S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

wiper blade replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 05:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 S550
wiper blade replacement

so my dealer just told me that I am in the "yellow" category for wiper blade replacement (meaning I will need it soon) due to the age and mileage on my '15 S550 (4 years old with 10,000 miles on it). They quoted me a price of $250 (with tax and installation) for wiper blades? Supposedly the wipers themselves cost $210 + tax, while labor is only $12.95.

Am I missing something here? why is it so expensive? Can I buy my own blades for cheaper (OEM on ebay looks to be about $70/pair) and install myself? do I need to use MB branded wipers?
Old 02-06-2018, 06:44 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by cheapbrass
Am I missing something here? why is it so expensive? Can I buy my own blades for cheaper (OEM on ebay looks to be about $70/pair) and install myself? do I need to use MB branded wipers?
The original equipment blades feature built in washer fluid nozzles in the center of the blade. Other blades will fit but you will lose that feature. The OE blades are available online and they are available under $200. Installation is easy.
The following users liked this post:
p71 (10-03-2023)
Old 02-06-2018, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 971 Likes on 711 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
$250 Wiper blades??? Man that is the very definition of pay to play.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 538 Likes on 374 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
Or the definition of rip off.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:21 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,393 Likes on 2,840 Posts
2012 CLS63
This kind of stuff is why I'm kind of sick of Mercedes Benz
Old 02-06-2018, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 538 Likes on 374 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
Agreed, contemplating a replacement for my MY12 S550 and have been set on a MY15 but stuff like this makes me wonder if it might be time for a Land Cruiser or Lexus.
Maciektx (10-05-2023)
Old 02-06-2018, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 196 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by MBZFAN55
The original equipment blades feature built in washer fluid nozzles in the center of the blade. Other blades will fit but you will lose that feature. The OE blades are available online and they are available under $200. Installation is easy.
Not correct, I attached the video showing exactly how the blade operates. Heated and Nozzles on Each Side of the Blade. Slow Motion Video will show exactly how it works. Its so fast on my car that the video really shows you the micro openings in action.

I'm pretty sure your CANNOT use any other blade.
Hope this helps...
Old 02-17-2018, 05:23 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by Nice Ride
Not correct, I attached the video showing exactly how the blade operates. Heated and Nozzles on Each Side of the Blade. Slow Motion Video will show exactly how it works. Its so fast on my car that the video really shows you the micro openings in action.

I'm pretty sure your CANNOT use any other blade.
Hope this helps...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07AZHkkLR0k
As I CORRECTLY stated, you CAN use an aftermarket blade but you will lose the heated spray feature. Numerous aftermarket wiper manufacturers catalog 22 & 24 inch blades that will clip in place with most under $10.00. I don't envision many on this forum utilizing these but nonetheless they are available if someone chooses not to part with the OEM product and price.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:15 PM

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
2015 MBZ S 550
As I CORRECTLY stated, you CAN use an aftermarket blade but you will lose the heated spray feature. Numerous aftermarket wiper manufacturers catalog 22 & 24 inch blades that will clip in place with most under $10.00. I don't envision many on this forum utilizing these but nonetheless they are available if someone chooses not to part with the OEM product and price.
‘You will lose the ability to clean your front windshield with washer fluid altogether. There are no jets on the hood to spray the windshield, they are built into the wiper blades. Extremely cool technology and worth every penny, imho. If you are buying a tech laden $120,000.00 plus vehicle, expect to pay a few extra dollars for this tech.

If not, buy a Honda.
The following 4 users liked this post by Socalsteve:
badq45t (10-05-2023), Carfan500 (03-11-2018), JB-HTX (03-20-2024), Nice Ride (02-18-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 971 Likes on 711 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Can you just buy a rubber insert to replace the existing one and keep the blade? Seems to me that is how it should be designed.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:12 PM

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Can you just buy a rubber insert to replace the existing one and keep the blade? Seems to me that is how it should be designed.
The rubber insert is a part of the entire system that has the laser cut holes that dispense the washer fluid on the windshield. So no, that is not how it is designed. Don’t believe they could design it the way you suggest. And, even if it could, it would still be really expensive.

