S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Cost for new batteries?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 05:10 PM

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 S550, 1995 E320, 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee
The procedure I outlined is in fact the Mercedes official procedure. It does not involve any reprogramming, recalibration, or resetting, as long as you initially attach a 12 VDC power source as I described and use the correct battery. Look up the actual Mercedes service bulletin to verify. The bulletin you read is either outdated or for another model. To make it even easier, there is a 5 minute YouTube video I just found that follows the Mercedes procedure exactly. Search for "Mercedes S550 Battery Replacement - The Battery Shop." One has to be careful with YouTube videos, as there is another one that shows the viewer how to replace the battery without using an external power source - that procedure does require the resetting of several settings when done. There are Mercedes mechanics who do not know this procedure and they will replace the battery and then have to readjust several items in the vehicle, such as the windows, sun roofs, seats, and other presets. It is also imperative that only AGM batteries with the same specs be used in W222s, as the vehicle's charging circuit is programmed only for this type of battery.

Regarding reconditioning AGM batteries, one cannot easily replace the electrolyte in AGM batteries because the electrolyte is in a “dry” or suspended state rather than in free liquid form, so it can't spill either. Reconditioning is accomplished using a special battery charger/reconditioner specifically made for AGM batteries. Not all lead acid batteries can be reconditioned for various reasons, but it is often worth a try.
The following users liked this post:
MBNUT1 (03-07-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 220 Posts
S600
Originally Posted by DaveW68
Do these costs appear to be outrageously high for battery replacement?
What exactly did you think would happen after we shut down the last lead smelter in the country ??
Not only are car batteries essentially made in china,
if we ever went back to war we won't have enough led to make the needed bullets.......
Old 03-07-2021, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 984 Likes on 720 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
I replaced the battery in my E Class the old fashioned way ie disconnect the terminals remove battery replace reconnect terminals and the car didn't seem to know the difference.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Originally Posted by Bart-N3GQ
The procedure I outlined is in fact the Mercedes official procedure. It does not involve any reprogramming, recalibration, or resetting, as long as you initially attach a 12 VDC power source as I described and use the correct battery. Look up the actual Mercedes service bulletin to verify. The bulletin you read is either outdated or for another model. To make it even easier, there is a 5 minute YouTube video I just found that follows the Mercedes procedure exactly. Search for "Mercedes S550 Battery Replacement - The Battery Shop." One has to be careful with YouTube videos, as there is another one that shows the viewer how to replace the battery without using an external power source - that procedure does require the resetting of several settings when done. There are Mercedes mechanics who do not know this procedure and they will replace the battery and then have to readjust several items in the vehicle, such as the windows, sun roofs, seats, and other presets. It is also imperative that only AGM batteries with the same specs be used in W222s, as the vehicle's charging circuit is programmed only for this type of battery.

Regarding reconditioning AGM batteries, one cannot easily replace the electrolyte in AGM batteries because the electrolyte is in a “dry” or suspended state rather than in free liquid form, so it can't spill either. Reconditioning is accomplished using a special battery charger/reconditioner specifically made for AGM batteries. Not all lead acid batteries can be reconditioned for various reasons, but it is often worth a try.
Partly wrong. There is an electrical throughput counter in the front SAM which is supposed to be reset to zero, per MB, when the battery is replaced. This lets the car know it's a new battery so it uses the proper charging algorithm. What happens if you don't reset it? Probably nothing. Just more German engineering wizardry going on.