S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Boom noise and pressure buffeting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 11:06 AM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Too many
Boom noise and pressure buffeting

Very interested in this generation of S-Class, but I wanted to share some observations from drives in two examples.

There was a little bit more low frequency boom sound over bumps than I expected. Much more than I noticed in the LS460.
Second, driving around 60 mph was perfect, but around 80 mph I felt a bit more pressure in the cabin, almost like buffeting but it wasn't so audible.

The models were a 2014 with 80,000 miles and a 2015 with 49,000 miles.

Has anyone noticed this?
Old 02-24-2023, 11:27 AM

Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts
2001 S600 V12 Sold, 2011 Jaguar XFR Sold, 2017 S550 4-Matic, 2018 S63 AMG Sedan
Both of those observations could be potentially be due to the tires on the car. "Tire slap" is terminology that can be used to describe the sound tires make when rolling and interacting with bumps in the road. Every tire sounds different. The buffeting noise you describe "could" be due to how the tires sound at higher speeds, but buffeting is more often used to describe pressure change regulation in the cabin, like when only one window is open in the car. Did you check to be sure all windows, including the sunroof, were fully closed? The other thing that would cause that noise is worn driveline parts, mainly bearings and hubs. But that's unlikely with under 50K on the odomoter and super rare for an 80K mile car. The only common denominator is tires, on both cars. The tread design, tread compound, and amount of wear all affect the amount and type of road noises you hear.
Old 02-24-2023, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,640 Likes on 1,695 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by Quietride
Very interested in this generation of S-Class, but I wanted to share some observations from drives in two examples.

There was a little bit more low frequency boom sound over bumps than I expected. Much more than I noticed in the LS460.
Second, driving around 60 mph was perfect, but around 80 mph I felt a bit more pressure in the cabin, almost like buffeting but it wasn't so audible.

The models were a 2014 with 80,000 miles and a 2015 with 49,000 miles.

Has anyone noticed this?
I had two LS460s before. The S Class rides on runflats, doing away with the run flats solves this. The S Class is actually much better isolated from road noise than the LS. Also, try and avoid S Classes with 20" wheels.

The S Class does have a little more audible sound of wind moving around the outside of the car at speed, Im not sure if this is because of the car being better isolated from road noise, Im not sure. But the LS460 and my S560 both measure 58 or so dB at 75 MPH...

As with any older car, I would treat all the seals with shin etsu grease to make sure that they are sealing well.

The S CLass is a better overall car than the LS460 but there are a few places where Lexus still excels.
Old 02-24-2023, 12:25 PM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Too many
Thank you for the replies!

Both cars were running run flat tires.
The 2014 had 20” wheels with Pirelli P Zero
The 2015 had 18” wheels with Continental ProContact SSR

Raised and lowered all windows, sunroof, as well as toggling cabin recirculation.

Just to confirm, the RF tires can cause that pressure sensation in the ears? I got it both from bumpy roads, and from 80 mph driving. Slower highway driving was sublime.
Noise is my number one criteria.

Old 02-24-2023, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 334 Likes on 248 Posts
2016 S550, 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid
I was a little surprised to learn (on here) that air suspensions are inherently more prone to 'tire slap' sounds than steel springs. Despite all the other benefits an air suspension does have at least one downside.

I noticed that the Maybach cars have steel springs, and wondered if that might have something to do with it, since staying with the W222 air suspension would seem like a no brainer.
Old 02-24-2023, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by Quietride
Thank you for the replies!

Both cars were running run flat tires.
The 2014 had 20” wheels with Pirelli P Zero
The 2015 had 18” wheels with Continental ProContact SSR

Raised and lowered all windows, sunroof, as well as toggling cabin recirculation.

Just to confirm, the RF tires can cause that pressure sensation in the ears? I got it both from bumpy roads, and from 80 mph driving. Slower highway driving was sublime.
Noise is my number one criteria.
If you're talking about a "pressure sensation" in your ears, that isn't anything I feel in my S Class or any of the other ones I have driven.

Originally Posted by Tom in Austin
I was a little surprised to learn (on here) that air suspensions are inherently more prone to 'tire slap' sounds than steel springs. Despite all the other benefits an air suspension does have at least one downside.

I noticed that the Maybach cars have steel springs, and wondered if that might have something to do with it, since staying with the W222 air suspension would seem like a no brainer.
Thats true, but having had many good cars on steel springs and air suspension, the benefits of air suspension over steel springs well makes up for that one potential tradeoff.

Maybachs have air suspension too, unless they have MBC then they have a hydraulic suspension
Old 02-24-2023, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 196 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by carlosinseattle
Both of those observations could be potentially be due to the tires on the car. "Tire slap" is terminology that can be used to describe the sound tires make when rolling and interacting with bumps in the road. Every tire sounds different. The buffeting noise you describe "could" be due to how the tires sound at higher speeds, but buffeting is more often used to describe pressure change regulation in the cabin, like when only one window is open in the car. Did you check to be sure all windows, including the sunroof, were fully closed? The other thing that would cause that noise is worn driveline parts, mainly bearings and hubs. But that's unlikely with under 50K on the odomoter and super rare for an 80K mile car. The only common denominator is tires, on both cars. The tread design, tread compound, and amount of wear all affect the amount and type of road noises you hear.
Possibly bad or missing weather strip. This can be confirmed by temporarily adding some painters tape over the exterior locations and see if you notice a change. Have someone tape you in on the driver's side.
Old 02-24-2023, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 502 Likes on 375 Posts
222 S-65
OP where the goal is quiet..... Reach for a Maybach. The V-12 powered car without run flat tires will be the most serene.

As others have mentioned... tire choice is a big deal. As they wear expect noise levels to climb. Quietest tire I have encountered has been the Continental DWS 06. Silent on many surfaces when fresh. Mercedes gives a range of tire pressures. Keep pressure on the low end to absorb a LOT of what is happening where the tire meets the road.

Aside from tires the aero design of the outside mirrors is a big deal for wind noise. This is why modern cars have the outside mirror stand away from the glass in carefully shaped housings. Mirrors used to be very noisy; making for buffeting right at the glass on the driver’s door.

I have owned and driven a number of 222 cars. I have never encountered my ears popping (equalizing) in any of them except when gaining or losing altitude.

Last edited by JohnLane; 02-24-2023 at 11:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Nice Ride (02-25-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
The ordinary W222 is one of the quietest cars one can buy...
Old 02-25-2023, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 220 Posts
S600
When I bought my 2015 S-600 there was plenty of road noise from the run-flat times on 20" wheels.
I got rid of a lot of this by going with non-run-crap tires on the original 20" wheels.
I got rid of 3× more tire noise by going to non-run-flat times on 19" wheels.

The 19" Khumo (can you believe it) tires at 40-PSI are quieter and ride better than the 20" Dunlop tires at 32-PSI. {Both non run-flat}