S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

2016 W222 COMMAND shuts off after about 30 seconds.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F350 7.3l
2016 W222 COMMAND shuts off after about 30 seconds.

I'm having an issue where the COMMAND screen just goes black after about 30 seconds. It doesn't matter what (RADIO,NAVI,SEAT, MEDIA) I select, the function behaves pretty normally with the exception of no audio being played. Normally, If I select RADIO, audio would start playing almost immediately, but I now hear no audio ever for any of the functions. Not matter what function I select, NAV, VEHICLE, MEDIA, the menus all work as expected for about 30 seconds, then the display goes black and does nothing until I press the ON button again at which time the cycle repeats. I only recently (<1month) purchased the vehicle and the previous owner left 3 home-burned audio CDs in the changer. This weekend I ejected them and was playing around with a DVD which played correctly and in surround - cool. Everything worked fine and I powered the vehicle down and got out. Today, (3 dys later) I get in the vehicle and I have the issue mentioned above.

Things I've tried:
1) removing all discs from the changer - no difference.
2) Inserting the disc(s) back one at a time - no difference (This requires pressing ON and navigating very quickly through the menus as it just just dies at about 30 seconds no matter where you are in the menus).

Questions:
Is there an engineering mode / diagnostic / way (without XENTRY) to determine failure codes from the COMMAND system?
Could it be an error in the amp or one of the other components in fiber ring?
Is there any point on trying to locate those components and reseat / check fiber connections?
Is there a hard reset for COMMAND other than or up to and including pulling a battery cable?

Any troubleshooting / advice is greatly appreciated!

-Wade
1) I notice that the cd/dvd driver seems to be trying repeatedly and on its own to periodically read the
Old 09-17-2020, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 343 Likes on 224 Posts
S600
A) sounds like the on/off button is broken
B) why not take it to the dealer ?
Old 09-17-2020, 02:20 PM

F350 7.3l
Hi Mitch - Thanks for the response.
A) I would probably tend to lean towards it not being the actual button itself as the unit powers on with no problem or intermittent behavior.
B) Trying to eliminate anything "moderately simple" before paying big $$$ to the dealer as it is not under warranty. I have perviously done quite a bit of my own work / troubleshooting up to and including electronics, etc. I was trying to see if anyone had any similar experiences or insight.

Old 09-17-2020, 03:09 PM

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
S550 4Matic
Get your checkbook ready, this is gonna cost ya. I predict a new command unit is in your future.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:30 AM

SL55 AMG, E350cgi
Probably stupid question, but is the engine running when this occurs?

behaviour sounds like the system is experiencing a voltage drop- lazy battery?

Old 10-16-2020, 04:43 PM

F350 7.3l
Angry

So I just wanted to share the resolution to this seemingly simple and not completely unheard of issue: New COMMAND unit from the dealer for only $5445.88. Can't find any dealer or indie willing / able to code a used one for this late a model, W222. The actual code was b227d00 and is mentioned here in an NTHSA.gov bulletin so it is a known issue!!!

Enjoy the image below anytime time you think you just paid a lot for a part!!

Ouch

I just bought this car Aug 20, 2020, with no warranty and the the dealer from whom I bought (several states away) has (graciously) offered to split the cost, which they are not obligated to do as it was an AS IS purchase. I guess I just had extremely good luck with the other 4 other MBs I've purchased AS IS over the years.

I must say as an embedded hardware , firmware and software engineer of 25+ years experience, in domains at least as complex as COMMAND, I have a real problem paying $5k for a system that can't be updated because a watchdog timer can't b e disabled long enough to perform an update. I've lost a TON of faith in MB over this.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MC-10136176-9999.pdf (44.3 KB, 560 views)