S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

BENT RIMS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 07:30 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2012 E550 Sedan
If an S-Class originally came with 19" or 20" wheels/tires and you decide you want to downsize to 18" do you need to have anything reprogrammed in the car? I know the MPH will be off and it might also affect the stability control system if you change tire sizes. Do you have to go into a secret settings menu in the car to change the tire size to 18"? If you know how to do this please share.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 349 Likes on 260 Posts
2016 S550, 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid
Check the tire diameter, may not be that much different
Old 01-05-2021, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 S550 (W22)
I too have been experiencing challenges with bent rims. Also, the lack of a spare is an issue too. The rims/tire issue is the only part of my W22 ownership experience that I don't enjoy.

I like the idea of having a Space Saving Wheel/Tire. Does anyone have a lead as to where I can purchase one?
Old 01-05-2021, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,687 Likes on 2,111 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by KHOPS
I too have been experiencing challenges with bent rims. Also, the lack of a spare is an issue too. The rims/tire issue is the only part of my W22 ownership experience that I don't enjoy.

I like the idea of having a Space Saving Wheel/Tire. Does anyone have a lead as to where I can purchase one?
Every time a W221 gets totaled, another compact spare becomes available. Watch eBay (that’s where I got mine) or check with high end auto dismantlers. AND, right now, send MBUSA and the GM of your dealer an email, telling them how unhappy you are with the idiotic decision MB has made regarding no spares. They should—at the very least—be an available option.
The following users liked this post:
KHOPS (01-05-2021)
Old 06-18-2023, 12:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I know an old thread, but it was helpful in my decision to downsize wheels.
2015 S550 Sport
I think I have developed a tire pressure phobia as I have driven with the tire pressure page always in the cluster due to multiple cracked wheels.
The roads are good in SoCal, so no excuse for cracking wheels.

Based on info from this site, and elsewhere, I decided to downgrade to an 18" wheel to get peace of mind and reliably non-cracking wheels, And also to try to achieve bearable ride comfort.

I just cringed with the 20’s at every small road imperfection.
The sharp jolts from manhole covers, railroad crossings, and even roadway seams were driving me crazy.
For a car like this to ride like that was inexcusable.
But I looked cool with those 20’s.

Mercedes offered 18's as standard, yet as far as I can tell there is only one wheel style in 18, and its pretty pathetic.
And just a note to some comments indicating irregularities with vehicle control and monitoring systems due to wheel size changes, there are none.
All variations of 18, 19, and 20" wheels for the W222 use tire profiles with the same outer tire diameter, and do not affect any vehicle systems.

With each inch of reduction in wheel diameter you get an additional ½” of sidewall comfort.
So going from 20’s to 18’s adds a full inch of sidewall.
It may not sound like much, but read on.

Due to the lackluster design of the factory 18's I investigated some aftermarket wheels.
My local tire shop had some nice 18's in stock that had the same design as my current 20's and was gracious enough to let me try them on.
Unfortunately, they rubbed on the front calipers, just a smidgen, but that's enough.
We tried a couple other sets, but no joy.

This made me consider some internet claims that W222 models with the Sport package had bigger calipers.
But after further research this was debunked.
I figured the factory wheels would be the gold standard for fitment.

I was lucky enough to find a used set locally and was able to bolt one on and check the clearance.
There isn't much, but they don't rub.

Now to the fun part.
I threw away the factory Run Flats on the wheels and had a set of new Bridgestone Turanza Quiet tracks in 245-50/18 (non-staggered) installed.

First drive: A moment of pure Zen.
Instantly it was more than apparent that a miraculous transformation had occurred.
This was no subtle improvement, this was epic.
This is how a luxury car is supposed to ride.

I now actively run over lane markers, manhole covers, and any little bumps just for the satisfaction.
A sublime comfort now envelops me with this luxurious ride.
I may not look as cool as I did with the 20’s, but I can probably reduce the dosage of my blood pressure medication....

The only upside of the 20’s is that I discovered helium for TIG welding.
My Miller Dynasty is a 210 amp machine, and struggled to heat a puddle in the thicker parts of the wheel, (I got to the point of fixing my wheels myself).
My welding supply shop recommended a helium argon gas mix.
I was skeptical, but wow, what a huge difference, with a 50/50 mix I was actually able to turn the welder down to about 150 amps and easily get full penetration of the thickest part of the wheel.

