S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

MB infrared reflecting glass spec

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 689 Likes on 448 Posts
Current/Last 5-years:S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:S550, BMW X7; X5;BMW 530e;20'Lincoln Navigator;LS460
MB infrared reflecting glass spec

I was navigating through 3M website and liked their Window Film Crystalline Series which blocks up to 97% of IR "97% Infrared Rejection" (meaning the solar component that causes heat, so am not referring to a tint that blocks visible light or making the window darker).
Before I go ahead and apply it, I wanted to see if anyone has access to MB glass specification. I know it an infrared reflecting glass, but am looking for a document that references the specifications and exactly the Infrared Rejection ratio of the glass as is to see if the film will add any benefit or not. The glass with no film seems to be okay during summer, but I am willing to try adding this clear 3M Film Crystalline if the glass by itself doesn't reflect enough IR.

Anyone has access to a report or document or MB glass specification used on the W222?
Old 06-06-2020, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 317 Likes on 218 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by S_W222
I was navigating through 3M website and liked their Window Film Crystalline Series which blocks up to 97% of IR "97% Infrared Rejection" (meaning the solar component that causes heat, so am not referring to a tint that blocks visible light or making the window darker).
Before I go ahead and apply it, I wanted to see if anyone has access to MB glass specification. I know it an infrared reflecting glass, but am looking for a document that references the specifications and exactly the Infrared Rejection ratio of the glass as is to see if the film will add any benefit or not. The glass with no film seems to be okay during summer, but I am willing to try adding this clear 3M Film Crystalline if the glass by itself doesn't reflect enough IR.

Anyone has access to a report or document or MB glass specification used on the W222?
As I recall MB has been quoted stating the IR reflects up to 50%.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 689 Likes on 448 Posts
Current/Last 5-years:S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:S550, BMW X7; X5;BMW 530e;20'Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Originally Posted by MTrauman
As I recall MB has been quoted stating the IR reflects up to 50%.
Thanks. Any chance we could find a reference to a document or anything online to confirm the number? of OEM is 70% or more then I guess the idea of adding film is useless. but with 50%, I think I'd add a film if that's the case, I wish I could find a document that reference the specs.