S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Run flats questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 09:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
S550
Run flats questions

I recently picked up a 2015 s550 with 13k miles. This is my 6th s class, and I'm happy. But, this is my first experience with run flat tires. My biggest question is about how the tires hold up in a highway speed blowout situation. Do you still get some drivability or can the tires get shredded like non-rf versions?

i drive some long distance trips and sometimes a long way from any dealerships. I've used the MB towing service before, but it's nice to know I have a donut tire. Are there things to watch out for?

i've never had good life from tires on my s 550's but haven't had a blowout either.
Old 07-04-2022, 10:01 PM

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts
2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
Originally Posted by slcbbrown
I recently picked up a 2015 s550 with 13k miles. This is my 6th s class, and I'm happy. But, this is my first experience with run flat tires. My biggest question is about how the tires hold up in a highway speed blowout situation. Do you still get some drivability or can the tires get shredded like non-rf versions?
i drive some long distance trips and sometimes a long way from any dealerships. I've used the MB towing service before, but it's nice to know I have a donut tire. Are there things to watch out for?
i've never had good life from tires on my s 550's but haven't had a blowout either.
There are many people on here with strong feelings about run flats both pro and con. When I got my 2016 coupe I was concerned about not having a spare tire. But then, thinking back, I realized that I hadn't had a flat tire other than a slow leak in over probably 40 years. A year ago I hit a rock in the road that split my right front tire at the base of the side wall and cracked the wheel (20 inch multi spoke). But I was able to drive on it in spite of the split sidewall. They are a bit noisier than non RFs but otherwise I have no complaint.
The following users liked this post:
slcbbrown (07-07-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 02:27 AM

Received 181 Likes on 131 Posts
63 Falcon vert
I’ve had both and lost both. NRF blowout was saved by a donut that got me into town. RF separated at tread/sidewall joint at hwy speed. Was near an off ramp and limped on the busted RF to a tire store for a new RF. Got lucky the had the correct size.

Personally I would prefer a spare but I gamble with RFs.
The following users liked this post:
slcbbrown (07-07-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 04:42 PM

Received 115 Likes on 91 Posts
2016 S550e, 2005 Nissan Xterra 4x4, 1984 300ZX
There isn't really a place for the spare when the cars come with RF's. I haven't had a blow-out in last 10 years but did have one on my old Q45, but I was running low profile tires and hit a big bump. Either way I towed the car to my mechanic and bought new set of tires from Tire Rack. Some people have stuck a dount spare into their trunk, but I have the Plug-in Hybrid so my truck is already too small to begin with. So far I would prefer a little more performance but the AMG 19" wheels and the Michelin MXM MOE's (mercedes specfici) I am just fine with the ride. For sure a RF will hold up better than a non-RF hitting something and allowing you to get to a place for repair.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 353 Likes on 231 Posts
S600
Originally Posted by slcbbrown
But, this is my first experience with run flat tires. My biggest question is about how the tires hold up in a highway speed blowout situation. Do you still get some drivability or can the tires get shredded like non-rf versions?.
Think of it like this:
A run flat tire gives you 50 miles at 50 MPH to get somewhere to replace the tire.
A standard tire give you 0 miles at 0 MPH to get somewhere to replace the tire.
In both cases, you will be replacing the tire maybe the whole set.

Most of the time 50 MPH is not considered Highway speeds.

You may notice several handling anomalies::
steering may pull to one side,
brakes my cause the car to steer one way or the other,
acceleration may cause the car to steer one way or another.
Your gas mileage will su$k
The following 2 users liked this post by Mitch Alsup:
BenzV12 (07-06-2022), slcbbrown (07-07-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 11:18 AM

Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts
2015 MB S550 & 2020 MB GLS 450
The 2015 I bought in 2019 is my first experience with RF. The tires were original (6,200 mi) and I have had two blowouts, one front and one rear. When the front passenger tire blew, I remember hitting a major pothole, but since tire pressure did not drop I did not think anything about it. Until a few days later I was on that side of the car and saw the bubble. Given the summer compound, I believe the age of the tires may have affected the blowouts.

What may be one factor in your decision is your tire size. I have the 20s and unless something has come out recently, there is no RF all season tire for the rear. My tires are summer tires. There are at least three all season RF choices with the 19s. As a result, while I have no issues with the RF, I am strongly considering non RF tires at next change.
The following 2 users liked this post by TNS550:
BenzV12 (07-07-2022), slcbbrown (07-07-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 04:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 642 Likes on 481 Posts
W212 FL
Thanks for your relies , yes age of tires could be related to blowouts and to the best of my knowledge 10 years maximum a lifespan for tires .RFT could give you a chance to drive without getting stranded but in the end you have to hit the tire store