So, this is just one guys experience, but I thank all of the posters who each added a piece to this thread to move me in this direction.
The following 4 users liked this post by Sooper Jenius:
Donnymac (06-18-2023), LTGTRNOLA (06-26-2023), SilverArrow44 (06-21-2023), Streamliner (06-18-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
[QUOTE=Sooper Jenius;8799123]I know an old thread, but it was helpful in my decision to downsize wheels.
2015 S550 Sport
I think I have developed a tire pressure phobia as I have driven with the tire pressure page always in the cluster due to multiple cracked wheels.

Based on info from this site, and elsewhere, I decided to downgrade to an 18" wheel to get peace of mind and reliably non-cracking wheels, And also to try to achieve bearable ride comfort.

The sharp jolts from manhole covers, railroad crossings, and even roadway seams were driving me crazy.

Mercedes offered 18's as standard, yet as far as I can tell there is only one wheel style in 18, and its pretty pathetic.
And just a note to some comments indicating irregularities with vehicle control and monitoring systems due to wheel size changes, there are none.
All variations of 18, 19, and 20" wheels for the W222 use tire profiles with the same outer tire diameter, and do not affect any vehicle systems.

With each inch of reduction in wheel diameter you get an additional ½” of sidewall comfort.

Due to the lackluster design of the factory 18's I investigated some aftermarket wheels.
My local tire shop had some nice 18's in stock that had the same design as my current 20's and was gracious enough to let me try them on.
Unfortunately, they rubbed on the front calipers, just a smidgen, but that's enough.

This made me consider some internet claims that W222 models with the Sport package had bigger calipers.

I was lucky enough to find a used set locally and was able to bolt one on and check the clearance.

Now to the fun part.
I threw away the factory Run Flats on the wheels and had a set of new Bridgestone Turanza Quiet tracks in 245-50/18 (non-staggered) installed.

Instantly it was more than apparent that a miraculous transformation had occurred.

I now actively run over lane markers, manhole covers, and any little bumps just for the satisfaction.
I may not look as cool as I did with the 20’s, but I can probably reduce the dosage of my blood pressure medication....

My Miller Dynasty is a 210 amp machine, and struggled to heat a puddle in the thicker parts of the wheel, (I got to the point of fixing my wheels myself).
I was skeptical, but wow, what a huge difference, with a 50/50 mix I was actually able to turn the welder down to about 150 amps and easily get full penetration of the thickest part of the wheel.

So, this is just one guys experience, but I thank all of the posters who each added a piece to this thread to move me in this direction.[/QUOTE

Well, I’m absolutely convinced that most here will think that I WROTE this post incognito!​​​​​​ This member and I are definitely on the same wave length when it comes to ride quality concerns and how wheel diameter and tire choices can make a huge difference. Congratulations friend. PLEASE post photos of your car with the 18’s, as I am considering the purchase of a W222 with the AMG Line body and would be doing the exact same thing you did. By the way, does your car have Magic Body Control or 4-Matic?
Old 06-18-2023, 11:37 AM

Received 156 Likes on 132 Posts
S560/LS460/Q70L 5.6 AWD
The FIRST thing I did after buying my 560 was to get rid of the 19's and the RF tires.
I've got a set of 18's with Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3 from Tire Rack.
The difference is night and day.
Took Stream advice, worth every word he wrote !
Thank you again !
The following 2 users liked this post by tx170754:
HAILERS2 (06-19-2023), Streamliner (06-18-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 348 Likes on 228 Posts
S600
Originally Posted by chassis
The wheels are bent because M-B has made a poor choice, from the consumer’s perspective, in terms of wheel and tire combination. Large diameter wheels and low profile tires create an unfavorable situation where wheel damage is more frequent.

This situation is made worse because automakers continually seek lower cost and weight in all components, including wheels. This allows them to make more money and meet fuel economy and emissions standards.

One claim that will be made in support of large diameter wheels is the style/cosmetic appearance argument. It’s a subjective claim and, as this thread shows, can have a negative consequence for the consumer.
But the <uninformed> consumer thinks that since race cars use really big wheels, their car will be more like a race car if it has really big wheels.
The opposite is true--but the consumer takes appearance over utility and comfort.

20" wheels add almost ½ the amount of weight saved by not having a spare (compared to 18" wheels).

But now we are in a conundrum, so many people are in the 20" wheel category that tire manufactures are not making to tiers we want in 18" sizes.
Thus, the world is run by the stupid, for the stupid, .....

