S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

The mysterious water leak.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2022 | 03:19 PM
Veteran: Air Force

2016 S550, 1997 LS Swap Silverado. 2010 Jag XFR, 2003 G35 Sedan, 1999 LS6 swap Z28.
The mysterious water leak.

Had a water leak that appeared to be coming from the driver side frame spur. Decided to have a look at the heater control valve since many mentioned this as the likely culprit.
tools needed, small set of torx, hose clamp tool, a cooling system pressure tester/vacuum coolant filler, windshield wiper arm puller (I used a battery terminal puller). I don't give specific hardware sizes as that's my disclaimer, you do the job it's on you. Install is the reverse of removal.

This hose comes off the driver head and connects to a plastic water block that come through and mounts to the engine firewall.

This hose connects to the hose from the engine and distributes hot water to the heater control valve and window washer system, that hole is where a small line connected and was the source of my leak. The best way to remove it is to release the line from the back of the engine (pull the wire lock up until it clicks, pull the hose out of the connector) break off all the mounting tabs (4) and push it into the compartment with the heater control valve. It feeds water through the top of the heater control valve.

Broken water line and the heater control valve in the background. If you go in for one, replace them both. The heater control valve has a electrical connector on the back, disconnect before tugging. They will be on my regular maintenance inspection list moving forward.

Old hot water infeed hose and heater control valve.

Hot water infeed hose pn.

Broke this line on top of the engine during the repair. I'd have one on hand just in case, it can always go back if not needed.

Last edited by Bigg Willi; 10-14-2022 at 03:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bigg Willi:
C Swenson (10-15-2022), vincheung (10-13-2022)