S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

w222 s400/300 hybrid owners?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 09:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
w222 s400 hybrid 2015
w222 s400/300 hybrid owners?

Hi guys. I have just imported a 2015 s400 hybrid from japan to australia, wondering anyone else own this car? optioned with amg sports package and exclusive package. 222057 seem very rare and were only officially distrubuted in UK, japan, China, indonesia, and malaysia. i hope they are not as fragile as the w221 s400 hybrid!

had to change grille to a "brabus style" as my orignal one was damaged in japan

The following users liked this post:
will_atl (05-22-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 11:13 AM

Received 106 Likes on 73 Posts
W222, W221, W218, W211
I always get confused when I see a short wheel base S class... it's like looking at a familiar face but not quite. Sometimes I also get it with C and E class from the same age - they just look too similar. Anyways - congrats. I am not a fan of this grill, but if it works with you - why not.
Can you do the expected 40kms on the battery? or does the range drop immediately when you start driving even when it's full at the beginning? I'm curious because I saw how it looked in a 2015 S400 hybrid model with one of my friends - battery percentage was all over the place there - starting at 99%, to drop below 50% in a minute... then getting up to 70-80 within next 5-10 minutes. I don't think it's normal... But I did not make any comments there - just observing and staying quiet - you know what they say about hybrids: they always fail with age. And are prohibitively expensive to replace. And he was super happy with his "new" car...
Old 05-23-2022, 02:58 PM

Received 102 Likes on 80 Posts
2016 S550e, 2005 Nissan Xterra 4x4, 1984 300ZX
I have a 2016 550e which in US. Overall the range meter is completely dependent on how you drive. If you are gentle on the throttle you can get close or on 17 miles, but if your looking to nail it then 10 on pure electric. I have it pretty wired now to get the most for my electrons and use a mix of the all electric, hybrid and charge modes depending on what I am doing. And when I get close to home I use all electric until I run out. Overall the car is seemless going in between modes and the engine cutoff is the only car I have driven where I didn't figure out how to turn the feature off. Congrats you will like it and I get about 32 MPG to a tank most of the time which is nice with gas prices these days vs. V8. This car was tough to find in 2019, I literally found 2 on the west coast and had to travel to LA from SF to get mine. There were zero in SF Bay area and the local dealers all told me that they had waiting lists for CPO's to come in.
Old 05-31-2022, 09:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
w222 s400 hybrid 2015
Originally Posted by amgs63dxb
I always get confused when I see a short wheel base S class... it's like looking at a familiar face but not quite. Sometimes I also get it with C and E class from the same age - they just look too similar. Anyways - congrats. I am not a fan of this grill, but if it works with you - why not.
Can you do the expected 40kms on the battery? or does the range drop immediately when you start driving even when it's full at the beginning? I'm curious because I saw how it looked in a 2015 S400 hybrid model with one of my friends - battery percentage was all over the place there - starting at 99%, to drop below 50% in a minute... then getting up to 70-80 within next 5-10 minutes. I don't think it's normal... But I did not make any comments there - just observing and staying quiet - you know what they say about hybrids: they always fail with age. And are prohibitively expensive to replace. And he was super happy with his "new" car...
yes mate it is a very strange feeling driving this car. the hybrid system is a cheap copy of toyota but the ecu never get your intentions right, where in toyota hybrid its about 50 percent correct. i cannot run purely on electric motor it has to be combined with petrol motor to run. electric motor will start the car instead of a tradional starter motor, and power all the electric of the car. Because its a tiny battery, when it doesnt hold enough power output it will start the petrol motor to assist it to run. Petrol motor could charge the hybrid battery and braking also will regen power to the battery! this is why the number goes up and down.. its the percentage of the hybrid battery level. W221 s400h is a absolute disaster that mb has realised.. they did some improvement on w222 but like you said i am indeed taking a huge gamble.. hope it doesnt fail me!
The following users liked this post:
amgs63dxb (06-01-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 02:14 PM

Received 102 Likes on 80 Posts
2016 S550e, 2005 Nissan Xterra 4x4, 1984 300ZX
The W222 works great, I can run on all electric without any issues and it is pretty peppy too. The move from electric to kick on the motor is seamless as well and the auto stop feature when the gas motor going to sleep as you coast into a stop light works very well. This is the only car I have driven with that feature where I didn't find a way to to turn it off. I had a Chevy in Hawaii for a week and a VW in Nashville and had to turn off on both of those as AC didn't work well and it was clunky