S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Exclusive nappa leather seam issue CPO?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 03:02 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 S550 4MATIC (W222), 2012 GLK350 (X204), 2008 CLK350 cabriolet (A209), 2011 E350 (W212)
Exclusive nappa leather seam issue CPO?

I know “trim” isn’t usually covered under cpo, but I had a E350 with the wood trim UV coating issue and cpo covered replacing entire trim package throughout the car. I also had luck having it cover the bulbs of my door handles and puddle lamps, plus the installation even though I’d think of those as a limited life item.

I have a sticking cup holder door - not covered and wanted $1000 for the part and repair.

brings me to my question -
I can’t believe this workmanship issue has surfaced but my driver seat leather is pulling apart from the rear surface material - ie coming apart at the seam under that cover. One would think this should be covered and ill have the dealer check - but curious if others have had success or a similar issue. It’s clear this wasn’t caused by something sharp or something driver was wearing - it isn’t easily noticed or accessible as the location happens to be right beside the console box area.
Old 09-19-2023, 09:35 AM

Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts
S560 Long 4Matic (DE) MY 2018
Originally Posted by frostsdad
I have a sticking cup holder door - not covered and wanted $1000 for the part and repair.
I regularly apply a leather cleaner & leather coat (from Gyeon) in order to avoid bubbling from the leather thanks to the supposed UV protection it has. Mine is the standard Nappa, so many areas are merely vinyl, rather than leather, but according to the instructions is works all the same (or one can use a vinyl coat for these areas).

Regarding the door, I have a similar issue on the console compartment in the middle (the one that opens both ways). One side opens normally but closes with a bit of pressure, the other hesitates to open and closes easily. Mercedes (CH) told me that this is covered under the warranty, since it's the mechanism rather than the trim. I would expect Mercedes US to honour the warranty since it's not really "trim". I may be talking nonsense since I am not sure if this applies to US warranties, but it wouldn't hurt to have a look through the CPO terms and giving them a call.