S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Android auto doesnt like mayor routes from Google Maps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 02:28 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
W222 400D 4-matic
Android auto doesnt like mayor routes from Google Maps

If long routes are entered in Google Maps in AA, the system often looses its mind. The arrow symbolizing the car in routes changes its heading randomly. Also sometimes the image freezes, or turnes ive taken dont correspond withe map displayed, its shows the car heading down the road when i've took a turn.
Only when entering routes of lets say 100+km it does this. If i shorten the same route to say 50km the problems dont occur. Leaving Maps is a nightmare then, the system only very slowly reacts on comands to lets say start Spotify or canceling the Maps navigation with X. I checked Mercedes-Me but the APP doesnt say it has updates on hold. Has anyone else experienced something simmilar like this? Could it be a AA on my phone causing this or the Comand itself?
Old 11-11-2021, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,992 Likes on 2,663 Posts
2019 C63CS
Google "android auto buggy" and you'll find plenty to read. It's likely your phone/AA/Google Maps etc. being buggy. Not to mention the fragmentation of Android and all its different versions that are still in use, and many phones not getting updated to the latest version. Now as far as the heading changing randomly or maps not getting your current location correctly that can also be caused by GPS interference or the GPS signal bouncing off of nearby buildings. The car's Infotainment system can supply the phone with its own GPS signal to augment the accuracy of the phone GPS, especially when the phone is stashed away and doesn't have line of sight to the satellites, but as far as I know in Android Auto this is optional. Not all phones use the GPS signal available from the car. Especially in downtown areas or large cities, Google Maps may not work well. Here in San Francisco for example it's a crapshoot in the downtown area. It often loses its mind not having a clue where I am. I'm using Apple CarPlay which generally is viewed as working better and more reliably, but the GPS signal issue is just that. This is one reason why I primarily use the built-in navigation system. The car's own navigation system works much better if the GPS signal is flaky or drops out, because it then uses other sensors in the car such as the ABS speed sensors, steering angle etc. to approximate the current position based on the last acquired GPS position, so random heading changes or losing the actual position generally doesn't occur. Also works much better in tunnels for the same reason. When I did European Delivery for example, I got lost in some large tunnel systems in Europe, because Google Maps was unable to give me proper directions without a GPS signal, so I missed exits that I was supposed to take inside of the tunnels, and it scrambled to reestablish my position whenever I emerged from a tunnel, often not long enough for it to get its ducks in a row again.

Last edited by superswiss; 11-11-2021 at 03:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MB221 (11-11-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 04:13 PM

Received 119 Likes on 95 Posts
2016 S550e, 2005 Nissan Xterra 4x4, 1984 300ZX
Have you tried to use google maps or waze outside of AA and see what that result looks like?
Old 11-14-2021, 03:22 AM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts
S63 AMG Cabrio
Also in Spain (outside the cities) Google is very confusing to use, strangely Waze works much better there (or the built-in nav of course when you have actual map data). You can also try to use Sygic (also works on Android Auto, like Google Maps and Waze). Since the built-in nav is slower in detecting traffic then Google and only gives one alternative route, I tend to use Google Maps when things get tricky, but the built-in maps for longer trips.
Old 11-14-2021, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 490 Likes on 341 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
I exclusively use Waze all the time when I need route assistance. Informs me off all negative traffic encounters, police sightings, construction sites to avoid , etc. Waze also finds destinations that other apps can't find.
The following users liked this post:
HAWKiS63 (11-15-2021)
Old 11-14-2021, 05:17 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
W222 400D 4-matic
Ok thanks for the input, ill check waze out. Normaly on the phone Gmaps works "great".
Old 11-15-2021, 12:05 PM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts
S63 AMG Cabrio
Originally Posted by MBS63AMG
I exclusively use Waze all the time when I need route assistance. Informs me off all negative traffic encounters, police sightings, construction sites to avoid , etc. Waze also finds destinations that other apps can't find.
Waze indeed is good, I normally use Flitsmeister for that (works also on Android Auto since earlier this year!). It gives all kinds of traffic, police, construction, etc info (also via audio, also when using built-in nav or google maps!) and you can easily send your own alert when you spot something not already spotted by others.