W222 NEGATIVE REVIEW ! Command reboots constantly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 03:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
w219 Cls 350
Angry W222 NEGATIVE REVIEW ! Command reboots constantly

Hi guys,

I've been a lurker around here for many years but now it's time to kick things off with a very angry review of my brand new 2016 S Class .
Why do i call it brand new when it's from 2016 you may ask? The answer is simple, the car had 3700 miles on when i bought it a few days ago and that imo makes this car pretty new.

I'll try and keeps things as short as possible just to make this thread easy to read. *** For those of you who don't want to read all the good stuff just scroll to the red underlined text at the end of the thread. ***

Quick car history:
Bought from MB Forum dealer in Stuttgart Germany 5 days ago. I was told the car belonged to the dealership's director. Not a single scratch on the car, the interior brand spanking new etc. Burmester High-end 3d soundsystem and many many more ( 4 pages to be exact of ..stuff in german )

Why did i chose this car:

Okay so i've been driving a CLS350 for the last 11 yars or so. Bought that car with 30k miles on it. Very Very solid car until recently when she started loosing oil pretty fast. I sadly got used to driving around the city with the oil light warning on but made sure to add 1 liter or so each time i refuled till one day when in a hurry decided to make a trip 100 miles away and... that was it for the engine ( 3 cylinders are badly scratched and i'll be needing a new block.

Instead of fixing that for now i thought about it and decided it's time to move on and buy another. I could have bought a car with more miles on it, but since i already have a ton of problems on my head at work i said NO!... a new car is what i should have!
I should enjoy the car and not have to worry about it for years to come.
The CLS kept me happy for years before needing more serious service like intake manifold repair just to give you an example.

So i decided to move on from buying pre-owned high milage cars and start looking towards new(er) ones.

I had 3 things in mind when choosing the car :
- high end burmester audio system
- amg body styling
- black leather interior
all the rest was extra

Burmester hi-end 3d sound:

I'm also a member over head-fi and i enjoy listening music on high end devices but don't consider myslef an audiophile.
My portable listening device is a hi-res OPUS#2 player ( paired with a beyerdynamic Xelento iem ) for example and i keep my files in losless or listen to Tidal . Why am i sharing this ? Just to let you guys know i have a pretty good ideea of how a hi-res sound system should sound.
I've also invested quite a lot as well in my CLS custom hertz soundsystem. This included sound deadening and all the other tricks in the book such as an audio processor calibrated with a mic etc.

I've compared and listend to several car systems before choosing this . Among those were: standard w222 burmester, audi a8 Bang&Olufsen 2017, w221 HK etc. I've mentioned those because i guess that's what most of you would be interested in .

My overall impression was very good. There's a pretty big difference imo between the 3d system and the standard burmester one. It sounds more refined having a wider soundstage. Highs are crystal clear when listening to quality files . Mids sound amazingly good when listening to female vocals for ex. . Bass is quick and punchy and has a hefty presence all across genres of music.

There's no comparrison between this and the BO in the Audi. The BO sounds good but just lacks bass.It sounds like it was tuned by an old guy Even with the low end set to the maximum setting the bass is still absent. Same goes for the BOSE sound system which i currently have in my 2012 A8.
Even the standard burmester sounds better the BO. Okay enaugh about the soundsystem.

I tried getting rid of the old CLS before back in 2014 by buying a 50k miles A8 which turned out to be a *******g disaster. Besides all the things that failed on it, the car sounds like it's gonna fall apart when driving it.
Roads are **** where i live so driving over potholes makes you feel like you've distroyed the car. One more thing that especially made me loose my mind was a rattling that till this day i couldn't get rid off .
It sounds like driving with an empty redbull can in the bottle holder. I just couldn't get over all that nonsense and i gave the car to my mom and got back to the CLS which till this day with minimum parts swapped drives very smooth , no rattling no nothing

THE BAD :

The HUD rattles @ 60-80 mph. It's so loud you can hear it with the music turned on loud. I feel so freaking frustrated about this ! I can't belive i just spent a ton of cash on an almost new car that rattles ! I know it's a pretty simple fix cause i've read the threads on it, but comeeeee on ! It's a foooking s-class. And maybach too ?!? Jeez . Audi was ****, now this ? What should i do next? try a BMW ?

Okay i got over that. I'll fix that some day i said but but but why ?!!? why do i need to fix anything on a bloody new car. Okay let's move on for real now.
Besides the rattling the car drives impressivly smooth. It just glides over bad roads, miles better than the Audi and way hadles bumps much better than the CLS or the other cars i've driven. The sound isolation is amazing as well. I had to take apart all the interior of the CLS to sound deaden it and still that's not even close to this.

But then i noticed one more squeek comming from the bottle cupholder. Constant squeek!!! I think i may be crazy. I may be exagerating and taking small problems too seriously. I'll let that fly as well but this next issue just made me mad!!

The command just shut down on me today. It rebooted and after 15 seconds or so it rebooted again. And it keeps on doing this forever. I've tried switching off the engine and letting the car sit for an hour or so but as soon as i start it, boom! the same thing happens.

I swear i'm gonna call the dealer and make them take the car back. I don't want it ! I don't need a new car at all cause it won't solve any freaking problem. It only gets worse . The more things you have the more you have to worry about. Summer is comming. I'll just ridee around my vespa and smoke a cigar while doing it! That's it. I'd had enough of these modern luxyry sedans. I thought i had bad luck with the Audi and i thought that buying new will sapre me of looking online for solutions.
The truth guys is that, one has so many problems as he makes for himself.

I quit.

Last edited by teletin_andrei; 03-16-2018 at 06:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by teletin_andrei:
Carfan500 (03-16-2018), superangrypenguin (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 09:55 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2020 S560
I had the same problem (reboots) with my S560. My fix was to hold down the OFF button for more than 15 sec. If that does not work it should be easy enough to have the technicians at the dealership see the problem.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
w219 Cls 350
Originally Posted by SteveVukelich
I had the same problem (reboots) with my S560. My fix was to hold down the OFF button for more than 15 sec. If that does not work it should be easy enough to have the technicians at the dealership see the problem.
Thank's for the input mate. I'll try that. This morning however the comand decided to work ... I've read however, a lot about this issue and a similar problem many reported on the w221. It seems like either an optical connection is bad or one of connected devices (like the awg or command etc) has gone bad.

No matter how easy or not this problem can be fixed, a similar problem has been reported before on the old model. The w222 is 4 yars old by now and imo MB should have addresed the issue.
But just the ideea of buying a new car (well, almost new ) and still having to browse the forum for solutions bugs me. I live in a country where the service is not that reliable.
The following users liked this post:
Carfan500 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 01:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
S560
Originally Posted by SteveVukelich
This is also what i do in my loaner E220 and also reboot iphone if there is a sound issue. i do this several times a week.