S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Drive train vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,650 Likes on 1,704 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
I haven't heard any cases on the forum of the axle components failing, but that does make logical sense.

I'm under warranty so we will see what the dealer says, will keep everybody posted.
Old 02-27-2023, 10:54 PM

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Presently 19 S560 SEDAN, 2014 XK, SOLD GLE 450e
I had a front drive shaft let go on a S560 Coupe about 1000 miles from home. That drive shaft flopped around causing major damage and in convienience for me, but was repaired fully by MB warranty. No money involved on my part at all other than transportaton on a flatbed back home.

Had two differnt CL550 Coupes (another name for S550 Coupe, before they started renaming things), that the engine mounts had to be replaced because of vibration at idle. Cured the vibration.

Have a S560 Sedan that the left rear wheel was bent causing vibration from Ft Worth to Rohnert Park, Ca and back. New rim fixed that. Old rim not worth trying to repair. Car now runs very well again.
Old 03-14-2023, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 599 Likes on 394 Posts
Last 5 years: S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:15'S550, 20'BMW X7; 19'BMW 530e; 20'Lincoln Navigator,LS460
I posted this on the other thread, but also wanted to paste it here for awareness and increased exposure.

I wanted to reflect back on the issue that a forum member above had noticed (impact of Auto Stop/Start) which he referred to as the eco or E mode button, on removal of the vibration he had been seeing in his vehicle at low speed and low RPM with very light acceleration.
The fact he reported it goes away when the Engine Auto Stop/Start is deactivated first did not make sense as that has nothing with the vehicle operation when it is moving. However I came accros this article and I think one now could tell what was the reason for the vibration that him and few others are having at least based on the reaction to the Engine Auto Stop/Start: It must be the cylinder deactivation operation which is causing all that. You can simply deactivate cylinder deactivation operation by turning off the engine Auto stop/go button, which again explains really why the vibration goes away.

Note that the vibration during cylinder deactivation is kinda normal and 90% of people would not even notice it. It is nearly impossible to maintain a large V8 engine operation as smooth as it would with half of the cylinders off and rest is on. Mbenz does really well in hiding that, but some folks can feel it if they drive on a really smooth road, and perhaps in some small % of vehicles it is a a bit higher.

Anyway the solution is simply to deactivate the Auto Stop/Start so that Cylinder Deactivation also does not* work when vehicle is running at slow speeds and low RPMs (see the facts below). (By the way. does anyone also know if cylinder deactivation is also active with car is idle?)

ZAS “Cylinder deactivation” possible if:
• ECO start-stop system active, not deactivated via the Start / Stop key “—> so this means, if you turn it off, ZAS will be of too!” wierd connection between the two.
• Coolant temperature> 46 ℃ depending on the surrounding temperature and
requests for heating the cabin
• Comfort or ECO driving program from 2nd gear
• Vehicle speed> 18 km / h at engine speed <1600 rpm ("DCT")
• Vehicle speed> 45 km / h depending on the comfort request ("NVH")
• Catalyst temperature> 320 ℃
• Intake air temperature> -30 ℃
• Battery voltage> 10 V
ZAS not possible if:
• Coolant temperature> 110 ℃
• Sport, Manual driving modes, and during manual gear shifting
• Vehicle speed> 170 km / h or engine speed> 3800 rpm