Any hub centric ring recommendations?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2023, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 CLK 320
Any hub centric ring recommendations?

Hello, any hub centric ring recommendations?
Old 05-07-2023, 04:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 691 Likes on 513 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Amazon has plastic and metal ones from many suppliers.

I Cannot think how one could be better then another if machined to correct dims to simple of a part for some CNC machine shop.
Old 05-07-2023, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 320
Thanks, wasn't sure about the quality of the ones on Amazon so was reaching out to see if anyone had any recommendations. I agree with having one machined but I'm on a time crunch, 4 weeks before putting my car on a ship.
Old 05-07-2023, 03:26 PM

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 Glb35 AMG (2013 GLK 350)
I went for Bonoss from China, TUV & SGS certified (bought previously, just installed 2 weeks ago): www.bonoss.com

Eibach and H&R recommended also as below:
https://www.nickscarblog.com/reviews...-for-the-track

If your spacers are cheaply made – you get what you pay for, and if your spacers crack and break, your wheel will wobble and quickly break itself free from the car. This is not an area you want to skimp on, so buy quality spacers from known brands to ensure you are not putting yourself at risk for failure. Your wheels get very hot and absorb a lot of stress & trauma, and will fail at the weakest point – so don’t make your spacers the weakest link. Stick to the big brands like Eibach, H&R and the like for the safest route.

Also safety tip that shows that why high quality spacers is important:

From Bonoss:

What Would Cause Wheel Spacers Failure?

Most of the reasons that cause a wheel spacer to fail are the quality of the spacer itself. Before shopping for spacers, check carefully if they are forged billet aluminum, cast aluminum, steel, or titanium. Specifically, the forged aluminum spacers are significantly stronger and safer than cast aluminum. When facing fierce impacts, cast aluminum spacers would most likely lead to failure. Stay away from those cheap casting wheel spacers. If you are going to install slip-on type wheel spacers, you will need longer wheel bolts for the full thread engagement.

If properly installed, then there should be no wheel spacers failure issues. Two common problems may lead to failure, but people are easy to overlook. They are the loosen lug nuts and the bending wheel studs. Untightened or overtightened lug nuts will cause most lugs failures, hence they become loose and ultimately leading to the entire wheel coming off. The wheel studs use a clamping force to secure the spacers and wheels. If the studs are not strong enough to support this force, they will likely be bent by road impacts. Use wheel spacers with high-strength wheel studs (grade 12.9) and lug nuts (grade 10). Higher-strength wheel lugs provide stronger load-bearing capacity and less chance of wheel spacers failure.

Last edited by Serhan; 05-07-2023 at 03:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Williams707 (05-07-2023)
Old 05-07-2023, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 320
Thanks, I'm a huge H&R Fan, need just hub centric rings and not spacers. On my previous custom W208 I had H&R Springs and F/R Sway bars. I didn't see any hub centric rings on H&R website for W222.
ygmn (05-09-2023)
Old 05-07-2023, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 335 Likes on 249 Posts
2016 S550, 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid
Interesting video ... first thought I have is once the wheel bolts are torqued to spec, doesn't that force the chamfer on the spacer to become adequately seated to the wheel bore? Seems very little movement would be possible when the entire assembly is clamped in that manner.

I have 15 mm spacers on the rear on my car and I have to go all around with a mallet driving them down into the wheel bore to fully seat. Next time I have the wheels off I'll try the paper test and see how well they're actually seating.
Williams707 (05-07-2023)
Old 05-07-2023, 08:03 PM

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 Glb35 AMG (2013 GLK 350)
For wheels, I looked for 66.6mm hub size in order not to create another failing point, so I was thinking the spacers... It should be similar to spacers eg good material quality and machining. I saw couple YouTube videos about plastic rings creating vibration on BMW vehicles with similar comments on the follow ups... He listed below ones as the ones fixed the vibration:
Amazon Amazon

Another video is saying metal rings are problem when there is corrosion. But again another blog is happy about metal ones:
https://www.edelalon.com/blog/2020/0...c-vs-aluminum/
  • Plastic rings tend to wear out
  • Plastic rings tend to break down in high temperatures
  • Aluminum rings reduce the vibration
  • Aluminum rings are great for performance applications
  • Aluminum rings are more resistant to high temperatures
  • Aluminum rings will wear out and put material on your hub
Circuit performance has both options, so you can call and ask them also:
https://circuitperformance.com/produ...centric-rings/

Originally Posted by Williams707
Thanks, I'm a huge H&R Fan, need just hub centric rings and not spacers. On my previous custom W208 I had H&R Springs and F/R Sway bars. I didn't see any hub centric rings on H&R website for W222.
Williams707 (05-07-2023)
Old 05-07-2023, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 320
Originally Posted by Serhan
For wheels, I looked for 66.6mm hub size in order not to create another failing point, so I was thinking the spacers... It should be similar to spacers eg good material quality and machining. I saw couple YouTube videos about plastic rings creating vibration on BMW vehicles with similar comments on the follow ups... He listed below ones as the ones fixed the vibration:
Amazon Amazon

Another video is saying metal rings are problem when there is corrosion. But again another blog is happy about metal ones:
https://www.edelalon.com/blog/2020/0...c-vs-aluminum/
  • Plastic rings tend to wear out
  • Plastic rings tend to break down in high temperatures
  • Aluminum rings reduce the vibration
  • Aluminum rings are great for performance applications
  • Aluminum rings are more resistant to high temperatures
  • Aluminum rings will wear out and put material on your hub
Circuit performance has both options, so you can call and ask them also:
https://circuitperformance.com/produ...centric-rings/
Thank you Sir for the information!! I'll need to take off the rim to measure the inside diameter.
Old 05-09-2023, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 691 Likes on 513 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
As for MAterial.
There are plenty of plastics that can take high temps a wheel would see as well as metals...

I have plastic rings one one of our JEeps and they work fine.

My guess is the wheel would fail before ring since it sees all the load and the rings get a bunch of help from the Lug bolts or nuts.

True issue is you want them TIGHT in the wheel and Tight around the hub throughout the temp range.
These materials have dfferent thermal expansion rates,
Hub made from Steel
Centric ring made from YOUR Choice material
Wheel can be one of hundreds of aluminum alloy, some magnesium alloy, Carbon Fiber (Well I bet someone does), steel.
Then is it forged or stamped or turned or what....

Enough Engineering talk.

Just buy the tightest fitting one and drive.
No wheel is mounted perfectly centric with wheel hub rotating center unless mounted on some tapered hub machined to a nats butt of bearing bores.

so I could see wheels a few thousandths of inch off.
Williams707 (05-09-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 320
Thank you Sir!!, I like engineering talk. lol