B service non-sense

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2023, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,789 Likes on 1,786 Posts
2024 S580
Originally Posted by S_W222
When I had my former 15” W222, I still can’t forget how dump I was when I paid nearly 850 USD for oil change service (A or B, can’t recall) wherein all I needed was oil change. They charged 25 bucks to randomly change key fob batteries, too much labour for air filter and cabin filter, as well as 50 bucks or more for fuel stabilizer… combined all together with some other non-sense, it was close to 850 USD!.

Currently, with my new-to-me S560, I’ll plan on replacing all filters (engine filter and cabin), buy the fuel stabilizer myself, and other easy to do stuff myself in my garage, and let the dealer strictly do the oil change and engine oil filter only.

I don’t understand why most MBenz dealers add those non-sense stuff to their oil change service. I take all my BMWs to the BMW dealer and I let them do whatever they want during the 10K miles service, and the bill is always within 140-160 USD. Most Mbenz dealers I dealt with, unless I tell them no to do, they’d add a lot of non-sense services (like replacing the key fob batteries for $25!! That doesn’t even need to be replaced).
They pad all kinds of stuff. I really got taken for a ride when I did the first A service on mine, they added a side to side tire rotation (staggered tires) and replaced the magic vision wipers for $250, total bill was almost $1,000 for an A Service. I took it to a different dealer for the B service and the next A service and the service rep there was astonished how badly I had been taken for a ride.

I'm coming up on my 40k mile B service and I'm probably going to let my independent mechanic who did my brakes do it, I have to see what the cost difference is.
Old 06-18-2023, 04:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,650 Likes on 2,254 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
When I had my former 15” W222, I still can’t forget how dump I was when I paid nearly 850 USD for oil change service (A or B, can’t recall) wherein all I needed was oil change. They charged 25 bucks to randomly change key fob batteries, too much labour for air filter and cabin filter, as well as 50 bucks or more for fuel stabilizer… combined all together with some other non-sense, it was close to 850 USD!.

Currently, with my new-to-me S560, I’ll plan on replacing all filters (engine filter and cabin), buy the fuel stabilizer myself, and other easy to do stuff myself in my garage, and let the dealer strictly do the oil change and engine oil filter only.

I don’t understand why most MBenz dealers add those non-sense stuff to their oil change service. I take all my BMWs to the BMW dealer and I let them do whatever they want during the 10K miles service, and the bill is always within 140-160 USD. Most Mbenz dealers I dealt with, unless I tell them no to do, they’d add a lot of non-sense services (like replacing the key fob batteries for $25!! That doesn’t even need to be replaced).
I heard BMW has something call "Vehicle Check"? Is that similar to Service A and Service B of Mercedes. However, the "Vehicle Check" occurs every 3-4 years? Instead of Service A/B every other year for A then B then A etc. ?
Old 06-18-2023, 05:09 PM

Received 156 Likes on 132 Posts
S560/LS460/Q70L 5.6 AWD
Originally Posted by SW20S
They pad all kinds of stuff. I really got taken for a ride when I did the first A service on mine, they added a side to side tire rotation (staggered tires) and replaced the magic vision wipers for $250, total bill was almost $1,000 for an A Service. I took it to a different dealer for the B service and the next A service and the service rep there was astonished how badly I had been taken for a ride.

I'm coming up on my 40k mile B service and I'm probably going to let my independent mechanic who did my brakes do it, I have to see what the cost difference is.
Brake service before 40K.... what was that ?
Old 06-18-2023, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by tx170754
Brake service before 40K.... what was that ?
Yeah it needed new brakes front and rear at 30,000 miles
Old 06-18-2023, 09:48 PM

Received 115 Likes on 91 Posts
2016 S550e, 2005 Nissan Xterra 4x4, 1984 300ZX
I was looking at the bill I had for the A service which also included an AUX battery replacement and ended up nearly 1k even with a coupon. they flippin' charged me $14 for wiper flluid and $50 for checking fluid levels. Never again, I have an aftermarket warranty now but my Indy will get the next B service, he invested in an expensive computer tool and can reset the B service. Looking at the Autobahn Motors (redwood city, CA--Bay Area) website they want over $1,000 for a B service and it only shows that they will be doing oil change and "checking" other stuff...cannot believe that and they use Mobile 1 ,my indy uses Motul for his MB, Audio and BMW customers.

