Well, I’m SMITTEN with the S560!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,267 Likes on 2,032 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by BeanTrader
Thanks, Wolfman. That's helpful. Do you or anyone here know what (if any) significant features/options will be different or added to the 2019 model year?
The DOG is already out so don't expect anything new. I was surprised that they didn't bring the next gen. touchpad (no more knob) as that one was slated for MY18 and has now made it into the MY19 E-Class AMG coupe, etc. There will be ongoing software updates to Distronic, etc...
Old 03-18-2018, 08:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 s560 4matic
Originally Posted by Streamliner

When driving, the system follows the lane much better than before and you can take your hands off the wheel for a longer period, before the warning comes on. I rarely do that, so have not tested it much.
It's about a minute now before you get the warning to put your hands back on the wheel whereas before it was about 15 seconds. Unlike Stream, I test its limits quite a bit to see if the car is going to drive me in to something. It hasn't yet
Old 03-18-2018, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 302 Likes on 209 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by Wolfman
The DOG is already out so don't expect anything new. I was surprised that they didn't bring the next gen. touchpad (no more knob) as that one was slated for MY18 and has now made it into the MY19 E-Class AMG coupe, etc. There will be ongoing software updates to Distronic, etc...
On another thread someone said that there is very little difference between the 2018 and the 2019 models. Probably some exterior color changes. Does anyone here know when the deadline is for ordering the 2018?
Old 03-18-2018, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
How much off the MSRP can one purchase the 2018 S450 at this point? With the options I want the MSRP is $107,275. Do you folks think I can buy this car for about $100K or less?
Old 03-18-2018, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,075 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
How much off the MSRP can one purchase the 2018 S450 at this point? With the options I want the MSRP is $107,275. Do you folks think I can buy this car for about $100K or less?
Yes!
Old 03-18-2018, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,267 Likes on 2,032 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Easy. I am thinking low nineties at most.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Thanks again Streamilner and Wolfman. That's great news.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by kath00
Just ordered the S560 2019. I have a 2015 also so I am really looking forward to the upgrades and differences.

I noticed they finally got the Apple Carplay to work. And the inductive charging will be super nice. Much of the rest of the interior features seemed the same to me.

But I am excited to take mine for a ride in July when it arrives!
Kath00, if you don't mind my asking, did you have to pay close to MSRP for the 2019 model? I'm curious since I'm about to pull the trigger on the 2018 S450 and it looks like I can get a great discount on it.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580

If you are talking about the length of time the system will remain active, after coming to a complete stop, the time has been greatly increased. I have not timed it, but on my 2015 it seemed like only 10 seconds. I would guess it is now more like a full minute or so.

When driving, the system follows the lane much better than before and you can take your hands off the wheel for a longer period, before the warning comes on. I rarely do that, so have not tested it much.
Streamliner, did you get the night vision option in your S560? I'm wondering if it's worth it.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
S560
Streamliner, did you get the night vision option in your S560? I'm wondering if it's worth it.
I did, i will be getting my car before the weekend. I will tell you about it. I got it mainly because of animal detection, that is something to worry about in my country. The big danger is Elk, but also deer. Elk will kill you if they go in the car. But it also looks like it dectects people nicely.

I had it it my W212, but it was almost useless. I only saw use for it in very heavy rain at night while oncoming traffic blinded me, and even then it was not much use.

Last edited by Carfan500; 03-19-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
S560
I forgot about this video, the best video of real use of lights on this car, go to two minutes or so:

Last edited by Carfan500; 03-19-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by Carfan500
I forgot about this video, the best video of real use of lights on this car, go to two minutes or so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5fl7r-E9WY
Very impressive. I have Night Vision assist on my 2014 S550, but it seems to be improved on the 2018. So, I gues I will include it in my options.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:17 PM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
Stream, I'm very curious about the auto pilot. I would like to get this straight once and for all. For how long can the improved auto pilot feature last before one must touch the steering wheel? The original system only lasts about 10-15 seconds. I believe Wolfman said that this improved auto pilot system lasts about 2 minutes. Is this so? Thanks!
I've not timed it, but it's easily 60 seconds if not more. BEST PART: You don't have to wiggle the steering wheel anymore. This drove me nuts with my `15 E350. Even with my hands on the wheel, the car would yell at me to put my hands back on the wheel.

With the new system, just lightly touch the left touchpad on the steering wheel to acknowledge that you're still awake. I do wish you could tap the center console touchpad instead for this, but I understand Mercedes' reasoning -- they want your hands near the wheel, ready to take over in case the car gets it wrong.

