S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Getting all these software updates installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 07:04 PM

Received 109 Likes on 60 Posts
2019 S560 4MATIC Sedan
Getting all these software updates installed

Just bought my first S class early February and what I have noticed after lots of research, reading forums and TSB searches etc. is that most fixes are repaired with a software update.

I want to bring mine in and ask for all software updates to be installed if mine are determined to be older than the newest available ( ie. My service intervals are set at 25K - Software update fixes it to 10K ).

My vehicle is out of factory warranty.

What am I to expect when I ask for this? Anyone think Mercedes would cover this? I bought a really good extended warranty but doubt software updates are covered. Vehicle has 53k miles on it now.

Old 02-24-2023, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,813 Likes on 2,549 Posts
2019 C63CS
Don't even try. That's not how it works. There are three ways software updates are installed. Starting with MY2019, some updates are installed over-the-air. Those are currently mostly map updates, but they also fixed a recall for the communication module with an OTA update in 2021 and there was just another OTA update for the communication module. Newer models with MBUX have received updates for the Infotainment system, because it was and still is buggy. Most systems in the car cannot be updated with an OTA update at this point, though.

The second way of getting updates is if MB issues a service campaign. Those cover things that they want to fix on every sold car. These get installed when you bring the car in for service. When they check your VIN in their system the service campaigns will come up. Same for recalls that cannot be addressed via an OTA update.

The third way are updates that are installed in response to a specific complaint from the customer about something not working correctly.

I have received updates that fall into all three categories, but walking in and asking them to update all modules in the car to the latest software is not gonna happen. There are hundreds of modules in these cars. Unless there is a specific issue and an update that specifically resolves said issue they are not gonna update every single module. Whether your extended warranty covers software updates, depends on the exclusions of your warranty. Most extended warranties only cover mechanical parts. During the factory warranty this updates are all covered.

Generally speaking I believe in the old proverb "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I am a software engineer myself, but the cycle of updates has gone a bit crazy. Often an update introduces new bugs, that then need yet another update to fix the new bugs and so on. If I don't have any issues with my car, I don't want them to touch it, otherwise who knows what's next after they install an update for something that worked fine before.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-24-2023 at 07:53 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by superswiss:
C Swenson (02-25-2023), drose224 (02-25-2023), MBGuy2022 (02-25-2023), Nice Ride (02-24-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 08:01 PM

2019 S560 4MATIC Sedan
I am going to assume an informed owner to the TSB's put out by Mercedes is the only way to get these things fixed. After reading the TSB's for an early built 2019 W222 I have about 8 items that can be fixed with software updates if not more. That's 8 or more line items on the RO. each being stated individually with a complaint. Maybe then the aftermarket warranty may cover it if it's listed that way.

I guess if I was a Mercedes tech who owned a Mercedes that had updates available I could do it the way I want.
Old 02-24-2023, 08:12 PM
VII

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts
2016 S65, 2014 SLK55 (Previous 2013 SLK350, 2008 CLS63, 2006 E350, 2006 CLS500, 2005 C230K)
You can ask and if you are paying the will do it, likely charge 1 hr per module so $2k?
Definetly will not be covered by aftermarket warranty or CPO without a valid complaint.
Old 02-24-2023, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,813 Likes on 2,549 Posts
2019 C63CS
Keep in mind that TSBs are VIN specific. Just because there's a TSB out there doesn't mean it applies to your VIN as these updates get incorporated into the production. So if you state just a bunch of issues covered by various TSBs, but these issues don't actually occur in your car you may raise suspicion. There are tests that the techs have to run before they apply a TSB. Often there needs to be a fault code logged that is covered by the TSB. If they scan your car and no fault codes come back, or the tests they run beforehand pass, then the update will likely not get applied.

As an example, my COMAND system very sporadically didn't start up and I mentioned that during my last service visit. According to the tech's notes they plugged in their test equipment and ran through the prescribed test which found a logged error code and then told the tech to update the software. They don't just go ahead an apply an update. MB in most cases makes them run a specific diagnostic test to see if the TSB even applies or is approved for the specific case. To my earlier point, they don't want you to come back with new issues that arise from installing an update that wasn't necessary in the first place.

