S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

W222 2014 S550 Oil change using MityVac 7201

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 S550 Edition 1(current)/2008 S550 (Sold)
W222 2014 S550 Oil change using MityVac 7201

***Before anyone asks about the pictures, I'll attach them once I leave the office detailing the entire process. ****
ENJOY and I hope this helps everyone.

Let me begin by saying how awesome and effortless this process is if you own an extractor. The entire process from start to finish was 34 minutes including setup , extraction , filter change and adding fluids. There's a couple of advance items to check off before beginning. I spent a few hours researching some of the customer comments, Positive and negative about the 7201 extractor. I applied their recommendations and it made for a flawless process. Hopefully, this will save the next person some time and make the process even easier.

Before you begin:
1. Check the oil level- I found surprisingly that I needed 1/2 quart to a full quart of Oil. Now this was my normal A service at 47K miles. I read in the maintenance manual that the S class can burn up to .08 quarts of Oil per 600 miles. Needless to say, you should be checking your oil frequently irregardless of your dealer visits. It' s just a good practice to keep your oil filled. This also gave me a good indication of how much oil will be extracted .

2. Run the engine just at or below normal operating temperature before extracting the oil. It helps the process move along better when extracting. Be careful to consider the tubing temperature allowance. Don't drive your car all day then put a PVC plastic tube down your dipstick without considering if the temperature is to hot for the PVC tube. There's been stories of people melting the tube or chucks flaking off because the engine is just too hot. This is just plain common sense .

3. Measure your dip stick and added 3-6 inches extra length to the tube that will be inserted in the dip stick hole. My 2014 w222 used the 1/4 PVC tubing size. My extract came with 3 sizes and the 1/4 was the only one that fit. Connect to a larger tube going into your extractor no more than 6 inch above the dipstick hole. You want the gravity and pressure to help you with the car being higher than the extractor and without any loops or ups and downs in the total tube length.
Let me reinforce the need to test fit your tube in the dip stick to find the bottom without forcing or curling. I found my length after 2 or 3 tries. Once you have it, mark, measure and keep it for the next time you cut your new tube.

4. I recommend not reusing the same tube going into the dipstick . Just purchase extra tubing and cut it to size. That way you have a clean non contaminated tube each time and don't have to concern yourself with cleaning . Also it allows you to see the oil flow clearly each time.

5. Keep the oil cap on during the entire extraction. Remember the system is vacuum sealed. Others have struggled because they did not keep the oil cap on during the process.
6. Unloosen the oil filter so that it drains back toward the system before and during extraction.
7. Make sure the end of the tube going into the dipstick who is cut to a V instead of a square end. This keeps the oil flowing when the tub reaches the bottom of the pan. I you don't, your extraction could stall due to creating a vacuum suction with the bottom of the oil pan.
8. Make sure you always have eye and hand protection on. You never know.

The process:
Total extraction time: 28mins
Total time for fluid fill and filter change: 6 mins

Steps:
1. Run engine temperature from cold to just below normal operating. For me that took about 5 mins of idle from a cold start.

2. Shut the engine off and unloosen the oil cover that houses the filter. lift the filter slightly so that there's a noticeable gap but not completely off.

3. Place the dip stick length PVC plastic tube down the dip stick home with 3-6 inches exposed above the entry point. Now connect it to the larger PVC tube attached to the extractor. The high point should be 3-6 inches above the dipstick mouth and remaining of the tub going downward toward the extractor. Try not to have any other curls, up/downs or another high point before the extractor connection.. The shortest path will make your life easier.

4. Select extract on the extractor and pump the handle 10 times to begin oil extraction. Some have said pump until you fill resistance and you see oil flowing. It's kind of a feel thing. The manual warns against over pressurizing the pump to avoid failure but, I may have pumped 15 times.

5. Now be patient, oil should begin to flow and it will take some time. Refer to my time table below

My time table:
2:43 mins- oil was at the first line.. Or 2 liter mark
8:43 mins- Oil was at the send line or 4 liter mark.
15:58mins- Oil was just below the third line.
19:50 mins- Oil was at the third line. I was concerned and unsure how much more oil was available to extract. Knowing I was already down a quart from my pre-inspection, I know there had to be another quarter available to extract.
24min-- Not much movement.Still unsure but, I started checking the line and notice at the connection point of both tubes, oil was just sitting. So I made the decision to release the pressure in the Mityvac, preposition the tub and pressurizer the size.
BOOM, Winner, Winner. Oil began to flow much faster and it was 3/4 of the way to the 4th line . I then began to hear the sound I was waiting for. The gurgling sound. Like someone was sucking thru a straw. with nothing left. The line had bubbles in it within the next 2 or 3 minus and it was slurping up the last of the oil.
28mins- I calculated I had 7.5 -8.0 quarts in my extractor and the line became clear with no oil in it. That's when i called it quits and felt good about my extraction.

