S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Add hydraulic fluid to w222

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2023, 12:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
ML 500
Add hydraulic fluid to w222

Hey guys, anybody have any experience adding hydraulic fluid to their w222? I checked my fluids and saw my fluid is below the threshold line (for when the vehicle is cold). Looking to add a liter or at least to the correct line.

My reservoir has the metal clip over the cover, do I open that up and add fluid where the filter is at or can I add where the dip stick is at? I saw videos on YouTube where they added to both of them (older models) but wanted to make sure on this model. Thanks!

PS. Also having trouble turning the cover open, any tips on opening it would be great.

Last edited by jayrawk; 12-06-2023 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-06-2023, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 666 Likes on 522 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
By Hydraulic fluid do you mean Brake Fluid or MBC Suspension Hydraulic fluid? I was thinking about checking my MBC Fluid soon, I think it's located under the drivers side front of the car under the hood and accessed by removing the plastic cover. I see no reason though as to why it would be low unless you have leaks in which case the leaks should be addressed.
The following users liked this post:
jayrawk (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 01:07 AM

ML 500
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
By Hydraulic fluid do you mean Brake Fluid or MBC Suspension Hydraulic fluid? I was thinking about checking my MBC Fluid soon, I think it's located under the drivers side front of the car under the hood and accessed by removing the plastic cover. I see no reason though as to why it would be low unless you have leaks in which case the leaks should be addressed.
Thanks for your reply! I went to the dealer and looks like its the fluid for the MBC (the rep kept saying ABC). I didn't find any leaks anywhere so its pretty weird. I added the fluid though (not a whole lot from the 1L bottle) and been driving for a couple hours and the "ABC Malfunction" message hasn't been on since. Yes, its on the drivers side theres a dip stick there, which is where I added fluid to.
Old 12-07-2023, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 517 Likes on 385 Posts
222 S-65
You got it right OP.

A ‘Mystery leak’ is often a nitrogen bomb dying a slow death. Most common is the one that threads into the pump. Easy replacement but thou shalt be sure the area around it is utterly spotless before replacing it. A can of flammable brake cleaner will do the trick. It will make for a dramatic noise when it happens. Don’t be alarmed... you are now armed with information so you know what to expect.
The following users liked this post:
jayrawk (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 03:02 PM

ML 500
Originally Posted by JohnLane
You got it right OP.

A ‘Mystery leak’ is often a nitrogen bomb dying a slow death. Most common is the one that threads into the pump. Easy replacement but thou shalt be sure the area around it is utterly spotless before replacing it. A can of flammable brake cleaner will do the trick. It will make for a dramatic noise when it happens. Don’t be alarmed... you are now armed with information so you know what to expect.
Thanks, John. Do you by chance know the part number that needs to be replaced? I'm going to keep an eye on it.