S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

2018 S560 Turbo Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 07:43 PM

Received 204 Likes on 167 Posts
2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup
Extended warranties are for people who bet against themselves.
Like insurance, right?
The following 2 users liked this post by as.thompson:
aypues (05-12-2021), DaveW68 (05-12-2021)
Old 05-12-2021, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 196 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by DaveW68
It's got champaign flutes, reclining seats, and a leg rest for the right rear passenger!

Yes....2 reclining seat as you quoted me as saying. I have 2 reclining seats in the back of my lowly S550 too. But I do not have the executive right rear passenger leg rest like hers since my car didn't come with that package. What's your point, fanboy?
Um.... She had 2 Leg Rests not one....
Old 05-12-2021, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 364 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by Nice Ride
Um.... She had 2 Leg Rests not one....
Um....Nope.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:51 PM

Received 540 Likes on 297 Posts
18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
The Maybach has two leg rests in the back one for each seat both identical. Additionally there is a footrest that comes out of the rear of the passenger seat.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 345 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
Originally Posted by 780Benz
Hello

I have a 2018 S560 with 26,000 miles ( 42,000 Km). In mid Jan of 2021 I discovered an oil leak from the engine. Dealer discovered the turbo oil feed lines were leaking and replaced them under warranty. Getting the parts from Germany took about two months and then the repair took a few days so my car was fixed and returned to me for April of 2021.

This really crushed my trust in the car and I am now worried that it may fail again and take months to get parts and fix. I am out of warranty Dec 2021. The thing is I don't drive this car in summer only winter so I may not have a good chance to get any miles on it to see if it is good or not before warranty ends.

Any advice on keeping the car after warranty expires?
Any thoughts on buying extended warranty $7700 for three years is what the dealer is offering. For that much money I can repair a lot.

I still enjoy the car but need it to be reliable in winter, or should I trade it in. Dealer says this turbo oil leak is super rare, when they fixed the car they removed both turbos and intake.

Looking for your thoughts.

Thanks

Jarred
Cars get repaired all the time, fear not. What you experienced is not prevalent on the forums. I'd enjoy the car and if you decide to keep it then weigh the cost of an extended warranty vs expected costs. Some 3rd party plans are very attractive but just remember that like all insurance you are betting against the house and the house usually wins.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,019 Likes on 741 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by emilner
Cars get repaired all the time, fear not. What you experienced is not prevalent on the forums. I'd enjoy the car and if you decide to keep it then weigh the cost of an extended warranty vs expected costs. Some 3rd party plans are very attractive but just remember that like all insurance you are betting against the house and the house usually wins.
This
The following 2 users liked this post by MBNUT1:
emilner (05-13-2021), ihbond (05-13-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
With most Japanese cars....this is absolutely true. With German cars, the house odds decrease considerably. The only time the house came out ahead on one of my German cars was on my GL550. But I came out ahead on my E60 M5 in just 18 months of ownership and I came out ahead huge on my S600 as documented on the thread cited on this thread. As long as people take the time to fully read and comprehend the policies and negotiate a decent price on the one they find to be the best and most comprehensive policy, they'll be in good shape and won't get soaked. And by all means, consult your favorite service advisors at the dealership and any indy you feel comfortable with before pulling the trigger on a policy to see what their experience has been in dealing with those companies.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 345 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
With most Japanese cars....this is absolutely true. With German cars, the house odds decrease considerably. The only time the house came out ahead on one of my German cars was on my GL550. But I came out ahead on my E60 M5 in just 18 months of ownership and I came out ahead huge on my S600 as documented on the thread cited on this thread. As long as people take the time to fully read and comprehend the policies and negotiate a decent price on the one they find to be the best and most comprehensive policy, they'll be in good shape and won't get soaked. And by all means, consult your favorite service advisors at the dealership and any indy you feel comfortable with before pulling the trigger on a policy to see what their experience has been in dealing with those companies.
Statistics say that if German cars fail that much more and cost that much more to repair, then German car policies will cost that much more. Insurance companies are not stupid- If you smoke then life insurance will cost more, If you crash your car annually then car insurance will cost more, if German cars cost 2X over Japanese cars to repair annually then policies will cost more. Just because an Internet forum has people who came out ahead doesn't mean insurance companies take a bath insuring German cars. This isn't magical finance, obviously insurance companies make money insuring German cars, so yes, statistically speaking the house will win more often than not...
The following users liked this post:
MBNUT1 (05-13-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 09:29 AM

18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
I suspect there are people here that if faced with the situation of needing a SynCardia artificial heart installed they would seek out an extended warranty for costly repairs in case it were to stop working........... Probably the same sort of person that would look for insurance to repair their house if a nuclear bomb detonated on it with them in it.

