S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Correct oil level

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 12:10 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 S550 Executive, 2017 Volvo XC60 R design, 2009 BMW Z4 35i DCT TwinTurbo
Correct oil level

So, just did my first oil change on my 15 S550. Before change, when checking dip stick cold the oil covered the center section of the red plastic to the Max mark. I was able to pump out 6 quarts. Filled back in with 6 quarts and ran the engine for 15 min. then checked the level which didn't quite come up to the max mark so I added additional 1/2 quart. Now this morning I checked the level COLD and it's above MAX and covers the red plastic completely. Checked again after running around town and letting it sit for 15 min. and the level is still covering the plastic. Is this OK or should I remove a half quart?
Old 06-02-2021, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 364 Posts
2015 S550
The S550 takes just shy of 10 quarts of oil. If you only pumped out 6, then you didn't get the tube all the way down the dipstick hole.
Old 06-02-2021, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 196 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by Eddot
So, just did my first oil change on my 15 S550. Before change, when checking dip stick cold the oil covered the center section of the red plastic to the Max mark. I was able to pump out 6 quarts. Filled back in with 6 quarts and ran the engine for 15 min. then checked the level which didn't quite come up to the max mark so I added additional 1/2 quart. Now this morning I checked the level COLD and it's above MAX and covers the red plastic completely. Checked again after running around town and letting it sit for 15 min. and the level is still covering the plastic. Is this OK or should I remove a half quart?
Personally I would drain from the plug. My 14 takes 9 Quarts Total including new filter and draining completely from plug. That 9 Quarts brings it to the top of the Hatch marks cold and does not go much higher when warm. Also, make sure you remove and Clean the stick before testing. The vacuum the engine creates in the Dip Stick tube will suck the oil so low, it is possible at times you will see no reading on the stick and scare the hell out of you. Always remove, wipe, insert and test. Make sure also you are on level ground and wait at least 5 minutes before testing so the oil has a chance to drain back down out of the filter and oil bays...
Old 06-02-2021, 07:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2003 S430
Also remember that if you overfill the sump the oil will foam up during operation and register at the high point of the stick. If you suspect an overfill situation, let everything cool off, and only then will you have an accurate reading.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:04 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 S550 Executive, 2017 Volvo XC60 R design, 2009 BMW Z4 35i DCT TwinTurbo
First, thanks for the input. My owners manual shows 8.5 quarts including filter. My vac tube did go in further than the dip stick measured and felt like it hit bottom. Thats why I only replaced the 6 quarts I pumped out. I know when you initially remove the dip stick, it's dry and you clean it and replace it then remove for an accurate measure. As I stated, my level is to the top of the red plastic and wondering if it's OK to leave at that level.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 196 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by Eddot
First, thanks for the input. My owners manual shows 8.5 quarts including filter. My vac tube did go in further than the dip stick measured and felt like it hit bottom. Thats why I only replaced the 6 quarts I pumped out. I know when you initially remove the dip stick, it's dry and you clean it and replace it then remove for an accurate measure. As I stated, my level is to the top of the red plastic and wondering if it's OK to leave at that level.
I would say it is safe to leave it at the level on the Dip Stick as long as it is at least 1/2 way within the Hatch Area. When you inserted the hose, it possibly hit the bottom of the pan and turned up instead of staying at the bottom or for what ever reason, never made it to the bottom. You left a lot of old dirty oil in the engine.

What you should do next time is take an extra step. Follow your same method of extraction, then remove drain plug and see how much you are off by. Based on your findings, you will have your answer to continue with extraction method or go with the old drain plug. It is easy to remove the bottom plastic shield to get to the Drain Plug. I believe 8 small screws. It will also allow you to check under the engine for any leaks that may not be visible with the plastic shield installed.

Good Luck!