I do not know. The Magic Sky Control is like a tinted window on the pano roof. Based on the light (or heat) it will darken or lighten by itself. Its pretty neat but I haven't had it in any of my cars yet. I do not know if it works when the car is off.

The S450 is going to be what everyone will probably look to get because the price is substantially lower than the 2017 S550 (and 2018 560). It will more than likely lease better than the 560. Also the 450 is the new rival for the BMW 7 series (the 740i I think, the one they have with the 6 cylinder). I have not driven them yet so I am not sure how the new engines are, but I do know the 2015 S550 V8 is a good engine for the S class because it hauls when you need it to haul and its quiet and the transmission shifts well.

Those are my insights on your questions. Sorry I couldn't answer them all because I just don't have experience on some of the features and stuff.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,319 Likes on 2,055 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe

S450's are more available than the S560 and have more attractive rates as they are promoted by Mercedes. The sale guy likely tries to make it easy on himself than actually sell what a customer wants...

Get the upgraded leather. Starting with exclusive nappa, all parts of the interior are leather (dash, door panels, etc.) and the headliner is ultrasuede instead of fabric. Cheap option with a nice luxury upgrade. Massage seats are nice by and will not hurt anyone.
The extended wood options gets you a couple extra wood panels on the door and back of the front seats. Based on options, you can't avoid getting that too but it looks good. Open pore wood is new to the S-Class but looks cheap IMO; probably a side effect of seeing it always in cheaper MB loaners/rentals. Sorry for being a snob I like the gloss.
No fan of piano black but the piano with flowing lines is quite elegant.

Magic sky is something many have opinions on without any actual experience. We have it in the convertible and I like it. It is electro chromatic which means it darkens from non-tinted near clear (brighter than regular pano roof) to a darker blue tint with a press of a button. So it's an electric tint that is dark whenever the power is off but will not be opaque. If you like to have the glass roof covered from the inside, then it is not for you. Is is for an airy cabin. It does keep the car cooler then a regular panorama roof as it blocks UV radiation.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lexus LS430
Thanks for the help so far!

One thing I didn't realize was that you can't remove the Screens from the backseat, which is making me rethink getting the Executive Rear Seat Package/Package Plus even though I really wanted the tray tables. The website isn't very clear about the screens. From the backseat can you see and control the navigation system? Also, what kind of inputs does it have? All I can tell is that it has wireless headphones. Most of my devices use HDMI so it would be nice if I could connect them to it.

If I didn't want to get the Executive Rear Seat Package because of not wanting the screen, would separately checking the "Power outboard rear seats with memory" option give the same level of seat control and comfort, but without the massage?

The website doesn't explain these options very well and the salesman at the dealership didn't really know these options very well.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:55 PM

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts
20 G63, 19 720s
Thanks for the help so far!

One thing I didn't realize was that you can't remove the Screens from the backseat, which is making me rethink getting the Executive Rear Seat Package/Package Plus even though I really wanted the tray tables. The website isn't very clear about the screens. From the backseat can you see and control the navigation system? Also, what kind of inputs does it have? All I can tell is that it has wireless headphones. Most of my devices use HDMI so it would be nice if I could connect them to it.

If I didn't want to get the Executive Rear Seat Package because of not wanting the screen, would separately checking the "Power outboard rear seats with memory" option give the same level of seat control and comfort, but without the massage?

The website doesn't explain these options very well and the salesman at the dealership didn't really know these options very well.
+1 on what @Wolfman said. Leather upgrades are always well worth in the S imo. They leather'd alot of parts in the S-class.

Powered Rear seats recline 37 degree and with the rear seat pkg, you also get the powered footrest for the passenger rear only. Executive rear seat gets the 43 degree recline and most importantly, the calf rest. Once again, also rear pass. side only. Don't even worry about the massage if they're broken, they're very weak. Powered rear seats is pretty comfy and nice feature to have.

Factory screens are fixed, non-removable. Everything you can do in the front, you can do in the rear so that does include navigation. No HDMI, just RCA and usb.