S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Distronic Hazard

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 04:05 PM

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by Streamliner

I don’t look at the shortcomings of these systems as “flaws,” but rather as features of how the systems work and as ever evolving technology. Distronic is meant as an “AID” to the driver, not as a SUBSTITUTE for the driver. If drivers keep that in mind, and actually DRIVE the car accordingly, they will all be fine. If they watch a movie and rely on these systems to drive the car, they are idiots and should not be behind the wheel of any vehicle.
Well said!!!
Old 06-14-2018, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 331 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by jenz
All these systems have the same fatal flaw even the might Tesla

https://jalopnik.com/this-test-shows...pen-1826810902
The article describes exactly what happened to me....a car that I was following in stalled traffic moves quickly to another lane causing my car to surge forward with what seems to be no intention of stopping before hitting the next car in line. I can't remember exactly , but I would imagine the car in front of that car was stationary. When a car in front of you is standing still is when the problems occur the most. Like coming up on an intersection with cars that are stopped at a red light and you approach them rather quickly...you can sense that your car is simply not going to stop for them!

But as many are saying, you have to use this tech wisely and it is still awesome having it. I will never own a car again without distronic.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8

I don’t look at the shortcomings of these systems as “flaws,” but rather as features of how the systems work and as ever evolving technology. Distronic is meant as an “AID” to the driver, not as a SUBSTITUTE for the driver. If drivers keep that in mind, and actually DRIVE the car accordingly, they will all be fine. If they watch a movie and rely on these systems to drive the car, they are idiots and should not be behind the wheel of any vehicle.
Yep. I agree.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
S Class Coupe
Originally Posted by MBS63AMG
When I test drove the 2018 S560 two days ago, I was trying to play around with setting the cruise. On previous models that go way back on Mercedes vehicles, you don't have to turn on the "system" , then set the cruise. Has that now been changed? It appears there is a "system" on/off button and then a set /decel switch. I have always loved the fact that I don't have to do 2 separate moves to set a cruise speed but has the newer models been changed to where you have to turn on the system and then set a speed??? And on the subject of autonomous cars, the only way that will ever work is that EVERY car on the road would have to be autonomous and talk to each other via their computer systems. Trucks included. But then you would have to be worried about a hacker getting into your car , finding out where you're going, who you are, etc, etc.... If every car was auton. then cars would be going down the highway very close together (tailgating), traveling at 90 mph as if they were hooked like train cars in the left lanes to make good time, then slower vehicles in the right lanes to exit. I think the energy of inventing little private Jetson saucers would be more attractive than autonomous cars.
Sadly, yes, the wonderful cruise control stick has been sent the way of the Edsel by Mercedes-Benz. I LOVED the fact that you did not need to turn anything on -- you could practically drive the car with just that stick and the steering wheel. Now, however, you must push a button to turn the system on, then click a rocker switch to set your speed. What once was a simple single step now requires two separate steps. It's virtually identical to systems used by Hyundai and Kia among others. The very distinctive and infinitely more useful cruise control stick is gone.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by WorldExplorer
Sadly, yes, the wonderful cruise control stick has been sent the way of the Edsel by Mercedes-Benz. I LOVED the fact that you did not need to turn anything on -- you could practically drive the car with just that stick and the steering wheel. Now, however, you must push a button to turn the system on, then click a rocker switch to set your speed. What once was a simple single step now requires two separate steps. It's virtually identical to systems used by Hyundai and Kia among others. The very distinctive and infinitely more useful cruise control stick is gone.
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. One more question. Does the trailing distance setting (the distance between you and the car in front of you) remain set between uses of the cruise control system, or does it default back to maximum distance every time? That was another nuisance I saw in a Kia and BMW I once owned. That too is aggravating if you have to keep resetting that between uses. What the heck is the purpose of a system on/off switch?

Last edited by MBS63AMG; 06-16-2018 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:30 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2018 S450
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. One more question. Does the trailing distance setting (the distance between you and the car in front of you) remain set between uses of the cruise control system, or does it default back to maximum distance every time? That was another nuisance I saw in a Kia and BMW I once owned. That too is aggravating if you have to keep resetting that between uses. What the heck is the purpose of a system on/off switch?
The trailing distance setting remains to whatever it was set to unless you change it.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 S550 Coupe
Agree... I really like setting the following distance once, to minimum, and having that stick. Audi and Land Rover vehicles also reset the following distance to default, so their multi-step radar cruise turn on is On/Closer/Closer/Closer. :-)
Old 06-16-2018, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,572 Likes on 2,041 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
I’m usually one of the guys who complains about changes in things that have long been the same. I initially felt that way about the Distronic controls on the 2018, but after a few thousand miles, I’ve come to like the new controls, as you do not need to remove your hand from the steering wheel to adjust it. As for th on/off button, the best I can figure, is that it’s a safety feature, to make sure the driver intends to activate the Distronic system.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
I’m usually one of the guys who complains about changes in things that have long been the same. I initially felt that way about the Distronic controls on the 2018, but after a few thousand miles, I’ve come to like the new controls, as you do not need to remove your hand from the steering wheel to adjust it. As for th on/off button, the best I can figure, is that it’s a safety feature, to make sure the driver intends to activate the Distronic system.
I can lift on the stalk without looking down or removing my hands from the steering wheel. It has worked for 50 years and I hate ANY car that I have to do 2 or 3 things to set the cruise to my liking. It makes me glad that I got the 2017 instead of the 2018 . My Genesis is a 3 step operation as well and that is annoying. MB had it right and they should have left it alone. If the activation of cruise on the steering wheel was a simple replacement of the stalk with a one step move, that would have been OK.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
I can lift on the stalk without looking down or removing my hands from the steering wheel. It has worked for 50 years and I hate ANY car that I have to do 2 or 3 things to set the cruise to my liking. It makes me glad that I got the 2017 instead of the 2018 . My Genesis is a 3 step operation as well and that is annoying. MB had it right and they should have left it alone. If the activation of cruise on the steering wheel was a simple replacement of the stalk with a one step move, that would have been OK.
You know, I don’t see M.B. or any maker putting an on/off button on the cruise for no good reason. It must be some sort of legal thing, suggested by their lawyers, which is all I can guess. If that had not been the case, I believe they would have left it alone, as it has been since the 1970’s. My first new M.B., a 1979 450SL had the cruise control on a stalk. Wouldn’t it be great if we had a source inside M.B. who would actually tell us WHY they do the things they do???
The following users liked this post:
MBS63AMG (07-01-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Today I was following a truck towing a trailer with lawn mowers on it and we were going down a 2 lane road at 55 mph. I had distronic on as I trailed the vehicle. The driver in front of me decides to make a right turn onto his secondary road or perhaps it was his driveway (not sure). My car begins to slow down as the driver takes his sweet time turning. I think we were all doing less than 15 mph by the time he was out of my way. He finally gets out of my way but my distronic sensors are apparently fixated on the truck instead of looking up ahead at clear traffic and my car practically is trying to come to a stop. With several cars behind me and knowing that they would be laying on the horn because I'm now stopping instead of accelerating forward, I had to override by pressing the accelerator. Benz world needs to do major updates to its computers to allow the car to move on forward, following the highway lines especially since I was not signaling a right turn and the fact that the car in front of me made such a drastic 90 degree turn out of the path of travel. I don't know what would have happened if I had not intervened. I'm not complaining as I'm grateful and thankful for the wonderful advancements in cruise control........., just observing some flaws in the setup of the system that need improving and warning others on the forum of how important it is to guard yourself. This just shows that one cannot simply set it and forget it. Have a good day.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:28 PM

