S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Rattling from passenger door/speaker

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 03:38 PM

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 S 450
Rattling from passenger door/speaker

Had this car for 22 months now. Drove it 36k miles so far. It has a total of 84k miles on the odometer. In the last few months I have noticed a rattle coming from the general area of the speaker on the passenger door. Might have started after I blew a tire on a giant pothole at 80/mph on I-95 back in July or might be just something that started for a number of other reasons.

It’s a minor rattle that will stop if you press your hand against the area where it comes from. Still, since I drive on highways 90% of the time and on smoother surfaces is exactly when the rattle appears and since the car is otherwise so quiet, it’s driving me nuts.

So what do you guys think… As far as cost and quality of service, should I just take it to an independent shop and have the remove the door panel or should I ask the dealership to do it next time the car is in for service?

It’s an easy fix but it won’t be covered under warranty and I don’t want to spend an unreasonable amount of money doing it. Is this the kind of thing you guys would be comfortable doing at “any” independent shop?

Old 11-07-2023, 03:58 PM

Received 156 Likes on 132 Posts
S560/LS460/Q70L 5.6 AWD
Take a look on Youtube, there is a video on how to remove the front, passenger, door panel, it is easy, you can probably do it in your garage.
A body shop could also do it. The dealer will charge you a lot of $....
Old 11-07-2023, 06:29 PM

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 S 450
Originally Posted by tx170754
Take a look on Youtube, there is a video on how to remove the front, passenger, door panel, it is easy, you can probably do it in your garage.
A body shop could also do it. The dealer will charge you a lot of $....
Thanks. Looks doable

Worst case scenario, I take it to the shop after if I screw up
The following users liked this post:
C Swenson (11-07-2023)