6. Replace the filter and the rubber gasket around the filter cap. Put the oil cap back on. (Some people forget this step for some reason)

7. Reinserted the dip stick, then removed the oil cap and began filling. Now I went directly to 7 quarts thinking i knew exactly what was needed. When I checked the dip stick, it showed over filled. Immediate panic set in for 10 seconds, then I realized I should start the car and let it run for 1 min. After starting the car, then shutting it off and rechecking, the level was just below full. I probably can add 1/2 to 1 quart. Lesson learned, add about 5-6 quarts then begin the process of starting and checking oil to ensure you don't relive my panic moment.

8. Excavate the oil into the old containers and jump for joy. Not one drop of oil spilled anywhere and I'm not wearing oil like normal.

My thoughts:
They Mityvac 7201 was awesome with Oil. it was my first use and it drew the oil with little assistance from me.
The inboard container is large enough to handle a single oil change without stopping and dumping the oil before continuing.
The pump was responsive and immediate in creating suction within the first 5-6 pumps.
The excavation was life saving. I never touched any oil while distributing the old oil back into the original containers.
The device is durable and felt solid. At no time did I feel it was going to tip over or leak.

Last edited by Bigdriver4u; 07-10-2019 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Spell check
Old 07-11-2019, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 196 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by Bigdriver4u
***Before anyone asks about the pictures, I'll attach them once I leave the office detailing the entire process. ****

Let me begin by saying how awesome and effortless this process is if you own an extractor. The entire process from start to finish was 34 minutes including setup , extraction , filter change and adding fluids. There's a couple of advance items to check off before beginning. I spent a few hours researching some of the customer comments, Positive and negative about the 7201 extractor. I applied their recommendations and it made for a flawless process. Hopefully, this will save the next person some time and make the process even easier.

Before you begin:
1. Check the oil level- I found surprisingly that I needed 1/2 quart to a full quart of Oil. Now this was my normal A service at 47K miles. I read in the maintenance manual that the S class can burn up to .08 quarts of Oil per 600 miles. Needless to say, you should be checking your oil frequently irregardless of your dealer visits. It' s just a good practice to keep your oil filled. This also gave me a good indication of how much oil will be extracted .

2. Run the engine just at or below normal operating temperature before extracting the oil. It helps the process move along better when extracting. Be careful to consider the tubing temperature allowance. Don't drive your car all day then put a PVC plastic tube down your dipstick without considering if the temperature is to hot for the PVC tube. There's been stories of people melting the tube or chucks flaking off because the engine is just too hot. This is just plain common sense .

3. Measure your dip stick and added 3-6 inches extra length to the tube that will be inserted in the dip stick hole. My 2014 w222 used the 1/4 PVC tubing size. My extract came with 3 sizes and the 1/4 was the only one that fit. Connect to a larger tube going into your extractor no more than 6 inch above the dipstick hole. You want the gravity and pressure to help you with the car being higher than the extractor and without any loops or ups and downs in the total tube length.
Let me reinforce the need to test fit your tube in the dip stick to find the bottom without forcing or curling. I found my length after 2 or 3 tries. Once you have it, mark, measure and keep it for the next time you cut your new tube.

4. I recommend not reusing the same tube going into the dipstick . Just purchase extra tubing and cut it to size. That way you have a clean non contaminated tube each time and don't have to concern yourself with cleaning . Also it allows you to see the oil flow clearly each time.

5. Keep the oil cap on during the entire extraction. Remember the system is vacuum sealed. Others have struggled because they did not keep the oil cap on during the process.
6. Unloosen the oil filter so that it drains back toward the system before and during extraction.
7. Make sure the end of the tube going into the dipstick who is cut to a V instead of a square end. This keeps the oil flowing when the tub reaches the bottom of the pan. I you don't, your extraction could stall due to creating a vacuum suction with the bottom of the oil pan.

The process:

Steps:
1. Run engine temperature from cold to just below normal operating. For me that took about 5 mins of idle from a cold start.

2. Shut the engine off and unloosen the oil cover that houses the filter. lift the filter slightly so that there's a noticeable gap but not completely off.

