OT: Ferrari CEO Sergio Marchionne comes full circle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
OT: Ferrari CEO Sergio Marchionne comes full circle

At the 2016 Geneva Motor Show, Ferrari Chairman Sergio Marchionne told reporters that Ferrari is not interested in building an all-electric car. "With Ferrari, it's almost an obscene concept," were his exact words. He added, "You'd have to shoot me first." https://www.autoblog.com/2016/03/04/...scene-concept/

That was then, this is now: Ferrari will make a battery-powered supercar to challenge Tesla at the high end of the electric-auto market....Marchionne reckons, for example, that by 2025 fewer than half the cars sold will be be fully combustion-powered, as gas and diesel give way to hybrid, electric and fuel cell drivetrains. http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...ket-marchionne

...basically, the plan is for a full EV to come after Ferrari hybrids.

Last edited by syswei; 01-17-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:04 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
S65, SL65
This is the same guy that trashed all the customers who bought Ferrari Californias - highest selling model ever of any Ferrari offering, by orders of magnitude,
Called the car “a mistake” and a personal disappointment to him. Those statements in the spring of 2017 helped crater the lease residuals and resale value of those models. Many of his customers were harmed by this thoughtlessness. I cancelled an ordered car due to his statements and the fact the the Portofina was secretly being developed, allegedly without the knowledge of the US dealer sales reps. as confirmed by multiple dealership reps.
He’s the self proclaimed automotive expert but I’m not sure this particular situation was handled optimally. Not impressed.