S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

How Long Do You Plan to Keep Your W222?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2023, 01:13 AM

Received 209 Likes on 115 Posts
2019 W222 S560 4Matic /2019 Chevy Suburban Premier
Originally Posted by SW20S
I understand that, but its going to be what we have...and its going to be fine.
the electric car is a perfect example of government trying to force an idea that the market has not really understood.
I have clients from NJ to Ohio and down to FL.
I get in the car and make 3 stops for gas all the way down to the end of FL, or all the way out to Akron OH.
electic car chargers are slow, range is limited.
You’re not road tripping in that car because you have to stop every 4 hours.
The fires are an insurance nightmare and environmentaly these are highly toxic cars with materials that combust at high temps, highly toxic.
If the market was to truly push ev’s for everyone the government would not need to be involved.
how many busted charging stations there are in just NJ alone?
I’ll keep my gas car.
an EV is an electic vehicle, nothing for any real car lover to enjoy on an ev.
no gear oils to change, etc.
The following 3 users liked this post by vinflouen:
Drone_S213 (01-26-2023), Quenthel (01-26-2023), seamus2154 (01-27-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 03:12 AM

Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts
2021 AMG E63s Wagon
Way out West

Originally Posted by vinflouen
the electric car is a perfect example of government trying to force an idea that the market has not really understood.
I get in the car and make 3 stops for gas all the way down to the end of FL, or all the way out to Akron OH.
The fires are an insurance nightmare and environmentaly these are highly toxic cars with materials that combust at high temps, highly toxic.
If the market was to truly push ev’s for everyone the government would not need to be involved.
I’ll keep my gas car.
In my youth thought 350-400 mile trips were my Threshold until I moved from NY to California in 1985. My record from the University of Rochester to Long Island was 5-hours in a BMW 2002 over 40 years ago. For the most part once you get out of the urban areas out West you make pretty good time especially with the 75 and 80mph "posted" speed limits. Old ladies in Texas easily drive across the expansive Lone Star State...lol

My commute from Athens GA to NM residence is 1500-miles. Stop halfway now in DFW in retirement. When I took delivery of my AMG Wagon in 2021 on a Friday had get to the DMV and Bank Monday Morning to meet my FedEx paperwork at their offices during the Pandemic. Left GA Saturday morning and arrived NM Sunday Afternoon. That drive was the most enjoyable and effortless to date in my First New AMG Mercedes...can only imagine how much better it would be in a W222 S-Class AMG Line or S63!

Now can no longer tolerate the drive "Back in the World" on the East Coast between Boston-NYC-DC during normal hours after seeing the Entire USA in my Chevrolet. Have to leave White Plains 4am to arrive in Athens, GA by 5pm to avoid traffic. Rather take the Amtrak and sleep like I did between BWI and Boston South Station for daughter's MIT graduation last June.

So I can relate how@SW20S can transition from the W222 to a premium EV sedan when his lease is up for his commute in Metro DC/MD area and avoid the (premium) gas station blues. Folks out West need to routinely drive 400-800 miles roundtrip to watch their kids compete in High School Sports, visit relatives, weddings/funerals, or go shopping on Fridays and Saturdays. My wife will purchase an EV as her next vehicle for her 30-mile commute to the USDA in GA. She drives a CRV Hybrid now. Will keep my ICE until I downsize and give up outdoor activities like hunting with my friends between Arizona and GA/SC/FL...a buddy woke me 4am from his hunt near Selma, Alabama yesterday morning!

Not sure the wife will purchase an i7 or EV S-Class however...
Old 01-26-2023, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,771 Likes on 1,774 Posts
2024 S580
I’ll keep my gas car.
if you regularly travel up and down the east coast nobody is saying that an EV would be for you. As for stopping every 4 hours, I have to stop more often than every 4 hours. On a 350 mile trip I would have to stop once for about 15-20 minutes and thats time for me to get some food, go to the bathroom, thats no big deal. PLENTY of people road trip in EVs, I know because I see them everywhere when I'm on a road trip.

I'm a car lover, but that doesn't mean I enjoy changing gear oil and engine oil lol, I drive an S Class for God's sake, I pay other people to do that. Having driven several EVs I see plenty that I enjoy. I enjoy driving and owning cars, not working on them.

