S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Deactivate distronic plus while using cruise control.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,571 Likes on 2,041 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by INTMD8
Found this thread in a search. Agree as well.

Cruise control is worthless unless there is no traffic.
I could not disagree more. Living in Orange County, CA and driving through the greater Los Angles area on occasion, I find Distronic Plus to be INVALUABLE in saving my sanity in stop & go traffic. I use it mostly on the freeways, but will also use it on highways and faster surface streets.​​​​​​ Glance away from the car ahead of you for an instant, he slams on his brakes, DS has you covered. It’s like having another pair of eyes always watching your path of travel. I do, however, NEVER use it in passing situations. I disengage the system when passing, as there are just too many dangerous variables during these maneuvers.
The following 3 users liked this post by Streamliner:
George A. (08-06-2023), Nice Ride (08-15-2020), superswiss (08-16-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 331 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup
You are cruising just over speed limit on interstate quality road. In about 30 seconds your car will change lanes to pass a semi-truck. In about 25 seconds a car already in the left lane will pass you and start to pass the semi.

Under scenarios like this, as the trailing car passes you, you SHOULD be able to change lanes into his wake. But if you do this, the DP feature slams on the brakes (which is completely unnecessary.)

Now imagine a third car 10 seconds behind the trailing car you are trying to blend in between the two car and all 3 cars pass the semi.
In this case, when DP slams on the brakes the 3rd (innocent) car is put in a difficult situation.

I, too, leave it off 90%+ of the time.

If you are signaling as you get into the car's wake, the car realizes you are flowing back into the right lane and the sudden hard braking usually won't happen. It immediately detects that the car that passed you is going faster than you are, even if it is only 1 MPH faster, and even if the distance is closer than you have chosen on the 4 allowed. I keep my distance control on level 2 (out of 4).
Old 08-16-2020, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup
OK, an example::

a) you look out the rear view mirror and see a car heading your way followed by a second car 10 seconds further back at same speed,
b) you observe that the car will pass you in 20 seconds,
c) you will reach a semi-truck in front of you in 25 seconds,

Any driver can manage this situation:: allow car to pass and pull out right behind him.

The way distronic handles this situation is to see the semi-truck in front of you just as other car passes and slows so you have lost you speed and if you pull out between cars you will endanger the second approaching car due to loss in speed.

Alternately, distronic does not start to slow as the truck is far enough away, but as you pull out behind first car dstronic slams on the brakes and endangers the second following car.

I turner Distronic off because of these situations. It is very annoying.
This situation is not a problem for me. I would have just trailed the semi , allowed it to slow me down, then wait for the 2nd car to pass me as well, then GIVE A LEFT TURN SIGNAL, then move over into the left lane and the car will smoothly speed back up quickly so that you are not blocking the left lane. I usually set my cruise at 77 mph. This gives me a cushion of speed to get through these type of situations while not getting pulled over by a cop. They usually allow 9 mph over the limit. I'm 57 and I have never had a speeding ticket!
Old 08-16-2020, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by superswiss
A bit of an older thread, but playing devil's advocate here. This is a fairly unique situation where it's probably best to take manual control of the car. First off, you can always override DISTRONIC using the throttle. The moment you step on the throttle, DISTRONIC suspends its operation until you let off the throttle again and then it resumes. But perhaps in a situation like this, it's best to hit cancel and take full manual control. Alternatively, DISTRONIC in conjunction with the active steering assist can change lanes automatically for passing when it's safe. All you have to do is turn on the blinker, and then the car will accelerate and complete the lane change for you. It may not do it in a situation like this, though, if there is not enough room to do it safely. Just imagine one of the cars you mention here abruptly steps on the brakes for some reason. I would argue this is a situation where the driver should be in full control, even with regular CC.

DISTRONIC, and cruise control in general for that matter, active steering assist and lane keep assist are as is in their name assistance systems that are designed to take over some of the driving functions while the driver continues to stay alert and in charge. They do not replace the driver and should really not be used when making maneuvers such as the above example. Use your judgment.
I never use the lane departure warning system (LDS) nor the active steering assist (ASA). I only the use the cruise control portion of the system. If I ever do use the LDS or the ASA, it's only on wide open interstate situations where simply passing a freight truck is the biggest obstacle. Never would I use it in metro areas.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by INTMD8
You can't adjust it close enough.

