S560 or E63 S AMG as a daily driver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 02:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,267 Likes on 2,032 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by rustybear3
The only real difference between the Maybachs CAB interior and the E CAB is its leather dashboard and doors; which I don't plan on sitting on anytime soon so big deal. Other than that, the interiors are very comparable. It's not miles better and save for the leather differences are almost identical. I can order most of the same options that any S CAB offers. The E CAB handles better than it's S class counterpart, and is just as comfortable IMO. The interior of the SL is outdated and is need of a refresh ASAP. In the brand new SL model we drove had some wind and road noise intruding into the cabin. Not so the soft top E CAB which is whisper quiet and more like a coupe with the top down; especially with that beautiful suede headliner. As I stated, the exterior of the SL is very nice, but the interior...not so much. Mercedes is bailing out on the SL as a hardtop and two seater in 2020 for a reason...they're not selling.
Well, we will have to disagree on the leather interior of E-cab vs the Maybach cab. I had the pleasure of disliking one from close-up (the S650) but it was the semi aniline leather not available on the E in any way and had the full leather treatment, similar to the S65 cab. Not a fan of that car or the artificial $90-100k markup over the S65; it does have a few nice touches but it is definitely on a very different level. These cars are comparable only to the point the they have the same layout.
And one should expect that $200-350k cars have a few more niceties. You have a great car and so is the S-Class cab.

In regards to the SL; I am not sure what model or how equipped. The air noise means nothing and is fixed typically with a window calibration. By definition though no soft top can match a hardtop; no magic there. We drove the S-Class cab for 2000 miles or so in windy weather, rain and sun and often at 160mph at which time the car was electronically limited. Plenty of noise then, some wind noise when windy and noise when it rains. Just what is expected but very nicely dampened.
I still don't get the outdated comment; I assume its personal taste. I understand the dash and nav screen; the center armrests are a bit funky, personally I like my shifter in the center console. Seats are excellent and better than the E or S-class for a roadster. Doesn't have 64 color LED, just 3. Technically though it's on par with our 2018 E63s. That comand is slower than molasses.
I swear it's even taking a couple moments for the audio to mute.

That said, I am not trying to be argumentative. In the end, we like what we like. If I want I can find fault with every car but so far all the ones we have and had have been smile inducing
Old 04-11-2019, 03:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 129 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Well, we will have to disagree on the leather interior of E-cab vs the Maybach cab. I had the pleasure of disliking one from close-up (the S650) but it was the semi aniline leather not available on the E in any way and had the full leather treatment, similar to the S65 cab. Not a fan of that car or the artificial $90-100k markup over the S65; it does have a few nice touches but it is definitely on a very different level. These cars are comparable only to the point the they have the same layout.
And one should expect that $200-350k cars have a few more niceties. You have a great car and so is the S-Class cab.

In regards to the SL; I am not sure what model or how equipped. The air noise means nothing and is fixed typically with a window calibration. By definition though no soft top can match a hardtop; no magic there. We drove the S-Class cab for 2000 miles or so in windy weather, rain and sun and often at 160mph at which time the car was electronically limited. Plenty of noise then, some wind noise when windy and noise when it rains. Just what is expected but very nicely dampened.
I still don't get the outdated comment; I assume its personal taste. I understand the dash and nav screen; the center armrests are a bit funky, personally I like my shifter in the center console. Seats are excellent and better than the E or S-class for a roadster. Doesn't have 64 color LED, just 3. Technically though it's on par with our 2018 E63s. That comand is slower than molasses.
I swear it's even taking a couple moments for the audio to mute.

That said, I am not trying to be argumentative. In the end, we like what we like. If I want I can find fault with every car but so far all the ones we have and had have been smile inducing
Isn't it surprising (and I've noticed this with many threads) that apart from all the numerous opinions and such, we never hear from the original OP again? Hopefully we will, cause I'm curious to hear his take thus far.

Yes, I agree, we like what we like and what is perfect for you may not be perfect for me. I don't mind spirited debate and that's half the fun of a forum. Different perceptions of what is valid and pertinent to an issue at hand.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E400 Coupe
S class all day 😄

Last edited by artinshak; 04-11-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:47 AM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
S560
I’m here! (Original OP). I was silent to hear all opinions and set up a test drive in a meantime. Anyway, I did test drive the AMG E63S yesterday ! It’s a powerful rocket but the ride quality is no where close to the S560. The dealer had a very good optioned one MSRP around 122K however, as Wolfman said before, the interior quality looks cheap with lots of plastic. I think I will stay with my S560. By the way the payment was $150 higher compared to my S.
Thanks for your opinion.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,075 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by pierno80
I’m here! (Original OP). I was silent to hear all opinions and set up a test drive in a meantime. Anyway, I did test drive the AMG E63S yesterday ! It’s a powerful rocket but the ride quality is no where close to the S560. The dealer had a very good optioned one MSRP around 122K however, as Wolfman said before, the interior quality looks cheap with lots of plastic. I think I will stay with my S560. By the way the payment was $150 higher compared to my S.
Thanks for your opinion.
I’m sure it comes as no surprise to hear resounding support for the S Class over the E, in the W222 forum. We all like to believe that our choice of vehicle is the best. I’m sure there are folks out there who would argue that their old Lincoln Towncar is head & shoulders better than our W222’s, while others will jump up and down about how their Cadillac CTS-V can “blow the doors off” our “big barge” S560’s. And all of that is just fine. I’m glad that those driving far lesser vehicles are happy with their choices. They know who they are, what they like and what they can afford. However, at the end of the day, as we open the vault-like door, settle into that big, comfortable seat and drive smoothly & silently into that jungle known as “city streets,” we know what we have in these magnificent cars that carry an “S” on their trunk lids. The S Class is something very special and I feel very fortunate to drive one. Congratulations to the OP on making a great, but not surprising choice.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 298 Posts
EQ
The S-Class is superior in comfort by design. In any case, if my budget allowed, I'd have a Wraith. In the meantime I'll slum it in my "far lesser" car.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,075 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by teksurv
The S-Class is superior in comfort by design. In any case, if my budget allowed, I'd have a Wraith. In the meantime I'll slum it in my "far lesser" car.
I can vividly recall when I drove an old, battered, 1962 Oldsmobile that needed to be jump started whenever it rained. I sold my Porsche 911E Targa—and pretty much everything else I owned—to swing the down payment on a little business that was, at the time, almost OUT of business. Believe me, I know about driving “far lesser cars,” as I have driven many myself. Years of 80 hour work weeks led to my driving far greater cars.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 298 Posts
EQ
Completely understood. I have a budget that I need to work with to retire at 55. I have nothing but love and respect for the S-Class, because I will have one. Perhaps even that Wraith someday, though I suspect I wouldn't be able to justify the money.