S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

W223 ECO Glide Mode Usage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2022 | 07:03 PM

W223 S500 LWB 4-Matic, W222 S450 LWB 4-Matic, W211 E500 4-Matic Wagon
W223 ECO Glide Mode Usage

With the price of gas approaching $6 per gallon here I thought I'd try gliding a bit in ECO mode. Since our area is somewhat hilly, it actually seems to work really well. Almost seamless and definitely cuts back on fuel usage.

I'm wondering with the engine off while gliding how the transmission hydraulic pump circulates the transmission fluid? Is there a 48V electric transmission fluid pump? Does the transmission still keep spinning with the driveshaft to keep the fluid moving? I thought auto tranny fluid needs to circulate at all times. If there is a chance of abnormal transmission wear while gliding is in use (engine off, continually engaging and disengaging transmission) I'll skip it. Any MB engineers in here? Thanks
Old 06-08-2022 | 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 S550, 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid
This is the W222 forum, you might get better info in W223 ...
The following 2 users liked this post by Tom in Austin:
MrTonysr (06-13-2022), Sleeper Benz (06-11-2022)
Old 06-08-2022 | 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Yes, the transmission needs to maintain fluid pressure at all times and lubricate the gears, because the wheels still turn the driveshaft which turns the gears in the transmission. The 9G Tronic accomplishes this via an auxiliary electric oil pump. The engine also needs to continue to be lubricated and the engine oil pump is electric as well. These things along with power steering have gone electric a while ago.

https://www.car-engineer.com/9g-tron...sion-mercedes/

Oil supply using two pumps

To ensure supply of the 2nd-generation synthetic engine oil, the 9G-TRONIC is fitted with two pumps. The mechanical main pump installed “off-axis” lies next to the main shaft and is driven via a chain. In an automatic transmission such as 7G-TRONIC, the main oil pump previously ringed the transmission shaft and was directly driven. This meant that the diameter of the transmission shaft prevented the pump from being reduced in size as desired. For this reason the vane cell pump is now placed alongside the main shaft (“off-axis”), and is reduced in size to suit requirements.

The mechanical main pump, which ensures the oil supply to the electrohydraulically controlled automatic transmission when the internal combustion engine is running, is backed up by a separate electric auxiliary pump. On the one hand this design enables the flow of lubrication and coolant to be controlled actively on demand, and at the same time also means that the 9G-TRONIC can benefit from a start/stop system. In subsequent hybrid applications, this additional oil delivery also allows so-called “sailing”, i.e. maintaining a constant speed without using the internal combustion engine.

When the engine is off – for example at a red traffic light in start/stop mode – the electric auxiliary pump is actuated, ensuring a defined basic pressure and guaranteeing that all necessary functions are maintained. When the driver wishes to move off on a green light, oil delivery by the electric pump after engine-starting guarantees acceleration. In certain operating states with the engine running, the auxiliary pump also assists the main pump, for example at very low engine speeds or in very high temperatures. In this case the flow of oil is added as needed to ensure smooth gear shifts or when there is a higher cooling requirement.

Last edited by superswiss; 06-08-2022 at 07:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sleeper Benz (06-11-2022)
Old 06-11-2022 | 09:32 AM

W223 S500 LWB 4-Matic, W222 S450 LWB 4-Matic, W211 E500 4-Matic Wagon
Yes, my bad due to having both a W222 & W223 and bouncing back and forth on this fine forum. Thanks for the replies. Moderator please move to W223 section.