S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Rolling in park

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 10:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
s550
Rolling in park

Weird thing happened yesterday.I live on an inclined street. About 30 degrees. Parked there many times. In fact the vehicle sometimes automatically sets the emergency brake. Not all the time though I find out when I put it in drive an it doesn't move. But yesterday as i was pulling up i put the car in park and was gathering my stuff to go inside was about to shut it off and the car started rolling back. Definitely in park but rolled back. Stepped on brake confirmed it was in park released brake again and it rolled back again. I had to put it in Drive then park again. This time it worked. Any ideas , also why does it automatically go into emergency brake sometimes and not others. I usually park in the same spot .
Thanks

Last edited by lungs414; 05-12-2018 at 10:45 AM. Reason: fix
Old 05-12-2018, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 196 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by lungs414
Weird thing happened yesterday.I live on an inclined street. About 30 degrees. Parked there many times. In fact the vehicle sometimes automatically sets the emergency brake. Not all the time though I find out when I put it in drive an it doesn't move. But yesterday as i was pulling up i put the car in park and was gathering my stuff to go inside was about to shut it off and the car started rolling back. Definitely in park but rolled back. Stepped on brake confirmed it was in park released brake again and it rolled back again. I had to put it in Drive then park again. This time it worked. Any ideas , also why does it automatically go into emergency brake sometimes and not others. I usually park in the same spot .
Thanks
I know on my 2014, I have to set the PARKING brake manually, When I get back in the car, if I drive off in drive and not have to go into reverse, the car will automatically release the parking brake. If I go directly into reverse, I must manually release the Parking Brake.
Not sure why your car would roll..... I would absolutely have that checked..... Sounds like it was left in neutral,,, would be pretty bad if it were in gear. If you open the door while still in drive, the car will automatically go into park.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 610 Likes on 460 Posts
W212 FL
Make sure AUTO HOLD is on to prevent it from rolling before putting the car . My Mercedes also slightly rolled back with a grinding noise to confirm that car was shifted in P when I opened the door . However, with an AUTO HOLD was activated I don't recognize it would roll