As for busted charging stations, thats not a problem for Tesla, but it is a big problem with Electrify America and Chargepoint etc, which makes it a harder decision between a Tesla and something like an EQS or i7. That will improve as they are more financially lucrative In my day to day life I would never need to charge outside of my home, I would only need to do so on a road trip.
Old 01-26-2023, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,019 Likes on 741 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
I’ll keep my gas car.
So how is Mr Market going to solve the climate crisis?
Old 01-26-2023, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
Until electric cars can be made using a battery that is made from earth abundant materials, and has a very fast upcharge rate, it is a fun novelty and not anywhere near ready for prime time. We are trading one issue for another as it takes an awful lot of precious metals that tend to be mined in a not very earth friendly manner to make one of these EV batteries. Not to mention the fire and recycling issues with all of these batteries.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:40 PM

Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts
63 Falcon vert
Originally Posted by blackbullit
I will go with Balvenie Double Wood!
How about a Glenlivet 12? Both are Speyside very lightly plated (smoky) varieties. Glenlivet a bigger seller in US at a better price point. Balvenie uses oak maturation and final finish in sherry butt. Glenlivet in oak only. Better, more aromatic nose on Balvenie of rip fruits, very smooth, kind of creamy, vanilla undertones from the oak barrels. Glenlivet not as aromatic, more cereal and honey notes overprinting the vanilla oak tones. Real toss up between the two. Just depends on whether you like dry sherry fruity notes or more cereal and honey. Wouldn’t lose with either one.

Corona works too.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
I had a bad experience with Scotch once that included Dewars and a shower curtain with fish on it. I'm not ready to talk about it yet lol
Old 01-27-2023, 04:42 AM

Received 261 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
Originally Posted by Donnymac
How about a Glenlivet 12? Both are Speyside very lightly plated (smoky) varieties. Glenlivet a bigger seller in US at a better price point. Balvenie uses oak maturation and final finish in sherry butt. Glenlivet in oak only. Better, more aromatic nose on Balvenie of rip fruits, very smooth, kind of creamy, vanilla undertones from the oak barrels. Glenlivet not as aromatic, more cereal and honey notes overprinting the vanilla oak tones. Real toss up between the two. Just depends on whether you like dry sherry fruity notes or more cereal and honey. Wouldn’t lose with either one.

Corona works too.
Due to losing taste buds in my recent late 80s, I don’t drink the brown stuff anymore - it’s a waste of $$.
But even when I did I switched around amongst various blends and single malts. However,I never developed the ability to distinguish such tasting notes as you mentioned. They were always just Scottish whiskys. Except I never could enjoy the Islay versions.
Old 01-27-2023, 03:57 PM

63 Falcon vert
Originally Posted by Newbyloub
Due to losing taste buds in my recent late 80s, I don’t drink the brown stuff anymore - it’s a waste of $$.
But even when I did I switched around amongst various blends and single malts. However,I never developed the ability to distinguish such tasting notes as you mentioned. They were always just Scottish whiskys. Except I never could enjoy the Islay versions.
Ever try Knappouge Castle?
Old 01-27-2023, 04:38 PM

Received 261 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
Not that I’m aware of.
Old 01-27-2023, 05:55 PM

63 Falcon vert
I had a bad experience with Scotch once that included Dewars and a shower curtain with fish on it. I'm not ready to talk about it yet lol
Pass on Dewars but need to hear the story.
Old 01-27-2023, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Pass on Dewars but need to hear the story.
I was young and dumb lol. I was staying with a friend of mine from high school, we were maybe 23... and we drank an entire handle of white label Dewars. At some point in the evening I decided I needed to take a bath, once I figured out how to get out of the bedroom I passed out in his bathtub and the one memory I have is of looking up at this clear fish shower curtain his girlfriend had up in the bathtub...I was SO hung over the next morning. We are both married to the girlfriends that were there with us that night, and its a miracle either of them wanted anything to do with us afterwards.

For many years after that the taste of ANY scotch on my lips immediately made me heave...

Last edited by SW20S; 01-27-2023 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-27-2023, 08:18 PM

63 Falcon vert
I was young and dumb lol. I was staying with a friend of mine from high school, we were maybe 23... and we drank an entire handle of white label Dewars. At some point in the evening I decided I needed to take a bath, once I figured out how to get out of the bedroom I passed out in his bathtub and the one memory I have is of looking up at this clear fish shower curtain his girlfriend had up in the bathtub...I was SO hung over the next morning. We are both married to the girlfriends that were there with us that night, and its a miracle either of them wanted anything to do with us afterwards.

For many years after that the taste of ANY scotch on my lips immediately made me heave...
Been there amigo.
Old 01-28-2023, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Been there amigo.
Pretty sure we all have lol
Old 01-29-2023, 06:18 PM

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
I've had my W222 for nearly 10 years now, the longest I've ever kept a car. Everything else in the garage changes every 2/3 years; should be a testament to how I feel about it. I want to replace it with an Audi Grandsphere or the Mercedes EQXX, will probably exchange my 222 and RS6 for the RS6 E-Tron first as it should be coming out sooner. I tried a 223 and EQS but I didn't feel it a step up like I did with the Range Rovers.

Last edited by UrBusted; 01-29-2023 at 06:51 PM.