S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Whole Car Repaint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2024, 11:18 AM

Received 123 Likes on 73 Posts
Mercedes S560
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Ah, for the virtues of LIGHT colors that hide imperfections so incredibly well. Silvers, whites, etc. As a “glass half empty” type myself, dealing with darker colors that show every little thing is just too much trouble.

Lovely car!
Interesting about light vs dark - My last two MBs have been a '12 S class (Medium AMG Blue - gorgeous) sold to my son, and an '18 S560 (Emerald Green Metallic that looks black unless in bright sunshine) still running at 32,000 miles Neither has ever shown any paint problems at all - always washed commercially, no pampering whatsoever. Finishes still look high class to me.
Life seems strange from one set of experiences to another.

Last edited by Lou B; 06-15-2024 at 11:20 AM. Reason: add copy
Old 06-15-2024, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,707 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
The problem with dark colored cars is they show scratches and swirls much more easily than light colored cars. Our Pacifica is dark blue, as was the one before it, and they are washed commercially and in the bright sun, there are definitely swirls. On that vehicle that doesn't bug me, but on my personal vehicle it does...hence why I have had a lot of light colored cars over the years.

With that said, I am tired of light colored cars that don't pop when they are clean, so my next car will likely be dark colored. The tradeoff is I will have to wash it myself vs washing it commercially or I would have to have the entire car done in PPF. Cost of that is silly, so hand washing it will be. Luckily with modern rinseless wash options I can wash it without a hose in the garage.
Old 06-15-2024, 02:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,039 Likes on 1,421 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by AAY
Hi

I have a 2015 Mercedes-Benz S550 Color Code 890U/5890 and would like to repaint the whole vehicle. The paint is not in a bad condition but it has an orange peel and the two panels were repainted and I didn't like the job.

So I'm planning to have a professional workshop do the job for me, but I will supply the paint. According to my research, Spies Hecker and Glasurit are the OEM paint providers for the S-Class.

I Just want to get the best result matching or exceeding the OEM paint.

I would appreciate your help in the following:
  • Where can I purchase the paint?
  • Which type of paint should I get? I see "clear coat", "base coat", "waterbased" and I'm not familiar with those
  • What quantity would be required for the whole car?
Thank you in advance.
no response from OP - 2 posts to his name