And don't get me started on run craps..........
The following 3 users liked this post by Mitch Alsup:
Donnymac (06-18-2023), Streamliner (06-18-2023), tx170754 (06-18-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 348 Likes on 228 Posts
S600
Originally Posted by steinjr
I have owned multiple Mercedes models and they all suffer from bent wheels. Daily commute in big city and it's going to happen.
Hint:: forged wheels take almost 2× as much abuse before bending (and are lighter at the same time.)
The following 2 users liked this post by Mitch Alsup:
LTGTRNOLA (06-26-2023), Streamliner (06-18-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,022 Likes on 742 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Sooper Jenius
I know an old thread, but it was helpful in my decision to downsize wheels.
2015 S550 Sport

Now to the fun part.

So, this is just one guys experience, but I thank all of the posters who each added a piece to this thread to move me in this direction.
Stream you know that having more that one name on the site is a violation of the TOU.
Streamliner (06-18-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 04:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,650 Likes on 2,254 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Stream you know that having more that one name on the site is a violation of the TOU.
Then that begs the question, why did that "alt/secondary account" joined earlier than forum member streamliner
June 2006 vs Oct 2010
Old 06-18-2023, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Then that begs the question, why did that "alt/secondary account" joined earlier than forum member streamliner
June 2006 vs Oct 2010
We’re in cahoots!
Old 06-18-2023, 05:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Streamliner
We’re in cahoots!
and... looks like the date is "going backwards" here or I live in "the future (2023)" or you live "in the past (2010)"
Old 06-20-2023, 11:50 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 SL500 // 2015 S550
This is fantastic - there was another thread where I posted about whether the 18s will fit the S550 w/ AMG Sports package (Tirerack removes them as an option once you select AMG Sports Package).

And, I also share in that same exact feeling of anxiety/pit in stomach when approaching a road imperfection. My 20s are at the point where they are bending from what seems like general use (i.e. do not remember hitting anything large enough to bend a wheel). Also, no damage to tires, but apparently enough to knock the wheel out-of-round.

Well done, and as mentioned above, it would be great to see some pics!
Old 06-20-2023, 12:03 PM

Received 156 Likes on 132 Posts
S560/LS460/Q70L 5.6 AWD
The problem with these 19" or 20" wheels is that they look gorgeous from the outside, once you're driving the car that "look" goes away and you're exposed to a bumpy ride and the risk of bending, or even cracking, the wheels very soon.
The following 2 users liked this post by tx170754:
Jay04SL (06-20-2023), Streamliner (06-21-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 08:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by tx170754
The problem with these 19" or 20" wheels is that they look gorgeous from the outside, once you're driving the car that "look" goes away and you're exposed to a bumpy ride and the risk of bending, or even cracking, the wheels very soon.
less stiff tires like non run-flats usually helps as well as adjusting tire pressure, although adjusting tire pressures might not be worth it as a trade of of a worse ride, the getting rid of run-flats will improve the ride though
Streamliner (06-21-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tx170754
I honestly believe that MB goes out of their way to make the smaller wheels look ugly. They want everyone to buy their S Class with the AMG Line bodywork and larger wheels. Both options are cash-cows for MB. I don’t believe the AMG Line body panels cost anything more to produce than the standard panels, so the option price is almost all added to MB’s bottom line. The same goes for the larger wheels. So, if you want ultimate comfort, you go with not-so-great-looking 18” wheels. Forget the AMG Line and option Magic Body Control. Of course, I am speaking in the past tense, prior to 2021.
Old 06-22-2023, 06:06 AM

Received 63 Likes on 32 Posts
2016 S550, 1997 LS Swap Silverado. 2010 Jag XFR, 2003 G35 Sedan, 1999 LS6 swap Z28.
Originally Posted by VKS400
Who the hell needs a spare? Run flats is the way to go..
I can assure you if you hit anything at freeway speeds a tow is all that will be appropriate anyway..
Old 06-22-2023, 06:17 AM

Received 63 Likes on 32 Posts
2016 S550, 1997 LS Swap Silverado. 2010 Jag XFR, 2003 G35 Sedan, 1999 LS6 swap Z28.
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I think that depends on what city, what wheels/tires & how one drives. I’ve driven MB since 1975 in the greater L.A./Orange County area and have NEVER bent or broken a wheel.
Me in So Cal (Riverside) since 1986.
Victorville-Hit a truck re tread at 70, tore the whole front off my 2003 G35 Sedan, CHP actually helped me push off the 15fwy.
605fwy@ Firestone exit-Hit a HUGE pot hole, destroyed both the driver side tires on my 2010 Jag XFR.
91fwy-ran over a dam ladder in my 1997 Silverado 4 flats.
Sir you have been lucky...lol