S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Windshield question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2023, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S class
Windshield question

I need some help identifying this matrix coloration on the windshield (2018 S63). It's the passenger side upper section near the rear view mirror in the center. I literally replaced my windshield last week though insurance at the Mercedes dealership. $4500 total that is being processed as a reimbursement check (I hope).

As luck would have it, this happened today and it already running all the way down the windshield.

I need to know if anyone knows what this matrix with the rock chip part is related to? I'm assuming it won't function accurately if it's related to my driver's assistance, but also could he something less significant.

Can't wait to go through this insurance claim path again

Thanks!

Old 04-05-2023, 10:52 AM

Received 160 Likes on 113 Posts
S63, GLE580, Monster 1100S
That’s just the IR cutout for toll pass transponders, garage openers, radar detectors. Nothing to do with cameras or other safety systems.

Your insurance company is going to **** a brick when the next glass claim goes in but that’s what we pay extra for in glass coverage.

Last edited by vincheung; 04-05-2023 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-05-2023, 11:03 AM

S class
Originally Posted by vincheung
That’s just the IR cutout for toll pass transponders, garage openers, radar detectors. Nothing to do with cameras or other safety systems.

Your insurance company is going to **** a brick when the next glass claim goes in but that’s what we pay extra for in glass coverage.
I'm grateful to have glass coverage on my plan, but in all honesty, I'm skeptical that it doesn't effect my premiums. My insurance company (Progressive) states that although it's a claim, it doesn't increase my premiums because of it. I find that hard to believe. Would love it if it's true, but I have my doubts
Old 04-05-2023, 02:53 PM

Received 160 Likes on 113 Posts
S63, GLE580, Monster 1100S
I haven’t had two glass claims in a short time frame but two claims early into ownership. I had a month old ML that had its rear windshield smashed without explanation (Geico) no increase. More recently, my wife’s Macan S front windshield two weeks old ate a lug bolt total cost $3800 (StateFarm) without raised rates also.

I’ve been told by my StateFarm agent that the rate increase is based on the totality of circumstances, policy length, and bundling etc. since they want to keep us from moving. I think in your case, go ahead with the second claim and don’t look back. Even if the rate is increased, it would never go up to the point that it’ll offset the out of pocket cost. Plus it would probably go back down after a couple of renewal periods.
Old 04-06-2023, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 588 Likes on 428 Posts
222 S-65
My 222 S65 took a rock to the windshield and got replaced. OEM glass. Within a week the new window was cracked. Then twice. I figured... ‘Bad things happen in threes’ and sure enough... third crack within a month. Replacement #2 gets done. 45 days later it gets a chip at passenger side up in the corner. Becomes a 4” crack overnight that can’t grow. Grrrrr.... it will be there until another happens in my line of sight.
Insurance has not blinked an eye. Zero deductible for glass FTW. 24/7/365 dirt truck season here in Phoenix. Ahhhh
Old 04-06-2023, 11:34 AM

S class
Originally Posted by JohnLane
My 222 S65 took a rock to the windshield and got replaced. OEM glass. Within a week the new window was cracked. Then twice. I figured... ‘Bad things happen in threes’ and sure enough... third crack within a month. Replacement #2 gets done. 45 days later it gets a chip at passenger side up in the corner. Becomes a 4” crack overnight that can’t grow. Grrrrr.... it will be there until another happens in my line of sight.
Insurance has not blinked an eye. Zero deductible for glass FTW. 24/7/365 dirt truck season here in Phoenix. Ahhhh
I don't doubt insurance will cover it. But did you notice any "strange increase" in premiums during renewal? I already get yearly increases and always the excuse of "global market change due to increase costs of goods/parts". I'm curious if I get a crazy increase if it's due to multiple $4k windshields that will have an excuse of "market increase" again
Old 04-06-2023, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 588 Likes on 428 Posts
222 S-65
Originally Posted by pers785
I don't doubt insurance will cover it. But did you notice any "strange increase" in premiums during renewal? I already get yearly increases and always the excuse of "global market change due to increase costs of goods/parts". I'm curious if I get a crazy increase if it's due to multiple $4k windshields that will have an excuse of "market increase" again
My insurance dropped 30% last time. Two windshields. Hmmm.....