S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

DTC Code

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 543 Likes on 299 Posts
18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
DTC Code

Hey all I got a trouble code for the passenger seat where the memory functions are not working correctly.

My code is B1F7D54 and I have been searching high and low for what this code means. Perhaps someone else knows?

Katie
Old 01-05-2020, 01:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 S 550 / SOLD:2012 CLS 550
Wish I could help but I know that the M.B. dealer would know. Oh...I forgot, you don't have an extended warranty with M.B. Damn !
Old 01-05-2020, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 392 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
Come on Chucky, she did not ask for a snarky remark about her warranty choices. I am sure someone on the board can tell her exactly what the problem is.
The following users liked this post:
declo2000 (01-06-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,028 Likes on 745 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by superpop
Come on Chucky, she did not ask for a snarky remark about her warranty choices. I am sure someone on the board can tell her exactly what the problem is.

+1.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 01-05-2020 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
I figured it out. I took removed the seat bolts and lifted the seat and took out the control box. PS the front even opens for the fire extinguisher (passenger seat) and theres the mount for it as well. Go figure. You simply have to push from the back of the front panel to open it on its hinge.

So I removed the control box, inspected the wires and did not see any issues. I reinstalled the box and did some trial and error work and discovered the issue. With the headrest in the total up position the seat memory stops working and the seat controls will only move the seat whatever way you want in increments for each push of the control. So if I lower the headrest down the the lowest position it will all work correctly again and can even raise it but not to the exact top with all features working correctly.

I took the headrest out of the seat and cleaned the contacts and the same exact result was there as well so needless to say we will simply NOT raise the headrest all the way up from here on out.

Go figure. Chuck if you want to waste your money on warranties be my guest. Like I said they dont sell them out of the goodness of their hearts. They sell them to make money off people using MATH to know they will make money off people and sell them using FEAR of the unknown................
Old 01-05-2020, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Katie22
I figured it out. I took removed the seat bolts and lifted the seat and took out the control box. PS the front even opens for the fire extinguisher (passenger seat) and theres the mount for it as well. Go figure. You simply have to push from the back of the front panel to open it on its hinge.

So I removed the control box, inspected the wires and did not see any issues. I reinstalled the box and did some trial and error work and discovered the issue. With the headrest in the total up position the seat memory stops working and the seat controls will only move the seat whatever way you want in increments for each push of the control. So if I lower the headrest down the the lowest position it will all work correctly again and can even raise it but not to the exact top with all features working correctly.

I took the headrest out of the seat and cleaned the contacts and the same exact result was there as well so needless to say we will simply NOT raise the headrest all the way up from here on out.

Go figure. Chuck if you want to waste your money on warranties be my guest. Like I said they dont sell them out of the goodness of their hearts. They sell them to make money off people using MATH to know they will make money off people and sell them using FEAR of the unknown................

Katie,

As always thank you for sharing your learnings with the rest of the forum. As I have mentioned before you are my kind of MB owner in that I tend to own them out of warranty and figure the best strategy to keep the ownership costs reasonable including what I can DIY. While it is true that the warranties on average pay out less than they take in, that is also true for all insurance and certainly no one in their right mind would own a house without fire insurance. Which is to say there are certainly instances where these warranties will more that pay for themselves especially for cars with parts as expensive as these cars. An example of this is last year my transfer case started to make noise. The dealer would have replaced the whole transmission to the tune of $8700. A local indy rebuilt the the transfer case for about $3k including a fluid change. My son who has equivalent wrenching skills as you told me I was totally being ripped off and to do it myself, but frankly I wasn't in position to do that for a number of reasons not the least of which is I don't have a lift.

So while I embrace your approach, not everyone has your skills, aptitude and resources to keep these cars maintained as cost effectively as you do and for them buying a warranty may make sense.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 01-05-2020 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 490 Likes on 341 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by chuck007
Wish I could help but I know that the M.B. dealer would know. Oh...I forgot, you don't have an extended warranty with M.B. Damn !
Thanks for sharing your immaturity with us.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I own my house and have no insurance on it. In Florida it’s very $$ for home ins. I’ll take my chances,have an excellent alarm system, and will fix it myself if something goes wrong or rebuild or buy a new house.

Last edited by Katie22; 01-05-2020 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Katie22
I own my house and have no insurance on it. In Florida it’s very $$ for home ins. I’ll take my chances,have an excellent alarm system, and will fix it myself if something goes wrong or rebuild or buy a new house.
I am truly impressed.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Katue,

Would like you to review the headlight moisture thread. There is a post that indicates that moisture cause $10K worth of damage to headlights / electronics. Curious what your thoughts are on that.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Katue,

Would like you to review the headlight moisture thread. There is a post that indicates that moisture cause $10K worth of damage to headlights / electronics. Curious what your thoughts are on that.

Yes and it also points out it’s normal. Even when they replace them they fog up brand new. Crap I got some moisture in mine, when I washed it the other day.

Should I spend $5000 on a warranty with six pages of tiny print with exclusions so they can get out of paying claims, 1000 deductible for any claim, and finally a warranty that Only covers from 50000 miles to 100000 miles and then ends when cars ACTUALLY start needing more expensive repairs? IS $5000 worth a such a narrow window of opportunity? I say now and of course that $5000 you pay does nothing for you. My $5000 probably doubled last year in the great stock market we had but if I had brought a dam warranty I would not have been able to do that.

But WAIT THERES MORE for anyone to buy a warranty they must ignore the MILLIONS of complaints filled about these **** companies that refuse to pay out on a claim. All it takes is a quick search to see how shady these companies tend to be......

Finally in all reality one should only buy something if they can afford to own it. That INCLUDES repairs since that is part of owning a product. But hey I digress the world is filled with people that buy stuff they can’t afford, great examples of this are boats and rv s. They make the payment but can’t afford to care for them so they just go to hell and get sold to a new sucker buying someone else’s problem.

Oh I forgot the vultures selling warranty crap love these people since they can’t really afford to own the product so why not sell them some **** to alleviate any fears of a bill they can’t afford.

YEa MB I hate warranties and I am NOT a fan of insurance either but thats a different story.

Last edited by Katie22; 01-06-2020 at 05:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MBNUT1 (01-06-2020)