S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

2018 S560 with chauffeur package rear seat remote use?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 668 Likes on 524 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
2018 S560 with chauffeur package rear seat remote use?

I just found both my remotes for my 2018 S560 in a drawer and have never used them. Put batteries in them and popped in a DVD into the slot of the player in the back seats and when I try the remotes nothing happens while in the back seat?. Both screens can be turned on and off with the illuminated button on the bottom of the screen and appear to be working correctly although they are displaying a fm radio station? What am I doing wrong for anyone who uses this rear seat package. I figure I have the package might as well use it for rear seat passengers. Also I have a pair of MB headphones that came with the remotes but cant even figure out where they plug into? I left my owners manual at my other house so don't have access to that right now, I figured this would be simple. Don't see headphone jacks anywhere and the remotes dont seem to do anything even though the little red light light on the remotes comes on when I push any buttons on them.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:58 PM

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
S560
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
I just found both my remotes for my 2018 S560 in a drawer and have never used them. Put batteries in them and popped in a DVD into the slot of the player in the back seats and when I try the remotes nothing happens while in the back seat?. Both screens can be turned on and off with the illuminated button on the bottom of the screen and appear to be working correctly although they are displaying a fm radio station? What am I doing wrong for anyone who uses this rear seat package. I figure I have the package might as well use it for rear seat passengers. Also I have a pair of MB headphones that came with the remotes but cant even figure out where they plug into? I left my owners manual at my other house so don't have access to that right now, I figured this would be simple. Don't see headphone jacks anywhere and the remotes dont seem to do anything even though the little red light light on the remotes comes on when I push any buttons on them.
Hey!

On the controller, under Radio, Media, Car will be a little roller that switches the remote from controlling the command, L, or R TV. Make sure it is selected to the TV you are using.

The headphones are IR wireless so they connect without having to plug them in. Just turn them on and they should connect automatically. My kids figured them out before I did lol.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 668 Likes on 524 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
I tried moving the roller switch to match the left screen I was using but still nothing, put new batteries in the remote too. I did figure out the headphones were IR as no cords but when turned on nothing happens, might be bad batteries in the phones but cant figure how to get the batteries out and what type they use? Must be something very lightweight as the phones don't weigh very much. Thanks for the help, I guess I'll try the other remote on the other screen and see what happens. Does it have to be aimed a certain place? I suspect not as that wouldn't make sense. I dunno I may have to forget about ever using any of this stuff. It's a shame, I think it was a 12K option although I got the car used and it was just there to start with. I mainly wanted the car for the 3d audio and all the other options like MBC etc. Very expensive sticker on the car but buying it used was half that.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 S550
I have the same issue on the 2015 w222 I got recently with rear seat entertainment system. I read on another post that basically it needs to be reprogrammed each time after battery dies. I brought into dealership and they wanted to charge $299 diagnostic fee on top of whatever cost for programming since it was out of warranty. I figured I can live without the rear screens, even thought they do look nice if I can get them to work. I might try an indy mechanic next time to see if they can help.
Old 02-06-2022, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by bkc2006
I have the same issue on the 2015 w222 I got recently with rear seat entertainment system. I read on another post that basically it needs to be reprogrammed each time after battery dies. I brought into dealership and they wanted to charge $299 diagnostic fee on top of whatever cost for programming since it was out of warranty. I figured I can live without the rear screens, even thought they do look nice if I can get them to work. I might try an indy mechanic next time to see if they can help.
Where did you read remotes need to be programmed after each battery change? I'm sure someone has written so but I'm also sure you can find messages saying the opposite. Just read another thread (I think you posted there too) where an owner said he uses rechargeable batteries and has changed them many times without any need for programming.

Perhaps there is a SW bug or something that makes the car forget the remotes or headsets as after all lost connectivity is talked a lot and seems to be more than just making a new remote/headset work when a stolen one is replaced with a new device.
Old 02-06-2022, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
... I did figure out the headphones were IR as no cords but when turned on nothing happens, might be bad batteries in the phones but cant figure how to get the batteries out and what type they use?
I believe all W222 headsets and remotes work over radio, not IR. They all have a unique UID code that the head unit knows (I don't have rear screens, the code may be programmed to the rear screen control unit for rear remotes and headsets). IR or RF should not make any difference to the discussion except that IR devices should not need programming (if my memory is correct, don't count on that).

The headset batteries are on the speaker that does not have the L/R/front switch. Just turn the glossy outside cover anticlockwise and lift it off. Takes two batteries, I think it was AAA size.