S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

ABC or MBC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 11:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
EQB250
ABC or MBC

I m still waiting to finalise my 2017 S500 purchase ...in the equipment list, it says 487 ABC Suspension ( Active Body Control) ...does it mean this car doesn't have MBC for sure ? I thought all RWD W222 has MBC instead of ABC?
I tried to search and although found many posts and articles couldn't find the confirmed answer ;(
Old 09-13-2023, 04:58 AM

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Mercedes S550
My understanding is that from 2014 on, the ABC was not available as a stand-alone option, but was offered as the MBC option. The MBC (with the camera function) only works during the day, and only on the Comfort setting. So, at night, you have the same functioning as the older ABC, on either Comfort or Sport. You have the option of essentially "turning off" the cameras, and having the "old" ABC, during daylight hours, when you switch to the firmer Sport setting.

We love the MBC, even though the ride is not as sporty, but it's kinda cloud-like in how it detects and offsets road irregularities.

Hope that helps, and I think that it's totally accurate.
The following 2 users liked this post by George A.:
Mason.Safari (09-13-2023), Streamliner (09-15-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 05:40 AM

EQB250
Originally Posted by George A.
My understanding is that from 2014 on, the ABC was not available as a stand-alone option, but was offered as the MBC option. The MBC (with the camera function) only works during the day, and only on the Comfort setting. So, at night, you have the same functioning as the older ABC, on either Comfort or Sport. You have the option of essentially "turning off" the cameras, and having the "old" ABC, during daylight hours, when you switch to the firmer Sport setting.

We love the MBC, even though the ride is not as sporty, but it's kinda cloud-like in how it detects and offsets road irregularities.

Hope that helps, and I think that it's totally accurate.
thanks, it's really helpful
so i guess although i have ABC on the equipment list...i should have MBC as essentially MBC is just an add on ( Camera) to ABC ....
I did some test drive but was really short to get the ride feeling ...my wife EQB is really smooth and cloud like and I m sure it doesn't have ABC ....so can't wait to experience my S 500 ride

Old 09-13-2023, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 645 Likes on 422 Posts
Last 5 years: S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:15'S550, 20'BMW X7; 19'BMW 530e; 20'Lincoln Navigator,LS460
MBC comes with camera that detects road bumps or ups/downs so it can control and adapt the suspension accordingly to absorb these road bumps. ABC is “almost” the same system but without the camera. ABC relies on live suspension data to adapt asap in a fraction of a second, but MBC detects those a bit in advance using the camera to scan the road. Also, NOT all RWD have MBC.

Option 487 on the 2017 is actually MBC (magic body control). If the vin decoding shows ABC, ignore it. Option 487 is for sure the $4,450 option for MBC. If you live in areas where 4-matic and winter driving conditions are important, 4-Matic vehicles would hold more value than RWD with MBC, just keep that in mind. MBC is nice, but don’t expect magic. I still chose 4-Matic over RWD MBC; but that depends on your priorities. I had two W222 in the past 7 years. The first one I had in 2019 was a RWD, and I had really really hard time when were living in the Chicago area (most people won’t even consider a high-end car like that if it’s RWD in an area with 4-Matic or 4-wheel drive is a must have in that price range); especially when almost every other W222 is a 4-Matic. My 2nd W222 was 4-Matic and worked really well for my needs during winter. Good winter tires may still solve some* of the issues with RWD though.

I found some of the W222 added options to be gimmicky, but there are 4-5 options I’d never consider another W222 or Mbenz without them now that I tried them: 1. Headup display; 2. 3D Burmester, 3. Magic Sky Control, 4. Rear executive seats, (the bench not the one with a tunner), and 5. For sure the semi-aniline leather interior. As far as (MBC, rear screens entertainment which iPad might work better for you, and night vision), I feel anyone can live without those or won’t even mind not having any of them. They are good to have if u find a car that priced the same without them. I also appreciated a lot the front heated windshield added option on the W222 and found it super useful if you live in cold areas. Should have been standard on every car since it costs 500 USD only to add when brand new (HUD is a must to add heated windshield).