Never can be too careful or practical of course.

Last edited by Katie22; 05-13-2021 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by Katie22
I suspect there are people here that if faced with the situation of needing a SynCardia artificial heart installed they would seek out an extended warranty for costly repairs in case it were to stop working........... Probably the same sort of person that would look for insurance to repair their house if a nuclear bomb detonated on it with them in it.

Never can be too careful or practical of course.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Statistics say that if German cars fail that much more and cost that much more to repair, then German car policies will cost that much more. Insurance companies are not stupid- If you smoke then life insurance will cost more, If you crash your car annually then car insurance will cost more, if German cars cost 2X over Japanese cars to repair annually then policies will cost more. Just because an Internet forum has people who came out ahead doesn't mean insurance companies take a bath insuring German cars. This isn't magical finance, obviously insurance companies make money insuring German cars, so yes, statistically speaking the house will win more often than not...
I understand risk/cost analysis. And I understand that insurance companies are in it to make a profit. But I also understand that profit is based on the overall risk of the entire pool of insured clientele. Japanese and American car makers sell wayyyy more cars than the Germans. So it stands to reason that the vast majority of policies held by the carriers are going to be for those makes, which generally have much less complicated and less expensive parts in them to repair when there are failures. German cars make up a small percentage of cars held in these plans. So companies can offer policies on them that allow higher risk at potentially less profit to make the terms of purchase attractive enough to where a consumer might consider them and so they can show that they insure a wide variety of makes and models. There are some companies that mostly insure high end cars, but the cost of those plans are extremely expensive and would scare away most consumers from purchasing them due to extraordinary costs. But there might not be any other options for say a Porsche owner, so they may still choose that type of plan. So when seeking after-market coverage, it's best to shop companies that are huge, have been around for several years, are backed by a major insurance company, and cover almost all makes. This will help you get the best price on a car like an S-class. When it comes to these cars, it is always the smartest move to go right to the exclusionary plans as named component plans, which aren't that much less expensive, don't cover many of the items that are most prone to failure. Named component policies are what most dealers push, so the likelihood of failures being covered are much lower. I think these are the kinds of plans where most consumers who complain to the BBB about companies not covering their repairs because they never took the time to find out exactly what is and is not covered.

My current plan is exclusionary and I read it from cover to cover so I knew exactly what all of the exclusions were. Being that I've had expensive failures that were covered by my previous plans on my M5 and S600, I knew it would be worthwhile to have coverage if I could find a plan that covered everything I wanted and at a cost that I felt was reasonable. So I purchased an exclusionary plan (I wouldn't get any other kind) that covers the car for 7 years and 100k miles with a $100 deductible. The company wanted $5500 for the plan and I negotiated the cost down to $4100. But before I pulled the trigger, I spoke with my favorite 2 service advisors to see how they were to deal with. If they would have given them a thumbs down, I would have looked further into other companies. In just the first 2 months of ownership of the car, the plan paid out a claim that was more than half of the cost of the plan. Every claim I have will be covered up to the full retail value of the car. Plus the plan is transferable to the next owner if the car is sold by private sale, which adds a ton of value to the sale.

The problem I see and which the woman in this thread likes to harp on is that most consumers are lazy and don't do their homework before buying one of the plans that dealers offer. Or they don't shop around for plans that offer the most value at the lowest cost. They just pick a plan without knowing what is covered and pay whatever the dealer wants to sell them the plan for. This is probably where somebody like Dave Ramsey would chide those people as being stupid and lazy, and what the woman in this thread must think that all consumers are who purchase coverage. I'd be apt to agree with her if I assumed that every consumer is not like me. But I know that there are others who do the same kind of research that I do and take the same approach to purchasing products.

Last edited by DaveW68; 05-13-2021 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:42 PM

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts
S550
Boy was this thread fun to read...
Old 05-13-2021, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 196 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Cool

Originally Posted by Sean._.S
Boy was this thread fun to read...
I keep checking for apologies from some humans to other humans if they ran a red light....

Anyone need any Refills or Popcorn...

