Upgrading W222 S550 Stock Brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2019 | 12:54 PM
@rt

W222 S550 4matic
Upgrading W222 S550 Stock Brakes

Hello,

It is the time to get my S550 brake job done, by changing rotors and brake pads. I've bee reading a lot of threads and there is quite some opinions as far as keeping stock and going aftermarket. I was thinking about upgrading my S550 into S63 brake pads and rotors. Have anyone installed OEM W222 S63 brake pads/rotors on W222 S550?

Also, I am interested in going aftermarket, but I am a bit sceptic with that when it comes to aftermarket brakes.
Old 09-08-2019 | 01:47 PM

E55
You will not gain anything. There is no way your at the limits of your stock set up on the street. I believe the Sport had the better calipers and are a direct bolt on if that helps? The gold calipers are he ceramic brakes and that conversion is about $20k yes, $20k. Have them painted or wrapped to give some visual appeal.

I would use stock MB rotors as they aren't that expensive. Pads are what will make the difference in "feel" of the pedal. Please do not sacrifice stopping power for cleaner wheels. Most will say use the stock pads but I have always experimented and there is no foul there. Problem is with any aftermarket part there is a down side. Remember MB designed those parts to work together and anytime you alter one part it has an effect on something else.

Porterfield will make any pad you want and I happen to like the way they feel. I do think the stock set up is a bit soft and vague and lacking initial bite. The cars stops perfect but it doesn't have that more aggressive initial bite which I personally like. Then again I have the original parts and at 30k still have plenty of life according to the dealer so I guess they wear well.
The following users liked this post:
Don1954 (09-11-2019)
Old 09-08-2019 | 02:06 PM
@rt

W222 S550 4matic
Originally Posted by DABRONX
You will not gain anything. There is no way your at the limits of your stock set up on the street. I believe the Sport had the better calipers and are a direct bolt on if that helps? The gold calipers are he ceramic brakes and that conversion is about $20k yes, $20k. Have them painted or wrapped to give some visual appeal.

I would use stock MB rotors as they aren't that expensive. Pads are what will make the difference in "feel" of the pedal. Please do not sacrifice stopping power for cleaner wheels. Most will say use the stock pads but I have always experimented and there is no foul there. Problem is with any aftermarket part there is a down side. Remember MB designed those parts to work together and anytime you alter one part it has an effect on something else.

Porterfield will make any pad you want and I happen to like the way they feel. I do think the stock set up is a bit soft and vague and lacking initial bite. The cars stops perfect but it doesn't have that more aggressive initial bite which I personally like. Then again I have the original parts and at 30k still have plenty of life according to the dealer so I guess they wear well.

Before I went to Mercedes from BMW cars, that's what I used to do, leave OEM rotors, get some decent ceramic brake pads, and that would do it. I mean, I'm not racing with with my S550 so yes I get your point, I think its more of visual preference to put something like AMG brake setup, but of course to spend extra thousands of $ maybe doesn't make sense. I just looked ant Porterfield website, never used their product before...
Old 02-13-2020 | 11:04 AM

15' W222
Originally Posted by DABRONX
Wow, I've never heard of the covers or the concept of wrapping calipers. Admittedly, I just wanted the red AMG (look) and not overly concerned about additional stopping power. Has anyone done wraps or covers? Are the covers pretty easy to install? Just watched a video on wrapping and he said it was like 30-45 minutes per caliper! I'd value my time much more than that and just by THESE covers for $240

Last edited by LAWYER2; 02-13-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-13-2020 | 02:36 PM

S550 4Matic
Instead of covers, you could try paint. Check out G@ High Temperature Brake Caliper Paint System

Amazon Amazon