Last edited by S_W222; 09-13-2023 at 12:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mason.Safari (09-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 12:31 PM

EQB250
Originally Posted by S_W222
MBC comes with camera that detects road bumps or ups/downs so it can control and adapt the suspension accordingly to absorb these road bumps. ABC is “almost” the same system but without the camera. ABC relies on live suspension data to adapt asap in a fraction of a second, but MBC detects those a bit in advance using the camera to scan the road. Also, NOT all RWD have MBC.

Option 487 on the 2017 is actually MBC (magic body control). If the vin decoding shows ABC, ignore it. Option 487 is for sure the $4,450 option for MBC. If you live in areas where 4-matic and winter driving conditions are important, 4-Matic vehicles would hold more value than RWD with MBC, just keep that in mind. MBC is nice, but don’t expect magic. I still chose 4-Matic over RWD MBC; but that depends on your priorities. I had two W222 in the past 7 years. The first one I had in 2019 was a RWD, and I had really really hard time when were living in the Chicago area (most people won’t even consider a high-end car like that if it’s RWD in an area with 4-Matic or 4-wheel drive is a must have in that price range); especially when almost every other W222 is a 4-Matic. My 2nd W222 was 4-Matic and worked really well for my needs during winter. Good winter tires may still solve some* of the issues with RWD though.

I found some of the W222 added options to be gimmicky, but there are 4-5 options I’d never consider another W222 or Mbenz without them now that I tried them: 1. Headup display; 2. 3D Burmester, 3. Magic Sky Control, 4. Rear executive seats, (the bench not the one with a tunner), and 5. For sure the semi-aniline leather interior. As far as (MBC, rear screens entertainment which iPad might work better for you, and night vision), I feel anyone can live without those or won’t even mind not having any of them. They are good to have if u find a car that priced the same without them. I also appreciated a lot the front heated windshield added option on the W222 and found it super useful if you live in cold areas. Should have been standard on every car since it costs 500 USD only to add when brand new (HUD is a must to add heated windshield).
thanks for the info
Fortunately we didn’t have snow in Stdney for more than 90 years, …unfortunately the car I’m buying doesn’t have any options you mentioned
Old 09-13-2023, 03:47 PM

Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts
2016 S550e, 2005 Nissan Xterra 4x4, 1984 300ZX
Mine doesn't either and you will stll love the car. If you never hard the 3D you will not miss it and since I have people in my rear seats very infrequently I do not miss it. When I do have people in they are still very impressed with the comfort and luxury.
The following users liked this post:
Mason.Safari (09-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 04:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,951 Likes on 3,108 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Mason.Safari
I m still waiting to finalise my 2017 S500 purchase ...in the equipment list, it says 487 ABC Suspension ( Active Body Control) ...does it mean this car doesn't have MBC for sure ? I thought all RWD W222 has MBC instead of ABC?
I tried to search and although found many posts and articles couldn't find the confirmed answer ;(
What is the VIN?
Old 09-13-2023, 05:39 PM

EQB250
Originally Posted by chassis
What is the VIN?
WDD2220822A282048
Old 09-13-2023, 08:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
You have ABC, option code 487.

https://www.lastvin.com/vin/oaz1nGEyVDR2xv67l
Old 09-13-2023, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Last 5 years: S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:15'S550, 20'BMW X7; 19'BMW 530e; 20'Lincoln Navigator,LS460
You have ABC, option code 487.

https://www.lastvin.com/vin/oaz1nGEyVDR2xv67l
Something is weird about this car... it has the 851 Black AMG Nappa Leather option, but it is not an AMG S63 car..... And of course it is NOT an S63, because MBC is not available on S63 at the first place.
Also, even though the vin decoding tool you shared is showing ABC... 2014 2017 W222 does NOT come with ABC... They only have MBC as an option, understanding that ABC and MBC are not the same. This car has MBC.
Old 09-13-2023, 10:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
This vehicle allegedly has MBC and has code 4A7. What buttons or indications to the driver are related to MBC and ABC?

WDDXJ8FB2HA028347

https://www.infinitiofenglewood.com/...j8fb2ha028347/
Old 09-14-2023, 02:52 PM

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts
Mercedes S560
This vehicle allegedly has MBC and has code 4A7. What buttons or indications to the driver are related to MBC and ABC?

