S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

S class - gasoline | particulate filters??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2018 | 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
S class - gasoline | particulate filters??

https://www.dieselnet.com/tech/gasol...te_filters.php

" Commercial Status. Gasoline particle filters were first launched in a mass production application by Daimler, who introduced a GPF on their Mercedes-Benz S500 luxury sedan in early 2014 "

The W222 has particulate filters for gas models?!

What rock have I been hiding under? So does that mean AdBlue is a prereq for S class gas cars?

Edit:

I guess I answered my own question.

https://media.daimler.com/marsMediaS...l?oid=14317014

So does one have to add AdBlue or is this just a fancy exhaust system that requires nothing more?
Old 10-18-2018 | 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
The Regeneration process to clean out the Particulate Filter and injection on some engines downstream of the engine of the “blue colored Urea fluid” in the exhaust system are two different processes and have little to do with each other.

Regeneration of the particulate filter usually involves temporarily dumping excess fuel into the system to create excess heat to combust the collected particulates in the filter.

The Urea fluid is injected into the exhaust stream to change Nitrogen Oxides into Nitrogen and water which is less toxic to the environment. Most newer Diesel road engines are mandated to use both a DPF and a DEF system. On the other hand most new diesel farm tractors that use the Tier 4B system only use a DPF but no DEF fluid. I own 18 large Tier 4B tractors farming here and in 2 South American countries that do not use DEF.

Automotive gasoline engines do not produce anywhere the amount of ash that is produced in a Diesel engine and I applaude Mercedes trying to clean up engines that are already much more efficient than those produced even 15 years ago especially considering they plan on dropping combustion engines totally from their line up in the near future.

Last edited by Utopia Texas; 10-18-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-18-2018 | 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Thanks, and yes, my further research into this indicates that yes, gasoline systems will have a particulate filter that should be much less involved, from a clearing out perspective, than the diesel ones due to the nature of gasoline combustion engines.