3. Place the dip stick length PVC plastic tube down the dip stick home with 3-6 inches exposed above the entry point. Now connect it to the larger PVC tube attached to the extractor. The high point should be 3-6 inches above the dipstick mouth and remaining of the tub going downward toward the extractor. Try not to have any other curls, up/downs or another high point before the extractor connection.. The shortest path will make your life easier.

4. Select extract on the extractor and pump the handle 10 times to begin oil extraction. Some have said pump until you fill resistance and you see oil flowing. It's kind of a feel thing. The manual warns against over pressurizing the pump to avoid failure but, I may have pumped 15 times.

5. Now be patient, oil should begin to flow and it will take some time. Refer to my time table below

My time table:
19:50 mins- Oil was at the third line. I was concerned and unsure how much more oil was available to extract. Knowing I was already down a quart from my pre-inspection, I know there had to be another quarter available to extract.
24min-- Not much movement.Still unsure but, I started checking the line and notice at the connection point of both tubes, oil was just sitting. So I made the decision to release the pressure in the Mityvac, preposition the tub and pressurizer the size.
BOOM, Winner, Winner. Oil began to flow much faster and it was 3/4 of the way to the 4th line . I then began to hear the sound I was waiting for. The gurgling sound. Like someone was sucking thru a straw. with nothing left. The line had bubbles in it within the next 2 or 3 minus and it was slurping up the last of the oil.
28mins- I calculated I had 7.5 -8.0 quarts in my extractor and the line became clear with no oil in it. That's when i called it quits and felt good about my extraction.

6. Replace the filter and the rubber gasket around the filter cap. Put the oil cap back on. (Some people forget this step for some reason)

7. Reinserted the dip stick, then removed the oil cap and began filling. Now I went directly to 7 quarts thinking i knew exactly what was needed. When I checked the dip stick, it showed over filled. Immediate panic set in for 10 seconds, then I realized I should start the car and let it run for 1 min. After starting the car, then shutting it off and rechecking, the level was just below full. I probably can add 1/2 to 1 quart. Lesson learned, add about 5-6 quarts then begin the process of starting and checking oil to ensure you don't relive my panic moment.

8. Excavate the oil into the old containers and jump for joy. Not one drop of oil spilled anywhere and I'm not wearing oil like normal.

My thoughts:
They Mityvac 7201 was awesome with Oil. it was my first use and it drew the oil with little assistance from me.
The inboard container is large enough to handle a single oil change without stopping and dumping the oil before continuing.
The pump was responsive and immediate in creating suction within the first 5-6 pumps.
The excavation was life saving. I never touched any oil while distributing the old oil back into the original containers.
The device is durable and felt solid. At no time did I feel it was going to tip over or leak.
Nice write up! Now if you order your oil from FCP, they will take you used oil and send you new at no charge.... As long as you purchased it from them. Including oil filter...
Old 07-11-2019, 07:44 AM

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
2004 W240 Maybach 57
If you're DIY-ing it, you might consider sending an oil sample to Blackstone Labs for analysis. It will let you know how the internals of the engine are wearing. Also, tells you the "life" left in your oil.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the reminder. I forgot FCP has lifetime on all their wear parts. That's awesome.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:05 AM

That's a great idea. It would be nice to know how I'm fairing with this engine given I plan to keep it for another 30K
Old 07-11-2019, 04:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S550
FCP? theyll take back old oil?

F

Last edited by Florian1; 07-11-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:15 PM

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts
2015 S550, 2017 GLS450
Amazon is having a limited time sale of Castrol 03101 EDGE 0W-40 oil for 20.48 for 5 gallons for the next day. I bought the maximum 6 items. LOL. This is in addition to the 15 jugs I already have in my shelf.

This is a MB 229.5 and 229.3 approved oil (as with approvals from Porsche, Audi, and most importantly, BMW Longlife which Mobil 1 no longer carries) and is FULLY SYNTHETIC group 4 poly-alpha-olefin oil. Technically, it is superior to the popular Mobil 1 which is a gas-to-liquid group 3 oil. If you DIY change your oil, stock up.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by bkdc
Amazon is having a limited time sale of Castrol 03101 EDGE 0W-40 oil for 20.48 for 5 gallons for the next day. I bought the maximum 6 items. LOL. This is in addition to the 15 jugs I already have in my shelf.

