S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

S560 Unexplained Windshield Cracking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 S560
S560 Unexplained Windshield Cracking

I have a 2019 S560. While recently merging into interstate traffic (under acceleration, merging left), I heard a pop and a crack instantly formed from the top middle of the windshield, horizontally across the drivers side. I did not see or hear a rock and there isn't any signs of something actually hitting the windshield. Has any one heard of unexplained (no event) windshield cracking on this or other Mercedes models? I have had windshields cracked by rocks, but this was different. It did not start small and grow it simply immediately appeared, in full size, simultaneous with the "pop" sound.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:24 PM
Veteran: Air Force

Received 206 Likes on 169 Posts
2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
Originally Posted by JRC3002
I have a 2019 S560. While recently merging into interstate traffic (under acceleration, merging left), I heard a pop and a crack instantly formed from the top middle of the windshield, horizontally across the drivers side. I did not see or hear a rock and there isn't any signs of something actually hitting the windshield. Has any one heard of unexplained (no event) windshield cracking on this or other Mercedes models? I have had windshields cracked by rocks, but this was different. It did not start small and grow it simply immediately appeared, in full size, simultaneous with the "pop" sound.
I had a similar incident with my 2016 S550 coupe roof (documented on this site under C-217 Coupes and Cabs). There was no other cars near me while driving at freeway speeds on a clear day. MBZ refused to cover it under warranty and said that it had to be impact damage. I said it appeared to me to be stress related. Fortunately my insurance company covered the replacement and MBZ covered my $1000 deductible as a gesture of "good will".