Last edited by Nice Ride; 05-13-2021 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
I understand risk/cost analysis. And I understand that insurance companies are in it to make a profit. But I also understand that profit is based on the overall risk of the entire pool of insured clientele. Japanese and American car makers sell wayyyy more cars than the Germans. So it stands to reason that the vast majority of policies held by the carriers are going to be for those makes, which generally have much less complicated and less expensive parts in them to repair when there are failures. German cars make up a small percentage of cars held in these plans. So companies can offer policies on them that allow higher risk at potentially less profit to make the terms of purchase attractive enough to where a consumer might consider them and so they can show that they insure a wide variety of makes and models. There are some companies that mostly insure high end cars, but the cost of those plans are extremely expensive and would scare away most consumers from purchasing them due to extraordinary costs. But there might not be any other options for say a Porsche owner, so they may still choose that type of plan. So when seeking after-market coverage, it's best to shop companies that are huge, have been around for several years, are backed by a major insurance company, and cover almost all makes. This will help you get the best price on a car like an S-class. When it comes to these cars, it is always the smartest move to go right to the exclusionary plans as named component plans, which aren't that much less expensive, don't cover many of the items that are most prone to failure. Named component policies are what most dealers push, so the likelihood of failures being covered are much lower. I think these are the kinds of plans where most consumers who complain to the BBB about companies not covering their repairs because they never took the time to find out exactly what is and is not covered.

My current plan is exclusionary and I read it from cover to cover so I knew exactly what all of the exclusions were. Being that I've had expensive failures that were covered by my previous plans on my M5 and S600, I knew it would be worthwhile to have coverage if I could find a plan that covered everything I wanted and at a cost that I felt was reasonable. So I purchased an exclusionary plan (I wouldn't get any other kind) that covers the car for 7 years and 100k miles with a $100 deductible. The company wanted $5500 for the plan and I negotiated the cost down to $4100. But before I pulled the trigger, I spoke with my favorite 2 service advisors to see how they were to deal with. If they would have given them a thumbs down, I would have looked further into other companies. In just the first 2 months of ownership of the car, the plan paid out a claim that was more than half of the cost of the plan. Every claim I have will be covered up to the full retail value of the car. Plus the plan is transferable to the next owner if the car is sold by private sale, which adds a ton of value to the sale.

The problem I see and which the woman in this thread likes to harp on is that most consumers are lazy and don't do their homework before buying one of the plans that dealers offer. Or they don't shop around for plans that offer the most value at the lowest cost. They just pick a plan without knowing what is covered and pay whatever the dealer wants to sell them the plan for. This is probably where somebody like Dave Ramsey would chide those people as being stupid and lazy, and what the woman in this thread must think that all consumers are who purchase coverage. I'd be apt to agree with her if I assumed that every consumer is not like me. But I know that there are others who do the same kind of research that I do and take the same approach to purchasing products.
$4100 for 7 years coverage isn't a bad deal. What company is that with?
Old 05-13-2021, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
$4100 for 7 years coverage isn't a bad deal. What company is that with?
Endurance.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by Nice Ride
I keep checking for apologies from some humans to other humans if they ran a red light....

Anyone need any Refills or Popcorn...
Yeah....I'm still waiting too. Probably not gonna happen because some folks will never admit when they're wrong.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Endurance.
Are they the same company that you used for your S600?
Old 05-13-2021, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Are they the same company that you used for your S600?
It's not. The warranty I had on my S600 was purchased through my former credit union. I had called them about a warranty on this car and they no longer offered it through the same company and the prices had gone up dramatically.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:54 AM

I decided to take a trip to Endurance. It takes some effort to root out the declaration pages since they clearly dont want you to see this easily. I quickly scanned through it and discovered a paragraph about limits. http://www.endurancewarranty.com/wp-...ge-premier.pdf

LIMIT OF LIABILITY: Our maximum limit of liability per covered Vehicle for all claims paid or payable during the term of this contract shall not exceed the lesser of a total dollar amount of Twelve Thousand Five Hundred ($12,500.00) or the actual cash value (ACV) of the Vehicle determined by the NADA average trade-in value at the time of repair. Once the combined maximum limit of liability has been reached, as defined above, this contract, its transfer and cancellation rights terminate. Our liability for incidental and consequential damages including, but not limited to, personal injury,

So how many thousands of dollars is a (sucker) I mean person paying for a policy that at its max pays 12,500 but did you notice they will check the current value of you car and if its say worth $7000 dollars by NADA standards then that is the MAX they will pay before cancelling the policy. To me this is insidious since the older/increased miles a car gets the more likely it will need repairs and also its value decreases. Since the NADA value decreases the warranty company likely is reducing its limit of liability as the policy holders car gets older and more likely to need repairs.

