2015 s550 purchase decision

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 BMW 650i
2015 s550 purchase decision

Hey guys!

Looking in trading my current car (2016 BMW 650I Grand Coupe). Stopped by a local MB dealer and the had a 2015 s550 fully loaded (amg package, rear entertainment, rear recliner, vented seats all around etc) car looks mint in and out and would basically be a direct swap) . They will only do a 4 month 4000 miles local dealership warranty. Car currently has 68k miles and they will do the 70k maintenance if we do the deal. My current BMW has 16k miles, have it since new with 0 issues and I know I will have 0 issues in the future as its my 3rd car that I drive a couple times a week.

My question, is it worth the swap? How reliable is the 1st gen s550? Any major/known issues?

Thank you everyone!
Old 05-19-2021, 09:43 PM
SPONSOR

Received 250 Likes on 192 Posts
2001 E55AMG
Originally Posted by Miamijo
Hey guys!

Looking in trading my current car (2016 BMW 650I Grand Coupe). Stopped by a local MB dealer and the had a 2015 s550 fully loaded (amg package, rear entertainment, rear recliner, vented seats all around etc) car looks mint in and out and would basically be a direct swap) . They will only do a 4 month 4000 miles local dealership warranty. Car currently has 68k miles and they will do the 70k maintenance if we do the deal. My current BMW has 16k miles, have it since new with 0 issues and I know I will have 0 issues in the future as its my 3rd car that I drive a couple times a week.

My question, is it worth the swap? How reliable is the 1st gen s550? Any major/known issues?

Thank you everyone!
As far as a warranty goes, I can provide a free Freedom Warranty quote for the Mercedes-Benz that is accepted by all Mercedes-Benz dealers in North America. 5yrs / 100,000 miles and transferable with the sale of the vehicle, for more information you can text me at (602) 909-9216 or send me an email at tgibson@highline-autos.com
Old 05-20-2021, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 364 Posts
2015 S550
As with any used German car, if you do this, you'll probably want a warranty if you can buy a good one for say....under $5k, especially being 6 years old at that starting mileage. But you should not even consider anything other than an exclusionary policy. Named component or powertrain policies likely wouldn't cover the things that are most likely to break on these cars. Check out this thread....and ignore the garbage spewed by the "know-it-all" woman in the thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...orthwhile.html

IMO, you'd be better off spending an extra $3-5k and buy one with less than 40k miles. There are plenty of them available, but you may need to go a little further to get one. Warranties will also be significantly less expensive with the lower starting miles.
The following users liked this post:
Quenthel (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 01:08 PM

Received 204 Likes on 167 Posts
2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
Originally Posted by DaveW68
As with any used German car, if you do this, you'll probably want a warranty if you can buy a good one for say....under $5k, especially being 6 years old at that starting mileage. But you should not even consider anything other than an exclusionary policy. Named component or powertrain policies likely wouldn't cover the things that are most likely to break on these cars. Check out this thread....and ignore the garbage spewed by the "know-it-all" woman in the thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...orthwhile.html
IMO, you'd be better off spending an extra $3-5k and buy one with less than 40k miles. There are plenty of them available, but you may need to go a little further to get one. Warranties will also be significantly less expensive with the lower starting miles.
This issue of Warranties keeps surfacing with strong opinions on both sides of the discussion. (Actually "discussion" may not be a correct description as it has often turned into something stronger than that.)
I am probably the target of both sides of that debate as I bought an extended warranty for one of my cars and didn't buy an extended warranty for the other.
I'm further a target in another of the on-going debates here since one of my cars has 20 inch wheels with run flat tires and one has 18 inch wheel with non-run flat tires!
So I'm on the losing side from both sides of these arguments.
The following users liked this post:
DaveW68 (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 01:23 PM
SPONSOR

Received 250 Likes on 192 Posts
2001 E55AMG
Originally Posted by DaveW68

All good advice here, yes exclusionary policies are the way to go, our's are, but the only things that are excluded are your typical wear/maintenance items, and whatever cosmetically that is covered by your insurance provider. Make sure whatever company you go with is accepted by your local Mercedes-Benz dealer, if you're paying for an extended warranty, you're going to want to make the work done is worth it. Freedom Warranty is accepted by every Mercedes-Benz dealer in North America. While low miles sure do help your price of an extended warranty, the age of the car plays just as equal, if not more of a factor. text me at (602) 909-9216 or email tgibson@highline-autos.com for a free quote and example contract.