Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 05:35 PM
srh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 S550, 2016 GL350
Car Play Installation Help

Hello, All
I just purchased and am in the process of installing CarPlay/AA from Thecarplayer.com, previously known as IndyWork. I do not have the wiring diagram nor have I been able to locate one online. I got it installed, but used others' videos and instructions. I somewhat guessed as to how it should be wired. The only question I have is how to connect their Aux-In/USB wirings. I have enclosed a picture of the way I have it, but am not 100% positive. I have written a couple of emails to the company, but so far to no avail. If anyone has any familiarity and can offer any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.
This is my question: Do I have Aux-In and the USB connected properly?

This is what my installation in process looks like. I hate to close everything not knowing if I have it wired correctly.

Thanks, in advance, for your help!
BTW: This is for my new to me 2014 S550 -W222

Last edited by srh; 11-21-2023 at 05:42 PM. Reason: add some clarification
Old 11-21-2023, 10:13 PM

Received 120 Likes on 78 Posts
2014 S550, 2007 S600
You do not have it connected correctly. The female USB is meant to be wired into the cabin to give you a place to plug your phone in for wired CarPlay. The aux to male USB is supposed to be wired through the center console and plugged into one of the USB ports.
Old 11-21-2023, 10:30 PM
srh

2014 S550, 2016 GL350
Originally Posted by joeshannon095
You do not have it connected correctly. The female USB is meant to be wired into the cabin to give you a place to plug your phone in for wired CarPlay. The aux to male USB is supposed to be wired through the center console and plugged into one of the USB ports.
Thank you for chiming in.
I have done two other vehicles (2018 Toyota RAV4, and my wife's 2016 GL350). The control boxes, however, for both including some wires in the harness were different. There is a nice installation video by GAT Car Kit, but this one I have looks different. The other challenge is that you can't test it without putting it all together, I think, as the controls are on the center armrest. Would you happen to have a diagram?

I think, if I connect the male usb into ubs inside the armrest, that would leave the female usb free to be used.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your feedback!

Last edited by srh; 11-21-2023 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2023, 01:01 AM

2014 S550, 2007 S600
Originally Posted by srh
Thank you for chiming in.
I have done two other vehicles (2018 Toyota RAV4, and my wife's 2016 GL350). The control boxes, however, for both including some wires in the harness were different. There is a nice installation video by GAT Car Kit, but this one I have looks different. The other challenge is that you can't test it without putting it all together, I think, as the controls are on the center armrest. Would you happen to have a diagram?

I think, if I connect the male usb into ubs inside the armrest, that would leave the female usb free to be used.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your feedback!

Unfortunately I don't have one. This video should help. Do you have the rear seat entertainment system? I tested mine before completely re-assembling my center console, Just make sure the command system and command knob control panel is plugged back in.
Old 11-22-2023, 07:55 AM
srh

2014 S550, 2016 GL350
joeshannon095: Thanks, again for your help! This video is what I used pretty much exclusively. I will do what you suggested for testing before closing everything. No, I do not have rear seat entertainment, just the rear seat comfort.
I am really disappointed that I have not heard anything from the company, though.
Take care and have a great Thanksgiving!
Old 11-22-2023, 09:56 AM

2014 S550, 2007 S600
I’m not surprised at all haha. They based out of China or Taiwan and the language barrier ends up being more frustrating than anything.

In your photo I couldn’t see how it was wired into the Command unit. Assuming it’s correct do you have the dip switches on the CarPlay unit in the correct position?
Old 11-22-2023, 10:18 AM
srh

2014 S550, 2016 GL350
Originally Posted by joeshannon095
I’m not surprised at all haha. They based out of China or Taiwan and the language barrier ends up being more frustrating than anything.

In your photo I couldn’t see how it was wired into the Command unit. Assuming it’s correct do you have the dip switches on the CarPlay unit in the correct position?
I just heard from them. They sent a very generic response, not what I had asked of them. The video link they sent, I think, is copied from one their competitors with their logo on it. It is an old one and the harness doesn't match what I got. - so much for intellectual honesty!

My Command box is tacked in on the left side - I took some of the styrofoam out by the driver' side knee. That is why it is hard to see. I don't have room under the center console.
I am going to look at again just to make sure I don't miss anything.
Thanks, agan!!
Old 11-23-2023, 06:05 PM
SPONSOR

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by srh
I just heard from them. They sent a very generic response, not what I had asked of them. The video link they sent, I think, is copied from one their competitors with their logo on it. It is an old one and the harness doesn't match what I got. - so much for intellectual honesty!

My Command box is tacked in on the left side - I took some of the styrofoam out by the driver' side knee. That is why it is hard to see. I don't have room under the center console.
I am going to look at again just to make sure I don't miss anything.
Thanks, agan!!
It seems that their service is not good. Unfortunately, there are no installation instructions.