The new Distronic is improved in every way. My '15 E350's Distronic was useful and I used it all the time, almost 90-95% of the time. It struggled with bright clear days and the terrible state of road markings. Acceleration and braking were rather abrupt, but functional. No doubt, the car was doing what was promised -- it was driving, but you could tell it was a machine instead of a human. With the new system, it's very human-like. Nice, gentle acceleration, nice & gentle braking. The car is able to see further down the road and react in advanced, so it's not as 'surprised' like the old system could be. BTW, Distronic reacts differently based on which Drive mode you have selected (Comfort/Sport/Sport+). I run my '18 E300's on Eco because it's the most sedate of the Distronic programs.
The following users liked this post:
syswei (03-20-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by BeachBunny
I've not timed it, but it's easily 60 seconds if not more. BEST PART: You don't have to wiggle the steering wheel anymore. This drove me nuts with my `15 E350. Even with my hands on the wheel, the car would yell at me to put my hands back on the wheel.

With the new system, just lightly touch the left touchpad on the steering wheel to acknowledge that you're still awake. I do wish you could tap the center console touchpad instead for this, but I understand Mercedes' reasoning -- they want your hands near the wheel, ready to take over in case the car gets it wrong.

The new Distronic is improved in every way. My '15 E350's Distronic was useful and I used it all the time, almost 90-95% of the time. It struggled with bright clear days and the terrible state of road markings. Acceleration and braking were rather abrupt, but functional. No doubt, the car was doing what was promised -- it was driving, but you could tell it was a machine instead of a human. With the new system, it's very human-like. Nice, gentle acceleration, nice & gentle braking. The car is able to see further down the road and react in advanced, so it's not as 'surprised' like the old system could be. BTW, Distronic reacts differently based on which Drive mode you have selected (Comfort/Sport/Sport+). I run my '18 E300's on Eco because it's the most sedate of the Distronic programs.
I was told by the local dealer that the Distronic will stop the car even if the car in front is completely stopped. Is this true? Sometimes the salespeople at the dealership have no clue what they are talking about. In any case that is not the way it works on my 2014 S550. For it to work right, it needs to detect motion on the vehicle in front.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:04 AM

Received 172 Likes on 109 Posts
18 MB S63, 2022 911 Turbo S, 23 BMW M5C
Interesting stuff. I typically disable every feature on a car I buy as it's totally distracting to me with all the beeps, noises, vibrations, blinking stuff, etc, but since I bought my 2018 a month ago I've decided to not to that for a few months and try some of these things out. I can't imagine ever using Distronic or any type of cruise control driving, it simply goes against everything I believe in and I don't trust it at all or me using it, but it's cool to have on a car if I change my mind or I want to show off a feature to a friend. I'm total old school and never needed this on other cars I've owned these past 41 years. It's hard to change with the times. It will take me a long time to figure out all the features on this car. I've watched all the videos from EMBRACE and on YOU TUBE, read just a bit of the manual, but still, it's literally overwhelming.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 668 Likes on 524 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Distronic is great and yes it is better on the 18's than the 15's and below, not sure about the 16's and 17's if they upgraded the distronic from the 15's ? I hope so because in about a year I was planning on trading my 2015 for a 2017 Lease turn in. I can't go with a 18 as the trunk is too small and I need to be able to get my Tennis Wheelchair into the trunk. I hope the trunk on the 17's is the same size as my 15, I think it should be. Also another reason I want a 2017 is because then I can get the surround view Camera, I don't have that on my my 2015 and I took out the spoiler lip this past weekend courtesy of a parking curb, had I had the surround view It would have prevented this from happening. Those spoiler lips under the bumper are very low and get caught under curbs should you go over one. Glad you are enjoying your new car Steamliner.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:56 AM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
I was told by the local dealer that the Distronic will stop the car even if the car in front is completely stopped. Is this true? Sometimes the salespeople at the dealership have no clue what they are talking about. In any case that is not the way it works on my 2014 S550. For it to work right, it needs to detect motion on the vehicle in front.
Both my '15 E350 and '18 E300 would stop if they 'saw' a car in front of them. Caveat: The '15's capture range (ie: distance it recognizes the vehicle in front of it) was noticeably shorter for a car at a dead stop vs. moving car. It'd stop in time, but it was sometimes a very uncomfortable, quick stop. So, in those cases, I developed the habit of leaving Distronic on until I was about to slow down and start braking manually. When I'd see the forward car show up on the fish finder screen, I'd re-engage Distronic and let it handle everything from there.

With my '18, I'm still in the habit of gradually manually braking until I see the car's recognized the car in front of it. It probably doesn't need me to do that, but I do it anyway. Even if the car is doing the driving, it's still my driving record and insurance on the line if it gets it wrong.