But yeah as the poster above just said, I'm sure if you tell them you are going to pay for the time it takes to update all modules, which will be several hours at the current labor rate in your area, then I'm sure they are not gonna refuse your money.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-24-2023 at 08:19 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by superswiss:
Jet007 (08-30-2023), MBGuy2022 (02-26-2023), Nice Ride (02-24-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 351 Likes on 214 Posts
15 S550 4Matic, 86 560SL
Contant forum member BenzNinja (Peter) and ask him if he can do it. It will be significantly cheaper than the dealership, if they can do it at all.
The following 2 users liked this post by cfmistry:
Nice Ride (02-24-2023), steinjr (02-25-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 08:39 PM

2019 S560 4MATIC Sedan
I'm going to make a list for myself of all the TSB's that apply to my 2019 222.186 vehicle with the 176.980 motor and 725.045 trans 4MATIC that have a software update. The TSB's describe exactly which vehicles apply and knowing your numbers is a must when determining which ones apply to your vehicle.
In that list will be the module names to be updated and what minimum version to be updated to along with the fix they accomplish.
From there I will see if I actually have the issue which usually you do if your software version is old and is the fix.
I guess then I will present them to Mercedes or BenzNinja.
I own an Autel MaxiDAS DS808 scan tool which will give me software version numbers of the 74 modules it checks for codes. That helps. This is probably the best thing I ever bought myself. The money saved just fixing my 2 other Mercedes using this device paid for itself <$450
Old 02-24-2023, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 196 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Exclamation

Originally Posted by superswiss
Don't even try. That's not how it works. There are three ways software updates are installed. Starting with MY2019, some updates are installed over-the-air. Those are currently mostly map updates, but they also fixed a recall for the communication module with an OTA update in 2021 and there was just another OTA update for the communication module. Newer models with MBUX have received updates for the Infotainment system, because it was and still is buggy. Most systems in the car cannot be updated with an OTA update at this point, though.

The second way of getting updates is if MB issues a service campaign. Those cover things that they want to fix on every sold car. These get installed when you bring the car in for service. When they check your VIN in their system the service campaigns will come up. Same for recalls that cannot be addressed via an OTA update.

The third way are updates that are installed in response to a specific complaint from the customer about something not working correctly.

I have received updates that fall into all three categories, but walking in and asking them to update all modules in the car to the latest software is not gonna happen. There are hundreds of modules in these cars. Unless there is a specific issue and an update that specifically resolves said issue they are not gonna update every single module. Whether your extended warranty covers software updates, depends on the exclusions of your warranty. Most extended warranties only cover mechanical parts. During the factory warranty this updates are all covered.

Generally speaking I believe in the old proverb "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I am a software engineer myself, but the cycle of updates has gone a bit crazy. Often an update introduces new bugs, that then need yet another update to fix the new bugs and so on. If I don't have any issues with my car, I don't want them to touch it, otherwise who knows what's next after they install an update for something that worked fine before.
Great response, I would like to add one more important item to your comments. Once they update software, you CANNOT GO BACK, so if the update does cause additional problems, you're stuck, They will usually inform you of this as well,
Old 02-24-2023, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 502 Likes on 375 Posts
222 S-65
OP get yourself set up with Peter... BenzNinja... and ask him to enable (jailbreak) Intelligent lighting, give the transmission sport+ mode, lose the speed limiter to start. Go through his menu and pick out all that you like. I’m pleased with the results in my car... though I have not had the opportunity to verify that the speed limiter is gone yet.
Old 02-25-2023, 12:30 AM

2019 S560 4MATIC Sedan
After a night of reviewing TSB's related to my car these are the modules that I want updated according to their TSB procedures.

Air Conditioning Control Unit - N22/1 - Intermittent A/C
PTCU - N127 - Fix for 25k service interval
HERMES Control Unit - N112/9 - Incorrect time and popping noise in speakers
Overhead Control Panel - Garage door opener programming problem
Door Control Units - LH & RH - N69/1 and N69/2 - Updating these modules seems to fix a lot of issues
EZS Controller - Remote start issue
WMI Control unit - N123/8 - iPhone not charging
COMAND Online Control Unit - A26/17 - Wrong date
Drivers Seat Control Unit - Easy exit Issue

That's 10 modules that could be updated if needed. I think that's easy enough to check individually and shouldn't cost the price of used Hyundai hopefully.
Old 02-25-2023, 04:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 196 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by MBGuy2022
After a night of reviewing TSB's related to my car these are the modules that I want updated according to their TSB procedures.

