S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Update on suspension clunk, front shocks for sale now

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 08:35 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
2001 BMW 750il, 2018 Audi A6 SC, 2015 S550 LWB, 2007 Audi S8
Unhappy Update on suspension clunk, front shocks for sale now

Hello. I have posted here, few weeks ago about the front suspension thud/clunk on mu 2015 S550 4matic.
Replaced, sway bar bushings and links. Replaced front shocks, no change.
When I took the shocks off, I checked the upper control arms, they are perfect, as well as bottom control arms.
Motor mounts are not leaking oil and I don't get any vibration, starting, idling or restarting.
If I coast in neutral, I would also get the thump.
Thump only happens on uneven road or if I sway the car left to right on slow speed. Hwy driving is perfect.
I am completely baffled. Now since I have replaced the front shocks, which were perfect, I need to sell them. They have 68.000 miles on them, OEM, perfect condition, never leaked. I don't even know what they are worth or if anyone needs them? Just took a look on eBay and used they go for around $600 USD.
If anyone is interested for a pair of perfect front air shocks (no ABC), please let me know. Located in Hamilton, Canada.
Old 10-16-2023, 08:28 AM

To update. Over the weekend I had a friend come over and help me diagnose the thump in the front end. Work I have done so far: Replaced stabilizer bar links and bushings. Replaced front shocks. Thump still there. Front end is rock solid, no movement anywhere. I have raised the car on the ramps so I can get under it. Had a buddy open the front door and push against the roof line to rock the car to mimic the car motion. And, the thump was there. I went under the car and was able to see and feel where the problem was. Well, brand new stabilizer bar links were *****. Felt the play and knock in both sides, which I could not reproduce with the wheels up in the air. So, burned money on the new shocks, stabilizer bar bushings and stabilizer links. Links I am going to try to warranty and new ones I have ordered from the dealer. Stay tuned for the update tomorrow.
Old 10-17-2023, 05:08 PM

Clunk solved

I have replaced the sway bar links that I have replaced already in April this year. This time I bought them from dealer. Clunk is officially gone. Car drives like brand new again. Thank you all for of your comments.