Originally Posted by stever500
I can't imagine ever using Distronic or any type of cruise control driving, it simply goes against everything I believe in and I don't trust it at all or me using it, but it's cool to have on a car if I change my mind or I want to show off a feature to a friend. I'm total old school and never needed this on other cars I've owned these past 41 years. It's hard to change with the times.
When driving 10 miles takes 60-90 minutes on an interstate due to traffic, I think you'd find your thoughts on Distronic would be different. The main reason I bought a Mercedes-Benz was Distronic. I'll drive up to 40,000 miles/year, much of that in such traffic. If I had a normal job and just went to work & back, I probably would have bought a Passat or similar and called it a day. I tend to be old-school myself with many things and many designs I come up with, BUT I prefer air conditioning vs. opening my windows, and I prefer having a washing machine vs. hand-washing my clothes.

Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
I want a 2017 is because then I can get the surround view Camera, I don't have that on my my 2015 and I took out the spoiler lip this past weekend courtesy of a parking curb, had I had the surround view It would have prevented this from happening. Those spoiler lips under the bumper are very low and get caught under curbs should you go over one.
I don't know if it's a permanent option with the S-class, but on the E-Class there's an order code to permanently RAISE the suspension. I had this option on both my '15 & '18 E-Classes and also had the surround cameras. So far, I've never had an issue with curbs because of it. Also an FYI: The rear of most cars has way more clearance than the front. If you can back into a space, you're practically guaranteed to never have curb issues. The clarity of the cameras on the `18s really makes this a much easier job.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Changing the subject, I have heard both a "yes" and a "no" on this trunk space issue. I really want the Warmth and Comfort package, which among other conveniences, it allows the back seats to be adjustable. Does this option reduce the trunk space? I really do want as much trunk space as possible. The dealer told me that the Warmth and Comfort package does not reduce the trunk space, but I don't trust their knowledge as much as I trust the members on this forum.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Changing the subject, I have heard both a "yes" and a "no" on this trunk space issue. I really want the Warmth and Comfort package, which among other conveniences, it allows the back seats to be adjustable. Does this option reduce the trunk space? I really do want as much trunk space as possible. The dealer told me that the Warmth and Comfort package does not reduce the trunk space, but I don't trust their knowledge as much as I trust the members on this forum.
The W&C Pkg. does not reduce trunk space. HOWEVER, in order to be able to order the W&C Pkg., you MUST also order the Power Outboard Rear Seats With Memory Pkg. and that option DOES reduce trunk space. Another way MB won’t allow you to have your car the way YOU want it.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:09 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
S65, SL65
I loved my 2013 W221 S550, but was a fool to think that this “glass half empty” personality of mine could deal with an Obsidian Black car, so I traded it in and made a brief detour to a 2014 ML350BT, only to find out that I am not an SUV guy. I missed my big S Class so much that I found a fellow here on MBW to take over the lease on the ML and ordered a new 2015 S550 Sedan. The 2015 was good to me, but it never really blew me away, so I wasn’t sad to see it go when I turned it in at the end of a 3 year lease with 37K on the clock and took delivery of a new S560 that I ordered.

Well, the new car has about 550 miles on it and I must say I am in LOVE! With the exception of the diminished trunk space noted in another thread here and a couple of nit-pick items, IMO, virtually everything about this car is reasonably—if not significantly better than in my 2015.

The engine is smoother and quieter. The 9-speed trans is much smoother and better suited to the big car than the old 7-speed. The MBC works significantly better and the ride & steering seem much smoother, precise and more buttoned down. The "Curve" feature on the MBC alone is worth the price of the option, as it is nothing short of SENSATIONAL! The operation of the Distronic is much improved as well and I use it constantly on the freeway, even in bumper to bumper traffic. I have not heard one word from the Panorama Roof, whereas the one in the 2015 would never shut up. To top it all off, I love the Iridium Silver—that never seems to get dirty—the new front end design and the look of the 18” wheels offered for 2018. To sum up: I can’t believe how much better this 2018 is over my 2015.

SL - happy you love your 560. Might you by chance like to assume the lease on another one? $136k MSRP 3 yr lease at $1982 / month. Lease began January 16, 2018. Anyone interested, please let me know.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 482 Likes on 334 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8

The W&C Pkg. does not reduce trunk space. HOWEVER, in order to be able to order the W&C Pkg., you MUST also order the Power Outboard Rear Seats With Memory Pkg. and that option DOES reduce trunk space. Another way MB won’t allow you to have your car the way YOU want it.
My wife and I walked into the local Benz dealership just to take a look around. For the second time that I've done that , it seems to us that the overall length of the S classes look smaller. I was not able to find the thread you started about the smaller trunks or I would have posted there, but are we all sure the length of the updated S classes IS the same length as the previous pre-facelift models because every time I look at one, it seems SHORTER in overall length.