Air Conditioning Control Unit - N22/1 - Intermittent A/C
PTCU - N127 - Fix for 25k service interval
HERMES Control Unit - N112/9 - Incorrect time and popping noise in speakers
Overhead Control Panel - Garage door opener programming problem
Door Control Units - LH & RH - N69/1 and N69/2 - Updating these modules seems to fix a lot of issues
EZS Controller - Remote start issue
WMI Control unit - N123/8 - iPhone not charging
COMAND Online Control Unit - A26/17 - Wrong date
Drivers Seat Control Unit - Easy exit Issue

That's 10 modules that could be updated if needed. I think that's easy enough to check individually and shouldn't cost the price of used Hyundai hopefully.
As mentioned above, unless your vin is affected or you actually experience the issue, it is highly recommended you do not apply a patch / update. If the patch creates a new issue, you CANNOT GO BACK to the prior version of the software.
Old 02-25-2023, 06:35 PM

2019 S560 4MATIC Sedan
Originally Posted by cfmistry
Contant forum member BenzNinja (Peter) and ask him if he can do it. It will be significantly cheaper than the dealership, if they can do it at all.
Originally Posted by JohnLane
OP get yourself set up with Peter... BenzNinja... and ask him to enable (jailbreak) Intelligent lighting, give the transmission sport+ mode, lose the speed limiter to start. Go through his menu and pick out all that you like. I’m pleased with the results in my car... though I have not had the opportunity to verify that the speed limiter is gone yet.
I contacted BenzNinja. I feel I am going his route. For the money I believe this is the best way for someone like me with multiple Benz's. I will get SO MUCH MORE than software updates and a lifetime membership is cheaper than the dealer will charge for updating my software 1 time or the cost of my scan tool I already purchased. Forum members get a discount as well. I can't wait to see what the MB techs are seeing.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I have read all the responses in this thread and I agree with everyone's opinions here. As a 20 year GM tech I know what can go wrong. I have faith in MB software updates to fix issues and not cause new ones.
For those that state you can't go back I keep thinking "Just like my Apple products" but their updates are routine and are constantly updated. Those from MB are infrequent and have been tested by this point. If a bad update had been put out it has been pulled and replaced already. Most of these TSB's are already 2 years old or more for my 2019. With skill and patience I believe I can get done what I want now plus SO MUCH MORE.

I do want to Thank Superswiss for a great write up. I agree with you but I can't stop myself sometimes.

Last edited by MBGuy2022; 02-25-2023 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-26-2023, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 502 Likes on 375 Posts
222 S-65
Originally Posted by MBGuy2022
I contacted BenzNinja. I feel I am going his route. For the money I believe this is the best way for someone like me with multiple Benz's. I will get SO MUCH MORE than software updates and a lifetime membership is cheaper than the dealer will charge for updating my software 1 time or the cost of my scan tool I already purchased. Forum members get a discount as well. I can't wait to see what the MB techs are seeing.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I have read all the responses in this thread and I agree with everyone's opinions here. As a 20 year GM tech I know what can go wrong. I have faith in MB software updates to fix issues and not cause new ones.
For those that state you can't go back I keep thinking "Just like my Apple products" but their updates are routine and are constantly updated. Those from MB are infrequent and have been tested by this point. If a bad update had been put out it has been pulled and replaced already. Most of these TSB's are already 2 years old or more for my 2019. With skill and patience I believe I can get done what I want now plus SO MUCH MORE.

I do want to Thank Superswiss for a great write up. I agree with you but I can't stop myself sometimes.
When Peter changes software he will keep a backup of where you started. Any and all can be undone.

You will enjoy having Xentry and WIS. Lots that can be tested... Good stuff... and you will own the hardware. All your Mercedes can get molested.
The following 2 users liked this post by JohnLane:
MBGuy2022 (02-26-2023), Nice Ride (02-27-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 09:34 PM

2019 S560 4MATIC Sedan
I'm all set now. Started my BenzNinja membership and have ordered the necessary hardware.

This is by far the best option for an out of warranty vehicle!
The following users liked this post:
Nice Ride (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 610 Likes on 460 Posts
W212 FL
I agree, you did a sensible job .
Best of luck with your upgrades