WDDXJ8FB2HA028347

https://www.infinitiofenglewood.com/...j8fb2ha028347/

Replying to the above quote - Drawing on my experiences with a '12 S 450 and my current '1 8 S560, I feel this way:
1. Due to my constant usage of trifocal Polaroid sunglasses, HUD is useless to me. Waste of $$.
2. Never turn on my radio for lots of reasons, especially hard of hearing - don't care about the quality. Waste of $$.
3. Never open the roof. Waste of $$.
4. Rear seat accoutrements. Unimportant to me.

The only reason I put this up is to illustrate how differently our various needs and pleasures can vary from one extreme or the other - so everyone should do as he wishes.

Re: 4-matic vs MBC on my '18. We have snows every year here along the Ohio River in northern Kentucky. I went against dealer advice (they had never sold an '18 with MBC, so didn't know what they were talking about.) and I insisted on MBC rather than 4-Matic. Best decision I ever made.

Sure - ask for suggestions. But, do what you want to do, you don't have to play Follow the Leader.

Old 09-14-2023, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Lou B

Replying to the above quote - Drawing on my experiences with a '12 S 450 and my current '1 8 S560, I feel this way:
1. Due to my constant usage of trifocal Polaroid sunglasses, HUD is useless to me. Waste of $$.
2. Never turn on my radio for lots of reasons, especially hard of hearing - don't care about the quality. Waste of $$.
3. Never open the roof. Waste of $$.
4. Rear seat accoutrements. Unimportant to me.

The only reason I put this up is to illustrate how differently our various needs and pleasures can vary from one extreme or the other - so everyone should do as he wishes.

Re: 4-matic vs MBC on my '18. We have snows every year here along the Ohio River in northern Kentucky. I went against dealer advice (they had never sold an '18 with MBC, so didn't know what they were talking about.) and I insisted on MBC rather than 4-Matic. Best decision I ever made.

Sure - ask for suggestions. But, do what you want to do, you don't have to play Follow the Leader.
Agreed that personal preference vary. However, if you are one of those who sell his cars once he is done with it to get the most value out of it as a private sale particularly, without 4-Matic in certain markets and likely HUD, it will be a VERY VERY hard sale. The other options I listed would be a plus. I just sold my car, fully loaded with even more of these. and with all these options, it sold within days only for the full asking price with 5 pending buyers, yet it was listed for a very good price for me as the seller. So, sometimes it is more of strategy than anything else. Semi-aniline interior leather takes the interior cabin to a complete different level, so i don't see that as a waste of money personally. Worth every penny for the soft leather and seating texture+apperance. It holds against wear and tear way better also just because of the diamond high density stitching that keeps leather in place too, unlike the standard one. However, for buying new, those could be a waste of money if u do not use them, but in the used car market, I would still never get a car without them, first cause I do use them and 2nd for the re-sale timing and value. Without some of these options, u might be force to go the dealer sale approach, meaning u will likely get less for your car as it's hard to sell in the private sale market (especially without 4-Matic in some states, and am talking from experience with a previous W222 I had a few years ago and sold a few years ago).
Old 09-14-2023, 08:30 PM

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts
Mercedes S560
Originally Posted by S_W222
Agreed that personal preference vary. However, if you are one of those who sell his cars once he is done with it to get the most value out of it as a private sale particularly, without 4-Matic in certain markets and likely HUD, it will be a VERY VERY hard sale. The other options I listed would be a plus. I just sold my car, fully loaded with even more of these. and with all these options, it sold within days only for the full asking price with 5 pending buyers, yet it was listed for a very good price for me as the seller. So, sometimes it is more of strategy than anything else. Semi-aniline interior leather takes the interior cabin to a complete different level, so i don't see that as a waste of money personally. Worth every penny for the soft leather and seating texture+apperance. It holds against wear and tear way better also just because of the diamond high density stitching that keeps leather in place too, unlike the standard one. However, for buying new, those could be a waste of money if u do not use them, but in the used car market, I would still never get a car without them, first cause I do use them and 2nd for the re-sale timing and value. Without some of these options, u might be force to go the dealer sale approach, meaning u will likely get less for your car as it's hard to sell in the private sale market (especially without 4-Matic in some states, and am talking from experience with a previous W222 I had a few years ago and sold a few years ago).
Once again, everyone has his own life to live. I drive a car until I decide to get another one - and never worry about the trade-in value. Right now, in my dotage, I find it hard to believe I'll want to trade my '18 S560, that just turned 30,000 miles, for anything MB is offering in an S class.