Its actually a brilliantly designed concept. Washer fluid does not go anywhere but on the windshield. I’d happily pay more for this technology.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 196 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Cool

So what do you do with the hose connection for the Fluid? Extremely unsafe not to have Fluid to clean windshield. Then again, you can point them up to get rid of the tailgaters......
Old 10-03-2023, 05:38 PM
p71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s63 amg
Instructions please to install

Originally Posted by cheapbrass
so my dealer just told me that I am in the "yellow" category for wiper blade replacement (meaning I will need it soon) due to the age and mileage on my '15 S550 (4 years old with 10,000 miles on it). They quoted me a price of $250 (with tax and installation) for wiper blades? Supposedly the wipers themselves cost $210 + tax, while labor is only $12.95.

hello , do you have instructions ?
Old 10-03-2023, 09:14 PM

Received 223 Likes on 132 Posts
'20 GLS450, '17 S550 Sedan
Well, I'll have to take a guess at what you mean by instructions, so here goes:

Your W222 has MAGIC VISION CONTROL. The best explanation is found here:

As such, it is imperative that your wiper blades be the correct part#: 222-820-11-45

The blades are easy to replace on your own; there is a release button which allows them to snap on/off, just like most blades.

I have purchased 3 times from eBay, always paying in the $135-$150 range. I just searched and found these available today, for example:

Whereas there may be other wiper blades for sale that will "fit" your car, available at a much lower price, they almost assuredly will NOT be genuine and/or they will NOT have the laser cut holes for the Magic Vision Control.

***IMPORTANT*** If you choose to go with a cheaper wiper blade option, without the laser cut holes, your car will not have any way to dispense windshield washer fluid, as there are no redundant, traditional washer nozzles. (I'm referring to U.S W222s only; there may be W222s in other markets without Magic Vision Control.)

Hope that helps -- Good luck!

Last edited by mercedesbuff; 10-03-2023 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-03-2023, 10:23 PM

Received 208 Likes on 114 Posts
2019 W222 S560 4Matic /2019 Chevy Suburban Premier
I got my oem replacement blades on amazon for about $130.
easy to replace, like any other wiper.
Old 10-04-2023, 03:12 AM

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts
2016 S550
Anyone else not too impressed by the Magic Vision Control wiper blades? I first thought I would love this feature and was impressed when I first saw it's debut many years ago. Now, using it in practice, here are my observations: The wiper blade doesn't allow bugs/bird droppings on the windshield to soak up enough water in time before the wiperblade wipes it. So, essentially, as soon as the water touches anything, the wiper blade wipes it. In the videos above, the jets spray water while the blade is wiping down, whereas on my vehicle, the wiper sprays it as the wiper is wiping up. The issue with not having enough time for water to contact the bugs/bird droppings, or not enough water, the bugs/bird droppings essentially smear across the windshield rather than getting cleaned off. The only way to clean the bugs/bird droppings effectively is to wipe as soon as the bird poop gets on the windshield (while it's still fresh and wet) vs letting it dry, same with bugs. But in practice, you can't always do that. Sometimes, birds poop on your car long before you drive it, and its not practical to be wiping your windshield every minute while on the highway at night with bugs collecting on your windshield.
The good thing about this washer fluid system is that it doesn't use as much water and doesn't splash water everywhere. In terms of cleaning, it seriously is lacking. In a traditional washer fluid system, you can spray half a gallon worth of fluid to clean a very dirty windshield with wipers, sure it's a waste of fluid, but your windshield will be clean. With the magic vision control, you could do the same but you'll get a whole mess of smeared bigs/poop all over the windshield. I thought it was old wiper blades but I bought a brand new set just in hopes it'll perform better, but results are the same.
will_atl (10-05-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 03:50 AM

Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts
S560 Long 4Matic (DE) MY 2018
Originally Posted by 95Sinned420
Anyone else not too impressed by the Magic Vision Control wiper blades? I first thought I would love this feature and was impressed when I first saw it's debut many years ago. Now, using it in practice, here are my observations: The wiper blade doesn't allow bugs/bird droppings on the windshield to soak up enough water in time before the wiperblade wipes it. So, essentially, as soon as the water touches anything, the wiper blade wipes it. In the videos above, the jets spray water while the blade is wiping down, whereas on my vehicle, the wiper sprays it as the wiper is wiping up. The issue with not having enough time for water to contact the bugs/bird droppings, or not enough water, the bugs/bird droppings essentially smear across the windshield rather than getting cleaned off. The only way to clean the bugs/bird droppings effectively is to wipe as soon as the bird poop gets on the windshield (while it's still fresh and wet) vs letting it dry, same with bugs. But in practice, you can't always do that. Sometimes, birds poop on your car long before you drive it, and its not practical to be wiping your windshield every minute while on the highway at night with bugs collecting on your windshield.
The good thing about this washer fluid system is that it doesn't use as much water and doesn't splash water everywhere. In terms of cleaning, it seriously is lacking. In a traditional washer fluid system, you can spray half a gallon worth of fluid to clean a very dirty windshield with wipers, sure it's a waste of fluid, but your windshield will be clean. With the magic vision control, you could do the same but you'll get a whole mess of smeared bigs/poop all over the windshield. I thought it was old wiper blades but I bought a brand new set just in hopes it'll perform better, but results are the same.
Yes! I am on the exact same page. It never cleans the glass as effectively as I would have liked, irrespective of having the glass clean or dirty, with or without a ceramic coating (tried both). Droppings will be removed if wiped immediately, but bugs will always smear. And to make matters worse, even with a clean glass, sometimes the wipers spray droplets around the glass in high speeds.

I've verified that the dealer replaces the wipers on every yearly service appointment. Your observation about water not having enough time to linger is spot on, since with a traditional spraying system you usually get a bit more water to stay a bit longer (until the wiper reaches it), whereas here the water is wiped as soon as it's sprayed.

I have a windshield cleaner and a few waffle microfibre towels for longer trips, stopping to clean the windshield as needed (especially in the summer).
will_atl (10-05-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 11:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2003 S430
Wiper Blade Replacement

Another chance for MB to fleece their customers......in addition to failures of oil seals, cam sensors, etc.

Old 10-05-2023, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,556 Likes on 1,653 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
I don't have this issue, but you do have to run the wipers and fluid more to get them clean, just hold the button down for 5+ wipe cycles and I have never had them not clean anything.

The reason for the way they don't let fluid stay on the windshield is visibility and safety, When you spray wiper fluid on your windshield and it dwells, you can't see through the windshield. With the magic vision wipers you never have a reduction in visibility when using the wipers while driving.

I have never had any car that was effective at cleaning bugs off the windshield, that has always required a stop and a scrub and squeegee.
Old 10-05-2023, 09:53 AM

Received 164 Likes on 103 Posts
2020 S450 4Matic, 2022 GLS450 4Matic, 2015 C300
I too am not overly impressed with the Magic Vision System, you outlined the primary reasons.
I went down the AliExpress replacements, and both sets squeaked at some point in the cycle.
When swapping wipers, be very careful, the spring on the arm will ping the arm into the windshield, and it can crack your windshield. Ask me how I know
I went back to OEM wipers, dealer installed, with my new windshield!
Old 10-06-2023, 02:32 AM

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts
2016 S550
Originally Posted by will_atl
I too am not overly impressed with the Magic Vision System, you outlined the primary reasons.
I went down the AliExpress replacements, and both sets squeaked at some point in the cycle.
When swapping wipers, be very careful, the spring on the arm will ping the arm into the windshield, and it can crack your windshield. Ask me how I know
I went back to OEM wipers, dealer installed, with my new windshield!
On OEM replacement wiper blades, there’s a little instructions leaflet/sticker that has an illustration warning of cracking the windshield.
will_atl (10-06-2023)