I sure did like the free loaner car and the fresh coffee but bye bye for service to them.
Old 06-18-2023, 09:51 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 SL500 // 2015 S550
Originally Posted by Jay04SL
Thank you, sounds exactly like my other vehicles I have done this for. Just wasn't sure if there was anything proprietary to the W222.
Completed this over the weekend. Came out great (literally). Was not too dirty but you can certainly tell the difference w new fluid. Can't even see the level in the master cylinder reservoir now without holding a light up to it. 49K miles and pretty sure it hasn't been done.
Old 06-19-2023, 03:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 714 Likes on 462 Posts
Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460

Yeah but why do they pad all this kind of stuff without even asking? I’ve dealt with nearly 4 different BMW dealers, every single one of them called me in advance to confirm the services being done, cost, and asked for my verbal approval. At Mbenz, they seem to have a habit of padding and adding services to pile up additional dollars to the bill. I hardly think it is a corporate thing, but it seems to be happening with everyone else to at Mbenz dealers.
Old 06-19-2023, 03:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Originally Posted by badq45t
I was looking at the bill I had for the A service which also included an AUX battery replacement and ended up nearly 1k even with a coupon. they flippin' charged me $14 for wiper flluid and $50 for checking fluid levels. Never again, I have an aftermarket warranty now but my Indy will get the next B service, he invested in an expensive computer tool and can reset the B service. Looking at the Autobahn Motors (redwood city, CA--Bay Area) website they want over $1,000 for a B service and it only shows that they will be doing oil change and "checking" other stuff...cannot believe that and they use Mobile 1 ,my indy uses Motul for his MB, Audio and BMW customers.

I sure did like the free loaner car and the fresh coffee but bye bye for service to them.
$50 for checking all fluids… hmmm. That’s just insane. At least what I’ve noticed isn’t an isolated dealer practice then.
Old 06-19-2023, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Yeah but why do they pad all this kind of stuff without even asking? I’ve dealt with nearly 4 different BMW dealers, every single one of them called me in advance to confirm the services being done, cost, and asked for my verbal approval. At Mbenz, they seem to have a habit of padding and adding services to pile up additional dollars to the bill. I hardly think it is a corporate thing, but it seems to be happening with everyone else to at Mbenz dealers.
Because thats how they make money. Thats not unique to MB dealers, car dealers have been adding stuff to factory maintenance forever. I was given a list of items at MB and a price and I agreed to it beforehand, I just was new to MB and didn't realize those things weren't part of the factory interval, in short...they took advantage of me but that was my fault because I didnt research what needed to be done beforehand.
Old 06-19-2023, 06:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Because thats how they make money. Thats not unique to MB dealers, car dealers have been adding stuff to factory maintenance forever. I was given a list of items at MB and a price and I agreed to it beforehand, I just was new to MB and didn't realize those things weren't part of the factory interval, in short...they took advantage of me but that was my fault because I didnt research what needed to be done beforehand.
It seems like they like to add (or suggest) Nitrogen Fill up, Fuel Cleaner, Fuel additives?
Old 06-19-2023, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
It seems like they like to add (or suggest) Nitrogen Fill up, Fuel Cleaner, Fuel additives?
Side to side tire rotations, wiper blades, those things, AC duct services, etc
Old 06-19-2023, 09:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Side to side tire rotations, wiper blades, those things, AC duct services, etc
Yup, sounds like you got them all.
Tire rotation is now part of service "B" depending on which dealership you go to I guess do they still use A and B?
Old 06-19-2023, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Yup, sounds like you got them all.
Tire rotation is now part of service "B" depending on which dealership you go to I guess do they still use A and B?
Tire rotation should be part of the service, but not when you have staggered tires. They charged me $100 to move my tires from one side of the car to the other which is just ridiculous. All MB dealers use A&B, its just the way MB service is designed.
Old 06-19-2023, 09:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Tire rotation should be part of the service, but not when you have staggered tires. They charged me $100 to move my tires from one side of the car to the other which is just ridiculous. All MB dealers use A&B, its just the way MB service is designed.
Ok agree that is ridiculous.

