S560 Cylinders 5, 6 & 8 Misfires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 05:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
S560 Cylinders 5, 6 & 8 Misfires

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I didn't want to post in a similar topic thread from @Quenthel and hijack it, and I can certainly relate to your experiences, with CEL & the entire car shaking due to misfires, I'll be following your updates!

I have a 2020 S560 (V8) and also get misfires, but on cylinders 5, 6 & 8 for the past 2 years, the car only has 63k kilometers on it, and I bought it with 16k. I've had the coil packs, injectors and spark plugs replaced, compression & borescope tests done numerous times. Both Mercedes Romania & Germany have brought out technicians to investigate the issue, taken all the engine data for analysis and so far the underlying issue can't be identified. The car is in the shop today getting the fuel filter replaced, and additional tests since the misfire has been happening almost weekly during the summer, some days it occurs one after the other (have a misfire, pull over and "reboot" the car, start to drive away and the misfire happens again). If the fuel filter doesn't fix it, the ECU will be replaced next.

A few months ago the dealer was finally able to replicate the misfire, while driving the car and taking the engine to 5400 RPM, however the misfiring isn't related to only high engine RPM, I've encountered it while coasting in traffic, slowing down (braking). I did notice a few weeks ago, that while trying to accelerate, there was a ~3 second hesitation from the moment I put my foot on the gas pedal and to when the car started to accelerate, and then it misfired. I try to keep some mental notes to the engine RPM, fuel tank level, and any abnormal engine hesitation prior to a misfire happening. I started to see a trend where most of the misfires would happen when the tank was between 1/2 and 3/4 full, not every time mind you, but generally in that range and more frequent misfires during the summer months compared to winter.

I usually use 100 RON fuel (95 RON if 100 is not available), and it doesn't make a difference to stop misfires, misfires seem to happen with 95 or 100 RON.

I'm at the point where I'm discussing with Mercedes to buy the car back as it's no longer enjoyable to drive due to the thought always in the back of your head, will it misfire today, and it forces you to change your driving style. No longer do I stomp on the accelerator to pass a semi truck or slow moving vehicle on the highway, I look for a long gap now, just in case the misfire happens during passing (the deceleration due to a 3 cylinder misfire is like hitting a brick wall, and the car cannot maintain the current speed, or accelerate, you must slow down and pull in back behind the vehicle you were overtaking, while hoping that nobody is behind you, also trying to overtake a slow vehicle).

Does anyone else have any suggestions or experience with this, I love the car, but not the misfires and don't necessarily want to get rid of it, but don't know what else to do?
The following users liked this post:
Quenthel (09-15-2023)
Old 09-16-2023, 04:40 AM

Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts
S560 Long 4Matic (DE) MY 2018
Hey Meriz,

Sad to hear you suffer from misfires, though in your case I think the problem might be worse than mine. In my case, it would misfire, hesitate for a bit and then I'd assume it turned that cylinder off because it would start shaking like jello, constantly. You seem to suffer from random misfires and on random cylinders.

I am far from a mechanic; couldn't change a spark plug without losing a screw or two, but if they cannot identify the issue easily, it can get time consuming and expensive based on what I was told about possible scenarios with mine:

1. They would first check the coils & spark plugs, because those were easy to remove. That's where we stopped,
2. Then they would have to disassemble the engine a bit more, to get to the injectors,
3. Then they would have to check the fuel filters,
4. Then do a compression test (IIRC),
5. Potentially needing a new cylinder head. That last part can get quite expensive in parts, not to mention labour.

Were I you, I would probably give it back, unless they can offer some warranty in case it happens again, just to be sure it won't cause worse damage down the line. Good luck with it and hope they will resolve it.
Old 05-30-2024, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 s560 cabriolet
Hi ,

I hope you can read my reply .

i have a 2018-2019 s560 cabriolet, 35k km so far , and already had 5,8 misfired , and cel is on again , waiting to check the code on next Monday .

just want to know how did you manage to fix your problem?

thanks
Old 05-30-2024, 05:04 PM
VII

Received 94 Likes on 73 Posts
2016 S65, 2014 SLK55 (Previous 2013 SLK350, 2008 CLS63, 2006 E350, 2006 CLS500, 2005 C230K)
Always same cylinders?
Also happens when low or no throttle?
I can see why they are thinking to replace DME, unlikely to be fuel delivery with those symptoms.