Sirius traffic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 364 Posts
2015 S550
Sirius traffic?

Does anybody here use Sirius Traffic? If so, how does it compare to apps like Waze for live updating of routes, cars on the side of the road, police, etc?

Just wondering if this is something worth adding to my Sirius subscription.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:10 PM

Received 204 Likes on 167 Posts
2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
Originally Posted by DaveW68
Does anybody here use Sirius Traffic? If so, how does it compare to apps like Waze for live updating of routes, cars on the side of the road, police, etc?
Just wondering if this is something worth adding to my Sirius subscription.
I use it but it doesn't compare with Waze. It's convenient because it is integrated with my '16 S550 coupe's Nav. But it only shows traffic on major roads and none of the other stuff like police, break downs, etc.
The following users liked this post:
Nice Ride (05-13-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,890 Likes on 2,602 Posts
2019 C63CS
I had Sirius Traffic in my previous car. It was ok in my area, but it's nothing like Waze. It's purely traffic flow and incident data from official sources in your area such as road sensors, SIG alerts etc. for major roads. Highways, Interstates and some major arteries. Traffic updates are generally about 20 minutes delayed, because that's how the data percolates through the system. Road sensors only report in about 20 minute intervals. Waze, Google Maps etc. get a lot of their data from crowdsourcing it. Others driving around with their phones will collect traffic flow data. Newer live traffic systems that Mercedes uses in the newer model years also crowdsources from other Mercedes cars etc. on the road. More and more cars on the road use HERE Traffic including Mercedes and crowdsources as you drive along, so the traffic data is much better. Police reports etc. so far is only something that smartphone apps offer as it requires active participation by users. In my area Waze alerts are horribly outdated for example. Police reports are mostly where police used to be and not where they actually are. I've uninstalled Waze a long time ago.
The following users liked this post:
DaveW68 (05-14-2021)