S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

WiFi connects to iPhone , but no access to internet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 08:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 S550 4MATIC AMG Sport package, 2006 S500 4Matic (Sold)
WiFi connects to iPhone , but no access to internet

I have connected iPhone to car WiFi but it doesn’t have internet access. I called Mbrace and they resent signal and still no internet, the phone shows I am connected to the WiFi but can open webpages. Mbrace said take to dealership to have them sync car WiFi. Anyone else have this issue? I am on the 3 month trial and so far not impressed with mbrace features or service. Not sure I’ll buy after trial ends. Does the door locks/unlock feature work if you don’t pay annual fee? That is about the only benefit I see for MBrace and Mercedes me that I have seen so far.

Last edited by jpaul4; 12-22-2018 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:39 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2020 S560
The internet comes across on the built-in telephone, with service supplied by Verizon. Is there Verizon access where you are? Does the in-car web browser work? Make sure the phone is paired and internet access is enabled via COMAND; you need to enter an alphanumeric password to access it. See page 280 of the User Guide.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 S550
Originally Posted by SteveVukelich
The internet comes across on the built-in telephone, with service supplied by Verizon. Is there Verizon access where you are? Does the in-car web browser work? Make sure the phone is paired and internet access is enabled via COMAND; you need to enter an alphanumeric password to access it. See page 280 of the User Guide.
i just got my car (15 S550) back for the exact same problem. Mbrace is fully paid for the year, they told me they are sending me WiFi signals—yet no internet, no app works, no phone can connect to the car. Took it to the dealer and they are ordered a “communications module” to replace the current one. They had to take the insides apart to diagnose the issue and pinpoint it and the shop foreman had to get involved. It’s covered under warranty, but it appears to just be a fried comms module that happened over time.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:45 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
2014 S550
In countries other than the U.S. command communicates to the internet through a cell phone tether or wifi hotspot. Mbrace is only available in the U.S.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221
Regarding dataconnection sharing, you must enable in your smartphone bluetooth tethering. If enabled then yellow arrows appear to car screen where GSM operator is. Although it's rather pointless to create wifi hotspot in car since netspeed is decreased nearly 10x (compared to smartphone) I did several speedtests. My local MB dealership told me that all datatraffic goes through MB server and due to that it slows down.
Old 09-14-2021, 03:27 PM

Received 115 Likes on 91 Posts
2016 S550e, 2005 Nissan Xterra 4x4, 1984 300ZX
I never got that to work and cancelled it after my trial period expired. I have unlimited Verizon plan so I didn't see why I would want to use this. All the MB connected features didn't work and spent some time on phone and they told me to take to dealership for fix. Maybe I should see about this before my warranty expires but I only got frustration trying to use.