2018 S450
I have had more than one instance where the lane keep assist seemed to want to cross the center line on a curve. I keep a very close eye while in this mode! Overall I love it, but don't trust it completly! Seems to be at it's best on the freeway and really reduces the workload and makes trips a lot easier!
Old 07-01-2018, 07:41 PM

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
2015 MBZ S 550
Anyone who thinks the Driver Assist Option is more than an “ assist” is doomed to crash.
mikey94025 (07-02-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 12:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 S550 4MATIC

First of all, you need to switch the system on to use it, so there is no need to “disable” it. As far as having to “babysit” the Distronic, that would only be true if you call watching the road in front of you babysitting. Distronic is like having another pair of eyes on the road and, IMHO, is “THE” all time greatest option ever offered on any passenger car by any manufacturer. I feel it is absolutely marvelous and, in my case, essential, as I will not own a car that I am going to drive any distance without it. It certainly is not a perfect system—as there are no perfect drivers either. But they keep improving it and using it, with an average, competent driver behind the wheel makes for a MUCH safer driving experience.
Very well said, after having it I couldn't live without the Distronic Plus or active blind spot assist in my 2010 S63, and now I just picked up a 2014 S550 with allll the tech and safety goodies, I'm very excited.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:32 PM

Received 145 Likes on 111 Posts
2005 SL 500. 2015 S550. 2016 GLE400 2018 S560
Absolutely love the steering wheel on the 18 S class. On my 15 I was always fumbling to find the stalk for the D+. On the 18 everything is now on the steering wheel. Yes you have to turn it on first then set the speed, but this is no big deal in my opinion. The left hand side controls the left video screen and the right hand side controls the right video screen. I actually like the looks of the steering wheel better than the older one as well. I’ve had my 18 S560 since September and would not go back to the old steering wheel ever.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:02 AM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Audi R8, Alfa Romeo Quad, 991tt,cls550, 997tt, 85 Carrera
Distronic is not as advertised. If you read the marketing material or go on YouTube and see demos by Mercedes about Distronic and the self driving capabilities of the car you are led to a false sense of security. I have driven Audi and BMW cars with their adaptive cruise systems and they work much better than the one in my 18 Mercedes. Don't get me wrong, once you get used to adaptive cruise control especially in bumper to bumper traffic it is hard to drive a car without it. However as others have stated don't fall for a false sense of security with this system. You have to pay attention. As others have stated if the car in front of you pulls out and the car ahead is going slowly the Mercedes will accelerate and play a game of chicken with you. The other annoying aspect of their safety system is the emergency braking system when it senses an impending accident. This is great, however on more than one occasion when I accelerated to switch lanes on the freeway the system thought I was going to hit the car in front of me and slammed on the brakes. This happens very fast and you don't quite know whats happening at that moment. I understand it is a nice safety feature to have however it could also be a huge liability when someone rear ends you.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It would not be reasonable to ask that MB, in a promotional website, to point out every little foible associated with a system as complex as Distronic Plus. They tell you the basic idea, post a warning about using it and, in my opinion, that’s more than enough. It’s bad enough that when trying to read the owner’s manual, that seemingly half of every page is devoted to some sort of disclaimer, warning or *** covering, because our legal system, corrupted by ambulance chasing lawyers and absolutely insane juries, has lost its collective mind. If it were up to me, there would be one or two pages of legal disclaimers at the front of the manual and that should be that. With the Driver’s Assistance Pkg., which includes Distronic Plus, IMO, the advantages so overwhelmingly outweigh the disadvantages, that I truly believe that every new car should be sold with such systems, especially the Collision Avoidance feature, which has saved my *** more than once.
MBS63AMG (08-06-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 07:20 PM

2018 S450
Distronic has been great for me! I think it works best on freeway travel when traffic goes from speed limit to stop and anywhere in between. It takes a little getting used to but sure helps with driver fatigue!
mikey94025 (08-06-2018)