Last edited by MBS63AMG; 03-20-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBS63AMG
My wife and I walked into the local Benz dealership just to take a look around. For the second time that I've done that , it seems to us that the overall length of the S classes look smaller. I was not able to find the thread you started about the smaller trunks or I would have posted there, but are we all sure the length of the updated S classes are the same length as the previous pre-facelift models because everytime I look at one, it seems SHORTER in overall length.
I’m pretty sure it’s an optical illusion, perhaps stemming from the reworked front end. I feel the new headlights tend to give the front end a more compact look, but I believe the car has virtually identical dimensions to the 2014-2017 models. The reduced trunk space stems from them closing off a previously open “tuck under” area at the front of the trunk, having nothing to do with the exterior dimensions.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8

I’m pretty sure it’s an optical illusion, perhaps stemming from the reworked front end. I feel the new headlights tend to give the front end a more compact look, but I believe the car has virtually identical dimensions to the 2014-2017 models. The reduced trunk space stems from them closing off a previously open “tuck under” area at the front of the trunk, having nothing to do with the exterior dimensions.
I'm sure you are right. We actually were looking at it from the side. Hope you are still enjoying your new ride. Take care.
David
Old 03-20-2018, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by BeachBunny
Both my '15 E350 and '18 E300 would stop if they 'saw' a car in front of them. Caveat: The '15's capture range (ie: distance it recognizes the vehicle in front of it) was noticeably shorter for a car at a dead stop vs. moving car. It'd stop in time, but it was sometimes a very uncomfortable, quick stop. So, in those cases, I developed the habit of leaving Distronic on until I was about to slow down and start braking manually. When I'd see the forward car show up on the fish finder screen, I'd re-engage Distronic and let it handle everything from there.

With my '18, I'm still in the habit of gradually manually braking until I see the car's recognized the car in front of it. It probably doesn't need me to do that, but I do it anyway. Even if the car is doing the driving, it's still my driving record and insurance on the line if it gets it wrong.

When driving 10 miles takes 60-90 minutes on an interstate due to traffic, I think you'd find your thoughts on Distronic would be different. The main reason I bought a Mercedes-Benz was Distronic. I'll drive up to 40,000 miles/year, much of that in such traffic. If I had a normal job and just went to work & back, I probably would have bought a Passat or similar and called it a day. I tend to be old-school myself with many things and many designs I come up with, BUT I prefer air conditioning vs. opening my windows, and I prefer having a washing machine vs. hand-washing my clothes.

I don't know if it's a permanent option with the S-class, but on the E-Class there's an order code to permanently RAISE the suspension. I had this option on both my '15 & '18 E-Classes and also had the surround cameras. So far, I've never had an issue with curbs because of it. Also an FYI: The rear of most cars has way more clearance than the front. If you can back into a space, you're practically guaranteed to never have curb issues. The clarity of the cameras on the `18s really makes this a much easier job.
I might as well been the one to write your post above as I completely agree with everything you just said. As far as the backing into a parking spot to avoid spoiler rash, I'm gonna have to start doing that. I like that reasoning. I too drive as much as 40,000 /year. BIG ISSUE when it comes to trading time. I do have a 100K mile warranty. My car so far has not given me any trouble, so if it keeps on loving me, I'm going keep loving it after 100K and keep buying warranties. I'll be upside down $50K at 100,000 miles so I guess I'm stuck in this sweet car for a long while. Poor pitiful me! LOL
Old 03-20-2018, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Talking

Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
Distronic is great and yes it is better on the 18's than the 15's and below, not sure about the 16's and 17's if they upgraded the distronic from the 15's ? I hope so because in about a year I was planning on trading my 2015 for a 2017 Lease turn in. I can't go with a 18 as the trunk is too small and I need to be able to get my Tennis Wheelchair into the trunk. I hope the trunk on the 17's is the same size as my 15, I think it should be. Also another reason I want a 2017 is because then I can get the surround view Camera, I don't have that on my my 2015 and I took out the spoiler lip this past weekend courtesy of a parking curb, had I had the surround view It would have prevented this from happening. Those spoiler lips under the bumper are very low and get caught under curbs should you go over one. Glad you are enjoying your new car Steamliner.
I have a 17 model . I love the surround cameras but I just wish they would come on automatically when your speed is under 5 mph so that I could park without hitting those pesky cement parking curbs just in front of a sidewalk. I have to press the hard to find camera button on the left to activate it. At least I have the option.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Well, I’m SMITTEN with the S560!