This is a MB 229.5 and 229.3 approved oil (as with approvals from Porsche, Audi, and most importantly, BMW Longlife which Mobil 1 no longer carries) and is FULLY SYNTHETIC group 4 poly-alpha-olefin oil. Technically, it is superior to the popular Mobil 1 which is a gas-to-liquid group 3 oil. If you DIY change your oil, stock up.
I think you mean 5 Quarts...
Old 07-11-2019, 05:29 PM

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts
2015 S550, 2017 GLS450
Originally Posted by Nice Ride
I think you mean 5 Quarts...
Whoops. Yes, 5 quarts! LOL.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by bkdc
Whoops. Yes, 5 quarts! LOL.
Lol... Walmart has the lowest pricing on Mobil Syn with Free Shipping also...
Old 08-14-2019, 12:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2014 S550, 2013 E350

Before you begin:

The process:

Steps:

My time table:

My thoughts:
Awesome!!! Did you say you were going to post some pictures?
Old 10-03-2019, 11:29 AM

Received 167 Likes on 128 Posts
2007 S550 4Matic
This is a good write up...The oil dipstick in most models can be used as a tube which means you only need to create an air tight seal at the top of the tube to extract the oil and this is what they do at the dealership. They have an air tight adapter and connect an extractor to that, they do not stick a tube down the dipstick tube because on some 4Matic models you can't get to the bottom of the tank using that method. Placing a tube down the tube is superfluous an air tight seal is all that is needed. The MightyVac 7201 comes with a series of rubber plugs that will create the air tight seal that you need.
Old 03-12-2024, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S550
Originally Posted by EasyPhil
This is a good write up...The oil dipstick in most models can be used as a tube which means you only need to create an air tight seal at the top of the tube to extract the oil and this is what they do at the dealership. They have an air tight adapter and connect an extractor to that, they do not stick a tube down the dipstick tube because on some 4Matic models you can't get to the bottom of the tank using that method. Placing a tube down the tube is superfluous an air tight seal is all that is needed. The MightyVac 7201 comes with a series of rubber plugs that will create the air tight seal that you need.
Do you know what adapter we could get?
Old 03-12-2024, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 518 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
The problem is most of the S class cars post 2018 like mine don't have dipstick tubes as they have the stupid oil readout on the dash. I believe the S450 with the V6's though still do have the dipstick.
Old 04-14-2024, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S550
Curious, how long did you folks measure your dipstick tube to be? I sucked out around 7.6 liters of oil (8 quarts) and think I got most of it but wasn't sure if I might have not hit the bottom.
Old 04-14-2024, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 491 Likes on 367 Posts
222 S-65
Do the work on a hoist and one will find a handy drain plug in the bottom of the sump.

Concerned about if you got it all the first time you use the suction tool? Remove all you can with the suction tool. Then pull the drain plug and see how much comes out.

Those of us without a hoist can put the car on tippy-toes to remove plastic under the engine. It will be snug but safe. Be sure she is in Park with the parking brake set.
Old 04-14-2024, 04:14 PM

Received 157 Likes on 92 Posts
All Cars Lost To Hurricane Isaac (W124 E420 revived - added 88 Allante 14 S550, 17 S63
I use the same unit

I can attest, that damage can result from "over pumping"... I had to purchase a second unit about 6yrs ago.... I creased the tank... guess how??

good write up, thank you, ....my procedure is similar

My thoughts:
Old 04-15-2024, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 955 Likes on 731 Posts
G550
All this complexity to avoid removing and replacing a drain plug? Doesn't the Mityvac come with a smartphone app that does everything?
Old 04-15-2024, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 375 Likes on 254 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
Originally Posted by streborx
Doesn't the Mityvac come with a smartphone app that does everything?
No smart phone app but I was forced to modify the wording that I'm sure took managers and their lawyers months to finalize. K.I.S.S. (keep it stoopid simple), just tell me which way I'm pumping the stuff!

MityVac FTW! LOL

Old 04-15-2024, 03:01 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
2017 S550 coupe, 2013 E550 coupe, 2008 Tahoe
Just an FYI, I decided to see how much additional oil I could get out once the dripping started from the oil pan drain. I put a 250ml beaker under there and filled it up twice over an 8hr period. I know most are not going to do this but goes to show that quick oil changes leave a decent amount of old oil behind to mix with the new oil.
Old 04-15-2024, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 955 Likes on 731 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by wheatswake
Just an FYI, I decided to see how much additional oil I could get out once the dripping started from the oil pan drain. I put a 250ml beaker under there and filled it up twice over an 8hr period. I know most are not going to do this but goes to show that quick oil changes leave a decent amount of old oil behind to mix with the new oil.
Interesting -- my '19 G550 has the 176 engine (4L TT V8), and the owners manual specs the oil capacity as 10L, but filling this amount produces an overfill indication on the instrument panel. Other sources spec the oil capacity as 9.5L, which I've found is the correct replacement fill (with a new filter). So there could be some residual that takes a long time to drip out.