If you click on the link you can also scroll down and check out the exclusions, here is where if your at all technical you can begin to realize how these companies find ways to get out of paying for claims. There is TONS of exclusions. Also notice all the hoops that the owner has to follow just to file a claim. They might as well have the policy adjuster follow them around 24/7 365 for the entire life of the policy because one little failure to follow the directions and the policy provider can deny coverage.

Now on a bit more personal level since I have a V12 Mercedes. Someone here has suggested that the Mercedes V12 engine lacks reliability (based on his experience owning a car in the 2000s) and cites his belief that no extended warranty company will cover a V12 car as evidence of poor reliability. Well when an extended warranty company limits their policy to $12,500 dollars max payout it is reasonable they will not insure a car with an engine that exceeds that cost to replace by a substantial margin. I would suggest that the person is totally incorrect about his assertions about reliability in reference to the V12 engine.

Last edited by Katie22; 05-14-2021 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Oh woman, woman, woman. That is not the same policy I have through Endurance. And if you doubt it, I'll put pink slip against pink slip (my S550 vs your S600). Or to make it a little more friendly, $4100 to reimburse me the cost of the warranty. Nah...I'd probably just settle for a public apology here on this forum and you to finally admit that I've told the truth the entire time about warranty plans/service contracts. You agree and I'll publish my entire contract. Deal?
Old 05-14-2021, 08:45 AM

Came rite from the Endurance website. Who does someone trust? The website of Endurance or a person who suggested another poster here to replace their car battery for 1000 dollars when all it took was two dollars to solve thier problem. Or the person who read a carfax and took it as 100% true when any reasonable person might ask a question and do a little research to determine if that is accurate. Or the person that said the V12 engine had all these problems in 2016 without even knowing that the engine they recall having problems had been changed so much that the manufacturer calls it a new engine for 2016. Or the person that feels they need some sort of apology for sprouting out inaccurate information and cant get over the fact that a girl is showing the rest of the posters his is full of crap.

Sir there is NOTHING you can say to me that would convince me your telling the truth or even know what your talking about.

Katie

Last edited by Katie22; 05-14-2021 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
BTW....just looked at the sample policy you published. That was a powertrain policy sold through Endurance Dealer Services. I wouldn't pay any money for that crappy policy. It's so weak, that the only way I'd take it is if it were thrown in for free. If all after-market warranty policies read like that one, then I'd 100% agree with you that they are a ripoff. But not all policies are the same, young lady.

Get off your high horse about batteries. I already told you a couple of time that I paid $500 to have BOTH batteries replaced, including labor, and the range in the remote for rolling down the windows went from inches to several feet. You are so incredibly desperate to try to discredit me that you are making yourself look bad.....VERY bad. And that doesn't bode well for your fan club on this board.

So it looks like you won't accept the terms I laid out. BIG surprise! (all sarcasm intended)

Last edited by DaveW68; 05-14-2021 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:53 AM

Age and gender seems to be a big thing with you as if it has something to do with a person in a forum. That is another issue that a few people have pointed out to you more than once. Kind of creepy.

PS there is no high horse its simply the fact that your incompetent, you say things that are not even close to being accurate, and your full of crap. Call me what you want but it does not change these facts.

Last edited by Katie22; 05-14-2021 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by Katie22
Age and gender seems to be a big thing with you as if it has something to do with a person in a forum. That is another issue that a few people have pointed out to you more than once. Kind of creepy.
Oh woman, you were the one who complained about me using your name on this forum. And you complained to a moderator about me mentioning your name. It's almost hard to believe how desperate you are. Sorry that I'm not a member of your fanboy club. And I apologize if a made a mistake about calling you young or a lady. My bad.

BTW, I admit to making an error in the cost of the policy I purchased through Endurance. I just looked it up and it was actually $4224, not $4100. But they did finance it for free for 3 years. I apologize for the discrepancy. See how easy that was?

Last edited by DaveW68; 05-14-2021 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:06 AM

Stuff it Dave. Like Hyperon said it is time for you to STFU. The rest of the readers didnt get to see that because you got your posts deleted for attacking me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2018 S560 Turbo Oil Leak