Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 S450
First time poster - Noise issue on 2018 S450

Hi all,

First time poster here.

Always have been a huge fan of s class, starting from the 90s. Never thought I would be able to own a Mercedes let alone a S class. I’m very grateful to have owned 2. Living in NYC, I avoid buying new cars. Especially with parking challenges (usually parking at a 3rd party garage, paying much as rent). However, I try to buy CPO from MB dealers to have small piece of mind.

I currently own a 2018 S450. I love the car but I’m experiencing few noise issues that is annoying the crap out of me.

The car has a hair less than 30k miles and I just declined to extend the warranty since MB was asking for almost $4k. It’s a weekend car for the family.

1st noise issue:
I always noticed a noise, sounds like a fan sound from the engine. It’s rapid ticking sound that is more prevalent when idling. I remember a similar sound from my previous S class, 2015 S550. Is this a typical noise from W222 models? MB said this was normal but wanted a 2nd opinion from the owners.

2nd noise issue:
This noise started around a thousand miles back (@29k mark). It’s a buzzing noise from the dashboard, mid to passenger side, when I start the engine. It does go away after a bit but now it comes back for a bit when driving. It almost sounds like a distorted electronic buzzing with consistent noise level. Searching the forum, I did see some similar issues but nothing exact.

3rd noise issue:
After driving, parked at idle, I noticed that the engine fan kicks on at super duper speed. Sounds like a rocket engine. It goes back to normal speed after a minute or two. The engine temp doesn’t go beyond little over half way mark. MB had the car and said they saw nothing wrong but still irritating.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

joe

2018 S450 with Trim package

Old 09-04-2023, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 990 Likes on 725 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
On noise 1 I suspect that it is the injectors and it is normal. I am thinking the noise number 3 is normal as well assuming that it is hot out and you have the AC on. Very good looking car BTW.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 09-04-2023 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-04-2023, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 S450
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
On noise 1 I suspect that it is the injectors and it is normal. I am thinking the noise number 3 is normal as well assuming that it is hot out and you have the AC on. Very good looking car BTW.
Thank you for your response and comment. It’s reassuring to hear!

I cringe of any noise now that my warranty has expired.

Joe