S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

W222 2014 Tiny Oil Pan at bottom of Oil Pan :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2023, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 196 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Smile W222 2014 Tiny Oil Pan at bottom of Oil Pan :)

For Years I have been using 1/2 can of SeaFoam or similar prior to Oil Change. This is a photo after Flush, Prior to Oil. Steps I Take: 1. Make sure Engine is Warm 2. Slowly Pour In 1/2 Can SeaFoam or Full Can. 3. Let idle for 10 to 15 Min.( DO NOT REV ENGINE" 4. Turn Off Engine. ( I let sit for 10 min } 5. Pull Dip Stick 6. Open and Change Oil Filter. 7. Drain Oil from Plug or Suction ( Full Flush / Drain for 2014 W222 is Exactly 9 Quarts.) *** Recommend you start with 7 and Add 8. Batten Hatches, Check oll after adding Oil. This Method removes ALL Varnish and keeps the tiny engine Valley's clean.
Totally not necessary for an oil change. This is just something i have been doing for over 20+ years on all vehicles with Success and keeps my OCD in Check.

Mini Pan from Bottom of Oil Pan

Looking Up into Oil Pan. Possibly soeone can chime in if you remove the Black Funnel will this give you access to the Oil Sump Screen for Checking / Cleaning?
50,000 Miles .... Clean as New... I do 5K Oil Changes also. Oil is so cheep at Walmart with free delivery. $21- 5 Quarts Free Delivery Mobile 1

Cleaned Pan

Note NUT connected to pan to allow you to insert a bolt so the pan prys open.
So yesterday I removed the Small Black Pan on the Bottom of the Oil Pan. Finally answers to a few questions about Plug Drain Vs. Suction Oil Change.

The Sub Pan holds about a cup of oil. It is Lower than the Drain Plug so the Oil Change via the Suction Method if done properly is Superior to Drain Plug.

Will post Photos shortly.

Last edited by Nice Ride; 04-26-2023 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Photos Added
Old 04-25-2023, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Added Photos..
Old 04-26-2023, 01:37 AM

Received 158 Likes on 92 Posts
All Cars Lost To Hurricane Isaac (W124 E420 revived - added 88 Allante 14 S550, 17 S63
This is really good to share, I saw this in a video 5 or so years ago, and I started using the dipstick at that time. But i've not seen it in the forum (forgive me for not seeing every thread).
Ironically,
that last 1/2 inch or so cannot be removed as the diptube has the slots to ensure the tube doesnt seal against the mini pan bottom, so once the oil level gets juuuuuust below that slot level you will suck air and no more fluid.. leaving a small trace every time. and the plug wont help either. frequent oil changes will make this a near non-issue... infrequent and it becomes a mini pan of sludge and heavies

(in pondering this, it may glean as to whether the oil has been properly maintained.... if someone made the effort to remove it to check...... eeeehhhh maybe not !!! )

still this is at least equal to the plug method, and certainly not a less thorough procedure.

great pics also.. thank you .

Originally Posted by Nice Ride
Added Photos..
The following users liked this post:
Nice Ride (04-26-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by kafklatsch
This is really good to share, I saw this in a video 5 or so years ago, and I started using the dipstick at that time. But i've not seen it in the forum (forgive me for not seeing every thread).
Ironically,
that last 1/2 inch or so cannot be removed as the diptube has the slots to ensure the tube doesnt seal against the mini pan bottom, so once the oil level gets juuuuuust below that slot level you will suck air and no more fluid.. leaving a small trace every time. and the plug wont help either. frequent oil changes will make this a near non-issue... infrequent and it becomes a mini pan of sludge and heavies

(in pondering this, it may glean as to whether the oil has been properly maintained.... if someone made the effort to remove it to check...... eeeehhhh maybe not !!! )

still this is at least equal to the plug method, and certainly not a less thorough procedure.

great pics also.. thank you .
So the black tube is where the DipStick resides? The Funnel with the slots is still lower that the Oil Drain Plug. For sure you will get more oil out during a change with the Suction Method using a Tube Down the Dip hitting the bottom of the pan. At least the scary question is answered. Not sure what Mercedes Uses ( Equipment Wise for Suction Method ) Do they have something that goes all the way to the bottom or just a strong suction that connects to the dip stick partial way down...