S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Distronic steering assist

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 06:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 686 Likes on 509 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
I think of the steering assist as back up to me... In case I do not turn... hopefully steering assist will...

Last resort kind of thing...
Old 12-19-2018, 08:19 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
2014 S550
My point was that it's not meant nor sold as "self driving" in any regard.. Just because you can take your hands off the wheel and it will keep the lane for a period of time doesn't mean that was its intended function. People that complain "Mine drives like it's drunk down the road" are trying to use it for something other than what it was intended.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 208 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by obwielnls
My point was that it's not meant nor sold as "self driving" in any regard.. Just because you can take your hands off the wheel and it will keep the lane for a period of time doesn't mean that was its intended function. People that complain "Mine drives like it's drunk down the road" are trying to use it for something other than what it was intended.
One ABSOLUTELY needs to always be ready to take control of the car even though it does a great job of staying nicely in the lane for at least a minute. But the system allows you to be more relaxed.
My wife and I took a 700 mile trip from Des Moines to Copley, OH on December 16. We have made this trip numerous times in the past. This was by far the most relaxing long drive I ever drove. I also participated on the Energizing muscle stimulating option several times and it really helped me. At the end of the trip I was hardly tired.
As a side note, I got 31.7 mpg. And this was with luggage, computers, etc. and lots of Christmas gifts. I love the fact that you can drive so far without stopping for gas.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:35 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2014 S550 4matic, 2014 Corvette, 2016 Camaro SS 2011 Lexus RX350
Originally Posted by jschade

I’d like to know the same. I would think if so, it would be a software improvement and could be updated by dealer. I just had mine in for annual service and they didn’t reference any specific bulletin on this but I’ll ask next time I talk to my service department.
As you've noticed the newer cars have better performance on steering assist. Each year after my 2014 gets better. This seems to be all software changes and implementation of learning and feedback. MB will be the last to do SW improvements just to improve performance for the customer.
First issue is they do not have OTA updates so they all need a trip to the dealer.
Then for MB it's like admitting it wasn't designed right in the first place, they won't do that.
They keep the lid on any detailed info on what SW changes do Y2Y
Gives us more incentive to buy a new one.
The following users liked this post:
Nice Ride (12-20-2018)