S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Parking Brake See Owner's Manual

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 S550
Parking Brake See Owner's Manual

I have a 2014 S550. 50,000 miles. Had the brakes changed today on all 4 wheels/tires. Had to change the two rear rotors, too. Everything was perfect. Brakes felt brand new.

I stopped to put in gas, hit the PARKING BRAKE, and got an error: BRAKE - PARKING BRAKE SEE OWNER'S MANUAL.

No doubt this came about because of the new brakes and rotors. Something must have been misadjusted or not put together back properly.

I did not have the brakes done at the dealer. They wanted way too much money. So went to a very reputable brake shop instead. I'll take the car back tomorrow, because it's too late right now. But I watched the mechanic change everything, and I didn't see anything out of place.

I'd love to get an idea of what's going on before I take it back. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this error? Faulty sensor? Actuator? New pads/rotors?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-03-2021, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 571 Likes on 391 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
There is a process you must follow to release the rear e brakes from the rotors before changing the pads. If this was not done it could be that the callipers are being tripped up by the thickness of the new pads. When you change the rear pads you have to go into the diagnostic and dis-engage the e brake electronically. When you are finished you re start the e brake. If they did not do this something is probably out of whack.
The following users liked this post:
HollywoodS550 (03-03-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 09:16 PM

2014 S550
Is the process outlined in the owner's manual? Or is it available somewhere else? I'd like to take it to the brake guy tomorrow.

Thanks for the information, Superpop!
Old 03-03-2021, 10:02 PM

2014 S550
Smile

**UPDATE** -- PROBLEM SOLVED!!

I was reading through some other threads of other Mercedes models with similar problems. I accessed the SERVICE MODE, then pressed BRAKE PAD REPLACE. Soon as I pressed it, I got another error about not being in the proper release position or something. I forgot the wording. I pressed the e-brake, released, pressed it, released it, several times. Turned the car on, off, on, off, also several times. I could hear the e-brake ACTUATOR kick in every time I pressed it, but it buzzed for longer than usual. After doing that a few times, I backed the car out of the garage, and noticed the BRAKE symbol on the center display was no longer flashing yellow and red. Now it was just static red, like normal. But the same error was still displayed on the center display. So I exited the error, backed up to normal display, turned the car off and on again, and everything was back to NORMAL, with the brakes and e-brake working PERFECTLY.

I drove the car around the block, and engaged the e-brake to make sure it really worked and would hold the car. It worked!

My thought on this is that the back and forth, on and off of activating the BRAKE PAD REPLACE command, plus the repeated on/off of the e-brake itself ADJUSTED the e-brake under the rotor until it re-aligned/tightened itself to the right position again.

Last edited by HollywoodS550; 03-03-2021 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Redundant (expressed same thought twice).