As for the A&B I heard some dealerships just called it 10,20,30,40,50K etc. mile service and no longer use A/B but that isn't true for many dealerships.
Old 06-20-2023, 05:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I was not given the chance to approve or authorize any of these additional items. What i authorized was service B as I recall (or A) in general, but apparently, their definition of service B/A is different from that in the manual. I read the manual before I took the car to the dealer and my “expectations” were that service B is defined the same way as the maintenance manual. I have to admit that partially it is my fault for not asking them to itemize exactly what they list under service B to spot any additional “dealer added” items, but I did not. I was not told about the cost beforehand, and when I saw the 800-900 USD total, I knew there was more behind it than just engine oil, filter and the engine air filter. I would have certainly declined the key-fob batteries replacement, fluid re-fill, and fuel stabilizer and the like. At 4 different BMW dealers, 4 different states: fluid re-fills are free, and they never added anything beyond the maintenance manual. I think my point is, for new MBenz members “ask and read in detail what you’re being offered and what you are paying for” during 10K miles / annual service. Can’t blame the dealer, but wish they follow the BMW approach (at least those I tried).
Old 06-20-2023, 07:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

I was not given the chance to approve or authorize any of these additional items. What i authorized was service B as I recall (or A) in general, but apparently, their definition of service B/A is different from that in the manual. I read the manual before I took the car to the dealer and my “expectations” were that service B is defined the same way as the maintenance manual. I have to admit that partially it is my fault for not asking them to itemize exactly what they list under service B to spot any additional “dealer added” items, but I did not. I was not told about the cost beforehand, and when I saw the 800-900 USD total, I knew there was more behind it than just engine oil, filter and the engine air filter. I would have certainly declined the key-fob batteries replacement, fluid re-fill, and fuel stabilizer and the like. At 4 different BMW dealers, 4 different states: fluid re-fills are free, and they never added anything beyond the maintenance manual. I think my point is, for new MBenz members “ask and read in detail what you’re being offered and what you are paying for” during 10K miles / annual service. Can’t blame the dealer, but wish they follow the BMW approach (at least those I tried).
Fuel stabilizer. that is just... not necessary unless it is a garage queen.
Old 06-20-2023, 11:20 AM

Received 156 Likes on 132 Posts
S560/LS460/Q70L 5.6 AWD
At every service interval I tell the dealer what I need while making the appointment, it is usually the oil change, maybe the air and cab filters, brake fluid and that is about it. If I need a tire rotation it can be done to any tire installers where I live.
They do a "complete" check of the car but, since I don't keep my cars too long, the mileage doesn't justify any " extras "
Key fob batteries, fuel stabilizer, "fluids" re-fill, etc is total BS.....
Old 06-20-2023, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Ok agree that is ridiculous.

As for the A&B I heard some dealerships just called it 10,20,30,40,50K etc. mile service and no longer use A/B but that isn't true for many dealerships.
I haven't seen any MB dealers doing that, but in Lexus world where I came from the services were broken out like that. Lexus dealers added craopas well.

So they didn't give you a price for the service before they completed the service? Dealers definition of what is an A or B service often includes more stuff than the factory recommends, thats all dealers and all models, but they should quote you a price upfront. In my situation they quoted a price upfront and I agreed, but I didn't know they were padding that price with stuff that was above and beyond. They told me "$750" for the A service, but that included $250 for wipers and $100 for rotating the tires side to side, so the price for what the factory says the A service should be in reality would have been $400.

You should ALWAYS ask what is being done and make sure its just what the factory recommends.
Old 06-20-2023, 01:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

I haven't seen any MB dealers doing that, but in Lexus world where I came from the services were broken out like that. Lexus dealers added craopas well.

So they didn't give you a price for the service before they completed the service? Dealers definition of what is an A or B service often includes more stuff than the factory recommends, thats all dealers and all models, but they should quote you a price upfront. In my situation they quoted a price upfront and I agreed, but I didn't know they were padding that price with stuff that was above and beyond. They told me "$750" for the A service, but that included $250 for wipers and $100 for rotating the tires side to side, so the price for what the factory says the A service should be in reality would have been $400.

You should ALWAYS ask what is being done and make sure its just what the factory recommends.
I could had sworn I read a thread on people sharing similar experiences of dealerships dropping the A/B model but I couldn't find the thread anymore.
Old 06-20-2023, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It could be partially my fault, but yes, they did not share the cost in advance. When I took my former W222 for the first 10K service, I assumed it’d be similar to all other BMW vehicles and services I did, and I just dropped in the keys and didn’t ask for details besides asking for Service B. When I returned, I was first shocked that the total was $850, I reviewed the service they did, paid, and left realizing I screwed up.
I had a 2008 GL in the past and a 2003 S-class, but never had to deal with similar non-sense added items (NC state at that time). I’ve mainly owned BMWs in the last few years since then, then my W222 was my first MBenz after switching/owning a few BMWs. Obviously things have changed at MBenz dealers nowadays. Lesson learned, not a big deal, now I specifically ask for an itemized list in advance.