During my morning drive most are doing 80-90mph on 4 lanes, lane changing with maybe 1-2 car lengths gap (at best).

Distronic is literally worthless unless I want to get passed and cut off by the entire world.

It would consist of- I have 6 car lengths in front of me doing 85. Everyone sees this and closes that gap, car brakes and makes another 6 car gap, gets filled over and over.

With regular cruise someone could fill the gap and I cruise along with a few car lengths ahead of me and no constant/excessive braking.
Yes, this is true and annoying so I just get over to the right one lane and decide to just go a little slower than I would want. Keep in mind, cops are writing a lot of tickets for tailgating and for holding up traffic in the left lane. Sometimes I feel like I'm a NASCAR driver if I try to keep the gap closed so I decide to choose safety first and move over. Not worth the risk.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by hyperion667
I FAWKING HATE that! When you're following at a safe distance and EVERYONE assumes that is space for them to get in front of you!!

Yep! These drivers are why we see 3 hour long stalled traffic jams due to their selfish need to get to their destination 3 minutes sooner, causing an epic crash. They are also TEXTING while driving selfishly. These are things that convince me fully autonomous cars are not going to be successful as much as I would love to see it.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:21 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by MBS63AMG
Yep! These drivers are why we see 3 hour long stalled traffic jams due to their selfish need to get to their destination 3 minutes sooner, causing an epic crash. They are also TEXTING while driving selfishly. These are things that convince me fully autonomous cars are not going to be successful as much as I would love to see it.
Seems to be a daily occurance.....everywhere there are cars!
Old 08-26-2020, 02:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 S550 4Matic
Distance

I wish I could tighten up the distance even more cause cars cut in on me and then it brakes.
Old 08-05-2023, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE450
Originally Posted by jpaul4
Is it possible to Deactivate dostronic plus while using cruise control. I find it annoying when on interstate and just don’t use cruise control.
I also find the adaptive cruise control irritating. We bought a GLE450 for my wife, I had my heart set on getting myself a Benz in two years but between the adaptive cruise and the infotainment I am probably going to pass. The adaptive doesn't merely slow down, it brakes hard, it "overreacts" to situations, and it brakes going through mild curves. If I feel I need to slow down going through a curve or when someone changes lanes in front of me I will tap the brakes and disengage the cruise control - I don't need this level of automation. I absolutely can't stand it and I am a big user of cruise control because it helps me avoid speeding tickets.
Old 08-05-2023, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,813 Likes on 2,549 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by RJPJ
I also find the adaptive cruise control irritating. We bought a GLE450 for my wife, I had my heart set on getting myself a Benz in two years but between the adaptive cruise and the infotainment I am probably going to pass. The adaptive doesn't merely slow down, it brakes hard, it "overreacts" to situations, and it brakes going through mild curves. If I feel I need to slow down going through a curve or when someone changes lanes in front of me I will tap the brakes and disengage the cruise control - I don't need this level of automation. I absolutely can't stand it and I am a big user of cruise control because it helps me avoid speeding tickets.
Much of this can be adjusted in the settings. Slowing down in the curves or for other route specific situations can all be turned off.
Old 08-06-2023, 04:55 AM

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Mercedes S550
Agree with you. In passing or lane changing situations, I always do it manually, and reengage the Distronic when I am in the lane that I want.
Old 08-25-2023, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Benz S320 2002
I have the same issue as what is being discussed in this thread. Distronic for me is a nuisance. It does not allow me to maintain speed when passing traffic and changing lanes simultaneously. It brakes and slows down and on few occasions tightened the belt on me anticipating an imminent crash. The Distronic is not as smart as the driver. It was designed and built for lazy drivers and a push for automation. Not my thing. I am looking to trade my Benz for perhaps a BMW where adaptive cruise control can be disabled for regular cruise control.
Old 08-25-2023, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,571 Likes on 2,041 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
In the W222, it is simple to just cancel the cruise when you go to pass or in a case where changing lanes requires it and then just hit "resume" when you are done with your maneuvers. To me, Distronic Plus as used in the W222, is one of "THE" all time best features any automobile company has ever offered and I use it very frequently and have for years now.
The following users liked this post:
Quenthel (08-27-2023)