S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

AMG Rim Questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2018 | 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
AMG Rim Questions...

Anyone know what the difference is if any other than color on the following rims...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-19X8-...item3f7feeb44d

I currently have a 2014 AMG Pkg S550 4Matic. It has original AMG 5 Spoke Rims that were PVD Coated ( Black Chrome / Gunmetal ) The company that had this specific color is out of business. There are 2 other companies that will do PVD, but the colors vary greatly. None will match what I have. 2 Rims were curbed... Ouch.

I like the look of the PVD coated Rims, makes the car stand out and hides a lot of the Brake Dust. They just make the car pop. I see the CL63 has these as an option. Will they be a direct replacement for the Current S Class 5 spoke with the staggered wheels? Also, are they PVD or chrome? The PVD rims are not affected by road salt / corrosion...

I do not want to put any after market Knock Off Rims or refurbished.

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2018 | 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Anyone...
Old 01-11-2018 | 04:15 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Nice Ride
Anyone know what the difference is if any other than color on the following rims...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-19X8-...item3f7feeb44d

I currently have a 2014 AMG Pkg S550 4Matic. It has original AMG 5 Spoke Rims that were PVD Coated ( Black Chrome / Gunmetal ) The company that had this specific color is out of business. There are 2 other companies that will do PVD, but the colors vary greatly. None will match what I have. 2 Rims were curbed... Ouch.

I like the look of the PVD coated Rims, makes the car stand out and hides a lot of the Brake Dust. They just make the car pop. I see the CL63 has these as an option. Will they be a direct replacement for the Current S Class 5 spoke with the staggered wheels? Also, are they PVD or chrome? The PVD rims are not affected by road salt / corrosion...

I do not want to put any after market Knock Off Rims or refurbished.

Thanks.
Well. First off, Mercedes has never offered chrome wheels (plated or PVD), so whatever you see is aftermarket. As you stated, wheels from different vendors will likely never match in shade/color. Your 5 spokes should be 19" wheels; personally I would recommend 20" as that size looks better for the car. You will likely have to redo the set completely. I would refinish the wheels in aluminum face and gunmetal color for the rest. That would probably be $1k or so. Or sell yours on Ebay and get 20" S63 wheels. Those are much better quality anyway as they are forged instead of cast aluminum. Stronger and lesser unsprung weight.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Nice Ride (01-11-2018)