S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Did the Dealer's Repair Order Lie?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2022, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
17 AMG GTs, 19 S560, 18 C300
Did the Dealer's Repair Order Lie?

3 weeks ago, I bought a 2019 S560 with just under 61k miles on it from MB of West Covina. Before I bought the car, the sales gave me a copy of the repair order which detailed the reconditioning done to the car when the dealer received it back in September. They replaced the front pads and rotors, wipers, engine air filter, key batteries, touchpad, front chrome molding (non AMG), changed the oil, and one tire. I didn't look too closely at the car over these past 3 weeks because I was busy with work. Today, I looked at the repair order again and I saw that the replacement tire read "CONTINENTAL 285/40ZR22 SKU0356483 106Y," which is obviously wrong because the car uses stock OEM 19s (245/45R19 front 275/40R19 rear). This made me question the validity of the rest of the document. I have no way of inspecting the front brakes and filters at the moment, so I looked at what I could.

In September, their mechanic found the front chrome molding broken and replaced it. The mechanic also found the touch button broken and replaced the complete control unit. Assuming the repair order's mileage is correct, the car was driven 46 miles before it was sold to me in late January. I have driven it 300 miles since. Today, I see that the chrome piece is cracked in a few places and has rock chip marks all over it consistent with the grille, which is original to the car, or at least not reconditioned by this dealer. The touchpad doesn't work despite being supposedly replaced entirely. The swirl marks on the base of the pad also makes me question whether it's actually newly replaced, as it looks about the same as my AMG GT's with 23k miles on it. I did read on here that the touchpad not working may be a software issue though. I attached some photos of the molding and touchpad.

I looked up the part numbers from the repair order to confirm that I am referring to the correct parts. touchpad molding 1 molding 2 molding 3

I am not expecting cosmetic perfection from a 61k miles car that obviously saw a lot of highway miles. The dealer will say that the car was sold as is without warranty, and I get that. However, I did rely on the repair order to accurately represent the work done to the car; the repair order contains statements of fact and not mere opinions. If they claim to have replaced parts and done work that were actually not done, that is a misrepresentation.

tl;dr: Dealer claimed to have replaced some parts but they don't look like they are anywhere near new.

Does the actual condition and the repair order appear consistent to you guys? Have any of you run into these kinds of issues with dealers?

On a lighter note, the car is nicely optioned with MBC, Magic Sky Control, and Burmester 3D, and I don't think I can go without them if I buy another S class in the future. I wish it had the HUD though.